Purchasing Vista Second Hand

Random Guy

Weaksauce
Is there a problem with doing this? If I buy a copy of Vista (not an OEM one) that someone does not want anymore will I have any problems activating it once I install it?

UPDATE: Obviously, this is with the implicit assumption that the person who will sell it to me definitely uninstalls it from their system...

Assuming your two conditions above are true, you should have any trouble. You may have to call in the activation, but that would be it.

I'm a bit fed up with microsoft right now because in the EULA it states that you can only install the retail version on 2 machines (not at the same time). After that its basically useless and the only way to activate is over the phone. I don't think they would give you any problems and I assume they put that in the EULA so they can discontinue Vista support at pretty much anytime.

Since it is a retail version, and assuming whoever you bought it from only installed it on one computer (ties it to the mac address, so he could still upgrade hdd's, gpu's, cpu's, etc.) then you shouldn't have a problem with it at all.

Hope that helps :-D

If you bought the retail version, you should be able to transfer it to other computers, even if you have to call it in. Calling it in is not a big deal, and is generally quick and painless, so I'm not sure what has you fed up with MS about that.

As far as the MAC address, that's only part of the equation. It's a hash made from several hardware IDs and codes. If it was only the MAC address, someone could move the same NIC card in and out of as many PCs as they wanted without tripping the activation.

even the oem can be moved computers.. people really have the wrong idea about what actually happens...A simple call will fix any issue.. thier not trying to prevent you from buying a new computer/set of parts.. the spirit of eula is merely to not have it installed on more than one at home etc ...

if you couldnt move it.. and say your mobo/hd/processor all died.. you would be forced to buy a new copy... thats just not true :)

I have the system builders version and have already switched to a different PC without problems. I just had to talk to an indian guy :p

even the oem can be moved computers.. people really have the wrong idea about what actually happens...A simple call will fix any issue.. thier not trying to prevent you from buying a new computer/set of parts.. the spirit of eula is merely to not have it installed on more than one at home etc ...

if you couldnt move it.. and say your mobo/hd/processor all died.. you would be forced to buy a new copy... thats just not true :)

I have the system builders version and have already switched to a different PC without problems. I just had to talk to an indian guy :p

Technically while you can move an OEM from one computer, your not supposed to according to the EULA.

Technically while you can move an OEM from one computer, your not supposed to according to the EULA.

Thats exactly what I was saying, so if they didn't want to activate it for you they don't have to and you could be stuck with an ugly windows vista DVD and a useless key

Back