Push,Pull or both?

Justin Cider

Weaksauce
Which fan configuration is better for a Swiftech MCR220.It will be cooling a Q6600 with Swiftech apogee and a MCP-355 pump

I don't think I've seen any results that say one way is better than another. I would go for which ever has less resistance nearby, for less fan noise.

i typically do pull...

also have done one push/pull setup in a friends rig...

it depends on how you'll have this setup...basically either will cool equally well if the other components are up to the task...and is all up to personal preference and fitment...

Push+Pull is better than either push or pull by about 30%. I bookmarked the page on my laptop so I have no linky. Maybe someone else will chime in.

i like giving her the pushin but i don't mind a good pull if its offered

FanShroudTest3-38mm2000.png

EDIT: I actually take what I said back. You get about 25-30% gain IF you run a push/pull using fan shrouds. Now this is extremely expensive and space restrictive.

Also, quoted from Martin's Liquid Lab push/pull/fan shroud testing here,

"Push Vs Pull - This depends on fan speed/power. The high speed fans at 2000RPM with a 38mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a push condition. The slow speed fans with 1350RPM with a 25mm fan thickness provided the best performance in a pull condition. I would estimate that performance line is likely to cross in the 1500-1700RPM range where they are equal. So.... slow speed = pull, high speed = push, medium speed = it doesn't really matter."

I like to push, pull is quieter though.

But, soulless, Water out from 9.2c to 7.6c is almost a 30% gain.

OP: You can typically use 2 fans (on a single rad), at 6v, to equal the airflow of 1 of the same fan at 12v, at about 3dba less per 120mm slot on the rad...

I like to push, pull is quieter though.

But, soulless, Water out from 9.2c to 7.6c is almost a 30% gain.

OP: You can typically use 2 fans (on a single rad), at 6v, to equal the airflow of 1 of the same fan at 12v, at about 3dba less per 120mm slot on the rad...

Yea I realized it after I posted >< lol corrected myself.

A OT question for you arcygenical. Do you prefer to have fans sucking in cold air from the top of a case, or exhausting hot air? My question I'll formulate better in my own post but I thought I'd get a quick opinion as it it also may help the OP.

Hmm, well, my case exhausts warm case air, through the radiator, outside. However, the radiator is mounted at the very top of my case, and there are 3 low-speed intake fans that constantly blow cold air into the case bottom... This helps maximize convection, even if it's just a theoretical benefit ;).

The inside of my case is, at most, 1c warmer than the outside case air...

Use cheap fans gutted for shrouds, cost would be around $5 each. You already have the Martinliquidlab.com link so no need to repost that. Go give it a read along with the guides here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202394

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=282232

Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone in FS/FT that has a handfull of dead fans you can get for shipping. That's what I did.

I use push/pull with shrouds unless I have don't have space for the shrouds.

Puss/pull with shrouds here as well.

You can get Yate loons cheap from Jabtech if you need cheap fans or to use as shrouds; $3.60 ea.

I've tried Every setup i can think of with my PA120.2 And as long as you can feel air coming out of the other side. (Fan pushing air through radiator) You really cant get any better. Sure you may get Marginal gains... Less then 1deg C at full load.. As long as your getting air across all the Fins, The Radiator is going to do what its designed to do. The Better your radiator is the less difference you will see by changing the fan config. Its physic... Faster moving air has less contact time with the metal so it wont absorb as much... slower air has more contact time so it pics up more heat. But you don't want the air to be blocked and stay in the radiator. As long as your getting the air out, you'll be fine.

My advice to anybody with this question is try the setups for yourself see what works for your particular setup. no 2 systems will ever get identical results. Do whats best for you.

Hmm, well, my case exhausts warm case air, through the radiator, outside. However, the radiator is mounted at the very top of my case, and there are 3 low-speed intake fans that constantly blow cold air into the case bottom... This helps maximize convection, even if it's just a theoretical benefit ;).

The inside of my case is, at most, 1c warmer than the outside case air...

Yeah, same here. I set up like that simply for tidiness of the build, but it's usually best to bring in cool air through the rad. But the difference is pretty much negligible. The air moves fast enough through that there's not much of temp increase moving hot air into the case if you have things set up properly for airflow. Set it up however you can get away with, TBH.

I usually prefer pull, and with shrouds if possible. Simply for noise issues. If your fans have decent static pressure, you're fine.

My Cosmos S setup is very similar. The rad is mounted in the ceiling of the case with 3 120x38mm Scythe Ultra Kaze fans pushing air up and out of the case. But I also have 3 low speed 120x25mm fans mounted on the roof that pull air out as well. All are hooked to a fan controller - so most of the time, i leave the fat push fans at about 60%.

The Cosmos S's side panel is mesh with a 200mm fan and then a floor fan intaking so the air I feel coming out the top still feels relatively cool.

If you have good ventilation inside the case, you should be good exhausting out I'd think.

I remember reading somewhere on bit-tech that pulling is better since the air-flow would cover more surface area than pushing.

Back