Push or pull?

Xen_x64

n00b
Just a quickie.... Is it better to have the fan on the rad pushing air though or pulling it though thanks in advance!

SOLVED -- Downloaded a modded version of the 1.8 bios and the load temp is a more reasonably 31. But still going to change it to an WaterChill :). Bios can be got from here Thanks for everyones input!!

Read Down!!

I think if moutned on the inside of the case you want it pushing
if rad is mounted outside you want the fan pulling

Geez one quick reply thanks! I see in your sig thermaltake... which model? I have a Aquarius 2 and it sucks bad.... Trying to improve on cooling abit. My is Rad external so I want it pulling, why is it like this :)

pull...

As far as in, or out of the case is concerned, just make sure you have the fan pulling air over the radiator on its way out of the case...

Pulling is generally better. It's easier for a fan to pull air through a rad than to push it due to resistance as the air hits the rad when trying to push it through.

Sod it! Its not making any diff to my temps its going back tomorrow and I am just going to go for a custom kit.... Is 1x 120mm Rad with fan enough to cool and AMD64 3000 winnie?

Xen_x64 said:
Sod it! Its not making any diff to my temps its going back tomorrow and I am just going to go for a custom kit.... Is 1x 120mm Rad with fan enough to cool and AMD64 3000 winnie?

depends...

Just the CPU? What kinda temps are you wanting, are you o/cing?

I have a single 120mm rad on just my NewCastle 3200+ and my temps max around 44c under load...

best way to use the full capacity of a radiator is allways to pull air through the rad.
Because every bit of the rad will be used.Even better is to make a shroud a few inches thick.
But the best way of putting this is; there is much less turbulence with pulling air, then with pushing.And turbulence is a capacity-killer. ;)
It's basic heating-school. :)

Hey,every body is free to mount them however they want.I have one rad pushing, why, because it's to my convenience, I don't care about those few Watts lost. :cool:

Grtz

Temps below 46 oC idle would be nice... I was going to do abit of overclocking just for fun, as in I would o/c then benchmark then go back to stock.

BTW: My stock Hs/f that came with my proc cools better than this! Whats wrong or is the kit just shit?

Looking at replacing it with one of these Asetek WaterChill KT03-L20 Water Cooling Kit I know its an entry kit and that is all I want. Will this be better than what I have got?

NB: Now running 48 idle

Xen_x64 said:
Looking at replacing it with one of these Asetek WaterChill KT03-L20 Water Cooling Kit I know its an entry kit and that is all I want. Will this be better than what I have got?

NB: Now running 48 idle

NB? Are you talking about your Northbridge temps? I think they report falsely high on MSI nf3 boards. What BIOS version are you running, because the default shipping BIOS on MSI nf3 boards reports all temps high...

I have the kit you mentioned, and like I said before it works decently well for me. Froogle for it and you'll find it under $100 without the reservoir, which you can find anywhere else for like $20ish.

I think it is a good kit for beginners that only want to cool one thing and get decent temps...

NB = extra note... I think... dewhite I have the smae mobo as you, except with a winnie 3000 I have updated the BIOS to 1.5, I think I will go for that kit and see what happens!

NB:
An abbreviation for the Latin phrase nota bene , meaning “note well.”
It is used to emphasize an important point.

Momo said:
NB:

Well you learn something new everyday I guess.

BTW we have a similar board, but you have the s939 version, I have the K8N Neo1, which is a s754 solution based on the same chipset...

Momo said:
NB:
gee, and i thought that it meant "this will be on the midterm or final" :p

yes, yes, i already knew what it really stands for, i'm just always suprised at the number of other students that don't take heed when the prof uses that when referring to a concept or problem.

another beauty is when the prof says that "this is a really good question" but hey, it just pushes my grade up.

DFI Daishi said:
gee, and i thought that it meant "this will be on the midterm or final" :p

yes, yes, i already knew what it really stands for, i'm just always suprised at the number of other students that don't take heed when the prof uses that when referring to a concept or problem.

another beauty is when the prof says that "this is a really good question" but hey, it just pushes my grade up.

