Purchasing Vista 64

I know it's been discussed, but can't find it via search. I need some clarification on purchasing 64 bit Vista. As I understand it you have to purchase the 32 bit version, then send away for the 64 bit version. There are no 64 bit install cd's in any boxes that you buy, correct?

Next question is how long did it take for you to receive the cd from Microsoft? Reason I ask is for planning my timing on an upgrade or new build.

Go to your local retailer ask for vista 64, there is no need to buy 32 and then get ms to send u 64.

the situation u are asking about only applies to someone who bought 32 becasue then didn't have 64 hardware and then upgrade to a new pc that is 64 bit. so instead of them buying vista over again they can get the 64 bit from ms cheap since they own 32.

You can get VIsta 64 bit in Home Premium, Business and Ultimate, but only the retail upgrade or full install Ultimate comes with both 64 and 32 bit systems in the box. The one from Newegg is Ultimate OEM 64 bit only, NothingButSoftware has the retail upgrade package for $20 bucks more and will not be tied to your the original installation computer. It's OOS atm, but I think worth the wait....check this site frequently since they will put the OS's on sale from time to time. I bought the retail upgrade Ultimate from them for $169 a little while back :cool:

If you have a friend who has a 64-bit installation DVD you can use his using your own key. The key is not tied down to just one bit version.

Thanks gang. Of course the proper way to purchase this is to click the newegg banner at the top of the forums and then go to order the cd. :cool:

Home Premium Retail upgrade only comes wirh 32 bit. You can upgrade to 64 bit from MS for "free", with just a shipping charge, normally around $10.

You can get the "Windows Anytime Upgrade" disk anywhere for $5. I ordered one from CompUSA and it got here in a few days. And it upgraded my OEM Home Premium 32 to 64.

hmmm well i have vista ultimate, but in the 32bit form, was wondering what to do to get the 64bit version.

Back