Purevideo and H.264 Hardware Acceleration

I have a Core 2 6300, 2GB of DDR2-800, and a XFX 8800 GTS graphics card. When I attempt to playback H.264 encoded movies my system is unable to keep up, as a result action scenes are really jumpy and anytime of seeking will offset the video/audio streams. I understand the 8800 GTS can assist with the H.264 playback... however is this only possible using NVidia's Purevideo codecs? Currently I am using the Combined Community Codec Pack, which includes a couple of codecs, and a splitter for the mkv containers.

Try playing them in vlc player, I have the same problem that hd shit is jumpy with wmp11 with my 8800gtx, I also have purevideo and it works for shit with my 8800gtx, it worked better with my 78s, much better might I add. I now use vlc player to watch hd shit on my rig and it works perfect.

You can get H.264 acceleration on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs by using PowerDVD 7 (Ultra) or WinDVD 8 Platinum, or Nero, but the H.264 codec in that codec pack aren't going to use the hardware acceleration of the card. H.264 in .mkv packages isn't accelerated by the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra, but did in earlier versions. I don't know about the other two.

Why does the program, such as VLC Player, affect the playback of H.264 video? I thought it was the codec's job to uncode the video, no? Furthermore what are other people using to decode H.264 with nVidia graphic cards?

I have a Core 2 6300, 2GB of DDR2-800, and a XFX 8800 GTS graphics card. When I attempt to playback H.264 encoded movies my system is unable to keep up, as a result action scenes are really jumpy and anytime of seeking will offset the video/audio streams. I understand the 8800 GTS can assist with the H.264 playback... however is this only possible using NVidia's Purevideo codecs? Currently I am using the Combined Community Codec Pack, which includes a couple of codecs, and a splitter for the mkv containers.

I think there may be something wrong with your codecs/system.

I am playing 720P and 1080P h264 MKVs on both a C2D 4300 (not OCd) with Intel 950GMA graphics and a C2D 6400 with a 7600GS. No frame drops/jumpyness. I am also using CCCP.

Why does the program, such as VLC Player, affect the playback of H.264 video? I thought it was the codec's job to uncode the video, no? Furthermore what are other people using to decode H.264 with nVidia graphic cards?
Because VLC isn't using the right H.264 codec with proper DxVA acceleration.

dont install community codec paks, they're like sexually transmitted diseases. install ONLY what you require.

for HD, u'll pretty much need coreavc+ffdshow both of which are CPU (primarily for compatibility purposes, ffdshow has some experimental builds for GPU, but it doesn't work properly yet).

Your results are not surprising. Without good HW acceleration, H.264 decode is very CPU intensive. The 8800 has poor H.264 acceleration. Ironically the cheaper 8600 has much better H.264 acceleration. Google "8600 h.264" and you will find an entire review on this topic.

Back