Pure FPS games gone for good?

Thanks guys.. I should have been in bed 2 hours ago but this post inspired me.. Steam has the Quake 2 Demo that I just played through. I remembered every single enemy point, hidden area and weapon location... And haven't played Quake 2 in at least 10 years. I must have spent thousands of hours playing Quake 2 DM when I should have been studying after it first came out..

How many games out there can you say the same thing about? It was also nice to die a few times.. The self healing in games today is nothing like running around with 10 health and trying to regain it..

quake2r.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't miss them at all. They were fun when I was young, no doubt.

Tribes holds a special place in my memory, but I went back and played it again as an adult...not so fun anymore.

I never liked glitchy bunny-hopping like movements that were neither intuitive nor apparent. I especially disliked rocket jumping in damn near every game I've played, I think it's a stupid mechanic and silly to watch.

Nor do I miss carrying 9 weapons of which only 3 were really useful, and the rest relegated to bizarre niche circumstances that rarely occur or the normal scenario of: "well its less crappy than the other 5 crappy weapons I'm carrying..."

Map-control and timing power-ups? Pass. I'm sure it's a great hamster wheel burner for those that enjoy it, but that shit requires attention to the point of feeling like work. I don't have 4+ hours a day to sit and memorize goofy diagonal rocket jump routes while staring at a clock.

The speed and intensity are about the only two aspects I really think are missing, but CoD has that covered pretty well it seems.

Arena shooters need a serious rebirth to stand a chance of succeeding, and all the old lame shit needs to get tossed out the window, or undergo a serious overhaul, to stand a chance.

At the very least MORE information needs to be presented to the user. Watching that Q3 1v1 bored me to death, it's great that he has such intimate knowledge of the game, but that kind stuff needs to be put on the HUD or in-game. The outlandish 30 foot jumps we're just silly looking.

Keeping critical information hidden from users is bad, and unfortunately Arena games are chock full of it.

I really don't miss them at all. They were fun when I was young, no doubt.

Tribes holds a special place in my memory, but I went back and played it again as an adult...not so fun anymore.

I never liked glitchy bunny-hopping like movements that were neither intuitive nor apparent. I especially disliked rocket jumping in damn near every game I've played, I think it's a stupid mechanic and silly to watch.

Nor do I miss carrying 9 weapons of which only 3 were really useful, and the rest relegated to bizarre niche circumstances that rarely occur or the normal scenario of: "well its less crappy than the other 5 crappy weapons I'm carrying..."

Map-control and timing power-ups? Pass. I'm sure it's a great hamster wheel burner for those that enjoy it, but that shit requires attention to the point of feeling like work. I don't have 4+ hours a day to sit and memorize goofy diagonal rocket jump routes while staring at a clock.

The speed and intensity are about the only two aspects I really think are missing, but CoD has that covered pretty well it seems.

Arena shooters need a serious rebirth to stand a chance of succeeding, and all the old lame shit needs to get tossed out the window, or undergo a serious overhaul, to stand a chance.

At the very least MORE information needs to be presented to the user. Watching that Q3 1v1 bored me to death, it's great that he has such intimate knowledge of the game, but that kind stuff needs to be put on the HUD or in-game. The outlandish 30 foot jumps we're just silly looking.

Keeping critical information hidden from users is bad, and unfortunately Arena games are chock full of it.

But you do have time to spend countless hours waiting to unlock the next weapon you need in order to not get slaughtered. You do have time to farm metal or gold so you can buy or craft something you need. You have time to play a slow game like BF3 where it takes you time just to even walk where the action is. You have time to go around ever bigger maps that do not even have boundries and learn every rock and hiding spot that effects the game.

I dunno I totally disagree with this back then if you had skill you could jump into any game and start wrecking people. You could choose your time input. I too have limited time as I get older and its no fun playing games like BF3 where kids packing 14 hour days have way better weapons and gadgets than you. And all you can say is well maybe in a couple months I will have enough stuff, but by then who knows what they might have.

You bastard!!!! Now I'm gonna have to go home and dig for my old hard drive with Quake 2 with all the expansion packs ever made for it... I've spent better part (years) of my youth terrorizing n00bs in it... Ahh, the good'ole days of Gamespy server browser...

Thanks guys.. I should have been in bed 2 hours ago but this post inspired me.. Steam has the Quake 2 Demo that I just played through. I remembered every single enemy point, hidden area and weapon location... And haven't played Quake 2 in at least 10 years. I must have spent thousands of hours playing Quake 2 DM when I should have been studying after it first came out..

How many games out there can you say the same thing about? It was also nice to die a few times.. The self healing in games today is nothing like running around with 10 health and trying to regain it..

quake2r.jpg

This screenshot right here brings back so many memories.

But you do have time to spend countless hours waiting to unlock the next weapon you need in order to not get slaughtered. You do have time to farm metal or gold so you can buy or craft something you need. You have time to play a slow game like BF3 where it takes you time just to even walk where the action is. You have time to go around ever bigger maps that do not even have boundries and learn every rock and hiding spot that effects the game.

