Purpose for ASP.net .

IDF

Limp Gawd
I used to delete it and saw no differences.

What is it their for ? Windowsxp-pro

And whats it do ?

Also if you do delee it as i have in the past it tells you if you want o kepp the files or not. Dont know 100 % what that means exactly other then keeping the files. Wether it might do this or that.

Any elaboration on ASP in laymens terms much app. :D

I'm not sure of it's purpose, but it's a user account created when the .Net framework is installed.

ASP.net is a programing language. It's generally used to create web services and web applications.

If you are developing an ASP.net application, you will need the files. But, if you were developing an application, you probably wouldn't have asked the question.

If you are using an application coded in ASP.net, there is a chance you will need some of the files. That really depends on how the application was written.

Being that the files generally don't take up much space, I would just leave them alone.

The ASPNET user is an account that is installed with the .NET framework. That comes with SP2.

It's useless for most people.

I got rid of ASP becuase, it created its own user account. Im the only one who uses my box and, was tired of having to choose who to sign in at the start.

Joves said:
I got rid of ASP becuase, it created its own user account. Im the only one who uses my box and, was tired of having to choose who to sign in at the start.
I have yet to ever see it listed as a choice on the welcome screen.

you can hide users from the logon screen and control panel by a simple tweak in the registry. I'm not sure where, because i'm on linux right now, but if you search for 'asp.net' in the registry and you come to a folder that has all of your other usernames, you can set it's value to 0 to hide it if you are weary about deleting it.

No need to play in the registry when there is a built in option in XP.
Here are three easy ways to get around it:

1.) Start > Run type lusrmgr.msc. Find the Aspnet account and disable it.

2.) Go to the Control Panel and User Accounts. Click on Change the way users log on or off. Uncheck use the Welcome Screen.

3.)Star > Run type control userpasswords2. Highlight the account you wan to always automatically logon, then uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

ASP.NET is part of the .NET framework that is used to create dynamic web pages within IIS. When the .NET framework is installed on a machine with IIS, ASP.NET is set up as part of the install (IIRC, if IIS isn't installed, ASP.NET is installed, but not registered\set up).

One of the layers of security in ASP.NET is that it can\should run in a low privilege account so that if your web page has a bug, it can't be exploited to gain permissions on the system it's hosted on. This is what the ASPNET account is, it's a specially restricted account that is used to run aspx (ASP.NET) web pages.

One of the down sides though is that XP will show the welcome screen if the ASPNEt account is added to the system. Removing the account won't cause issues if you're not using ASP.NET, but because of what it is, it's not really a security issue and it's nothing to be alarmed about. Though, XP can always be set to auto login with an account, even with ASPNET account present, so it shouldn't be a big issue either way.

Back