Must be more popular in other regions. I've finished my BS and started my Masters down here in Texas and I've never seen that abreviation in an academic setting, or any other...

I am, however, very familiar with the 'boy this sure is a good example problem, you might even see something like this on a test sometime' bit ;)

The last time this thread was made...it got ugly.

My favorite comment on that thread was
"Sit in front of a house fan. When it's blowing air on you, do you feel cooler than when it's pulling air off of you?"
The guy wasn't even joking.

I think the final decision from that thread was that pulling is better.

Ok I RMA that cooling system and I have just got off the phone with them ( eclipsecomputers ) And they are not going to refund or replace because, wait for it......... there is still thermal paste on the copper block! The warrenty is now void! wtf! Anybody got any ideas on this??

call them a bunch of assholes. Or sell the cooling to someone else you know, or dont know. For a lwoer price maybe 15$ less, then make your own water cooling for 3 times less than what you paid for your original kit.

I only paid 60 pounds for it. If some one can find me a decent one for under that i'll be inpressed!

Xen_x64 said:
I only paid 60 pounds for it. If some one can find me a decent one for under that i'll be inpressed!

call them back and tell them to charge you 1 pound for a bottle of 99% ISO and clean the shit off.. It's not magic.

ummm,. why didn't i think of that..... But more to the point when I posted it back to them there was no thremal paste on it. And when I told them that they changed there minds and said that the Rad fins were bent...... Sounds fishy!

Xen_x64 said:
ummm,. why didn't i think of that..... But more to the point when I posted it back to them there was no thremal paste on it. And when I told them that they changed there minds and said that the Rad fins were bent...... Sounds fishy!

tell them you're gonna have a talk with your lawyer. Sound harsh and they will try to do to resolve it .. trust me

Is that talking from experince mohammedtaha? The Package should be back here with in a couple of hours and I we see what magic damage has appeared on from when I sent it back!

Note to self: Take pictures of stuff at post office before you send it back! :rolleyes:

Xen_x64 said:
Is that talking from experince mohammedtaha? The Package should be back here with in a couple of hours and I we see what magic damage has appeared on from when I sent it back!

Note to self: Take pictures of stuff at post office before you send it back! :rolleyes:

No I'm not talking from experience because the online shops I tend to deal with, I establish good communication terms before I buy something. I always inquire first and ask questions then buy something. It helps a lot. They know you more and will be willing to do more for you. ;)

What you should do is take a look at the stuff ... if there's new damage, call back and ask them wtf happened and tell them you want full credit and won't buy shit from them again. Send the stuff back and don't pay for shipping, let them pay shipping.

I would atleast try to get money back. Shipping is not that big a deal. You can send it slow mail.

Ok its back. And its in worse condiction then when I sent it to them. Bastards! The pump is cracked, the rad is completely buggered. So anyone got any suggestions? And any suggestions for a custom build cooling system that would good for my spec (in sig) Thanks all!

Xen

Xen_x64 said:
Ok its back. And its in worse condiction then when I sent it to them. Bastards! The pump is cracked, the rad is completely buggered. So anyone got any suggestions? And any suggestions for a custom build cooling system that would good for my spec (in sig) Thanks all!

Xen

A question. Why do you have DDR2 ram in your system ?

Xen_x64 said:

Xen
now, they are saying that something more was wrong with it than was broken before you sent your stuff to them.

you are saying that things are even more badly broken than it was before they sent it back to you.

how carefully did you pack everything before shipping it? did they add any aditional packing material before they sent it back to you?

It came packed in polostarine (i think that is how you spell it!) so all I had to do was just fit it all in back to were it came from. There is no damage on the box what so ever, And the frist guy I spoke to about admitted that is was strange. He dosen't remember that damage being there when he seen it. I then spoke to the manager (Lee) and he sounded off some crap about the Trade Discription Act and told me I was on my own with it..... :confused: I have stumbled across a site that has nothing but complaints about this company in question. I sure as hell willn't be using them again!!

Back