I dunno I totally disagree with this back then if you had skill you could jump into any game and start wrecking people. You could choose your time input. I too have limited time as I get older and its no fun playing games like BF3 where kids packing 14 hour days have way better weapons and gadgets than you. And all you can say is well maybe in a couple months I will have enough stuff, but by then who knows what they might have.

Well..no, not really. I haven't touched an MMO in years for one.

I haven't encountered anybody in BF3 yet where I thought their unlocks gave them the edge, hell in BC2 I mostly used the default, early weapons anyway. In beta I tried some of the higher unlocks, and switched back to the default weapons on Engineer/Recon/Support.

Also, spawn on squad/spawn on cap point/spawn in vehicle cuts down travel time a lot.

At least BF3 has a map I can pull up and look at, and HUD elements that indicate when something is going on. The starter weapons ARE good and useful.

I don't have to memorize where to go, there's nothing obscured from me as the player, there's no trick movements, and the weapons you start with perform just as well as the weapons the asshat who's got 50+ hours into the game already.

Old Arena shooters required you to memorize maps (sometimes without even a 2D version to look at) memorize power-up timings, many of which would be different, practice and learn goofy spots in the map's geometry that could exploited with wonky physics and broken mechanics. Some of that stuff is going to require play time spent not playing, especially if you're late to the party.

So now instead of just playing the game in my spare time, I have to do my homework, I have to learn, and read-up, and watch videos, practice goofy glitched out movement tricks, all before I can expect to really succeed. That's the kind of shit I don't have time for.

At least in BF3 I can load up, hop in, and perform well, occasionally topping the scoreboard, without having to devote time to simply learning how to play it.

That's my chief complaint about older FPS games, multiplayer felt like a trial by fire and if you didn't give up in rabid frustration, you finally, maybe, got a chance to really play. After you learned a bunch of obscure shit that sometimes wasn't even intended to be a part of the game.

TFC, how do i miss thee, it's not gone, but it was ruined by the elitist hacking crowd. Same concept as steroids in baseball. The pressure to achieve in a twitch / strategy shooter overwhelms some people.

Well I made this thread as a rant more than anything. I guess other people have had the same thought as me. I am glad I am not alone.

But I still believe that, FPS games have become almost RPGs in a first person view. I get why the developers do it. No one wants to play a game that can't make you "want more". If all you do is run around "shooting" stuff whats the point right?

When I played UT and UT2k4 there didn't seem like stuff getting in my way of what was enjoyable to me. Which was to get good and kick ass.

This screenshot right here brings back so many memories.

Soooooo true.. man oh man Ive been down that hallway so many times... sniff..

could you imagine the kids today screaming cause they couldnt jump and shoot there was so many things we couldnt do back then.. dang it.. wheres that box with those cd's!!

time to go back to the good old days

Games are going to evolve. They need to. Those games of yesteryear were great at the time, but I've played so many games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 it's ridiculous. I want something new. Something with deeper game play mechanics and options. Twitch shooters like Call of Duty are fun, but sometimes you just want more. If you don't, you might as well stick to those old school games. I for one need things to evolve or I get bored.

I feel like the term twitch gaming is an unfair word to use when describing these games. To me, it's all about aiming with accuracy and reacting quickly. Nobody who has ever dominated a game using a railgun when facing an onslaught of enemies can tell me it is even remotely the same feeling as what passes for fps gaming today.

But why is it that everyone decided having more had to mean having less. I mean when I play modern games like BF3 I do like somethings like the graphics. I am really happy when I go into a game like TF2 and I see that the GUI is pretty well built with most of the options people need so they dont have to go combing through console commands and installing custom files and crosshairs. I like the idea of being able to create groups/parties/ join servers in squads etc.. But why is it that people said well we are going to start limiting weapons you carry, slowing everything down to a crawl. Evolving should mean you get better not side track or sacrifice most of the game to get visuals. I never understood why everyone seemed to think that games were either good for graphics or good for gameplay seems to me that there is no reason they cannot be both.

Games are going to evolve. They need to. Those games of yesteryear were great at the time, but I've played so many games like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 it's ridiculous. I want something new. Something with deeper game play mechanics and options. Twitch shooters like Call of Duty are fun, but sometimes you just want more. If you don't, you might as well stick to those old school games. I for one need things to evolve or I get bored.

You are one of the best posters imho, but do not ever call CoD/BF a twitch shooter. It's nothing like a twitch shooter ala UT/Quake. Sorry it's a snails pace.. it's more difficult shooting a newb in ut/quake that can't move. You do not pull 370 degree shots to keep momentum in less than 1 second in CoD. Nothing twitchy about it.

I have no use for pure FPS's anymore like those we used to play.

Having grown up playing all of these when they were originally released (from Wolf3d), I find myself quite content to never play anything like them again.

I wont even touch Serious Sam as I think it sucks. Shooting the same thing over and over again with no story or whatever is boring.

Yea i hate this rank up shit and unlocking weapons. just fucking give me all weapons and shit i can choose from and be done with it

Back