Purchasing SLI?

Will you be investing in an SLI video solution?

• Yes, 2 cards SLI asap

Votes: 30 20.3%
  • Yes, 1 card now and a second as an upgrade later

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • No, it's too expensive

Votes: 67 45.3%
  • No, it's just not practical

Votes: 24 16.2%

• Total voters

djskankho

Gawd
I hope no one gets mad at me for making another SLI thread when we already have such a massive one going, but, I really wanted to poll people to see how willing they are to invest in this solution.

Personally, as I've previously vocalized, I don't think this is a good idea and I will probably not be going this route for an upgrade or a new machine.

What do y'all think? Is it worth investing in?

i probly wont buy 2 video card for that till i win the lottery or somethin heh

If Nvidia makes some lower-cost cards with this feature, I think that it could really catch on. A pair of 200$ cards would most likely kill a single 400$ card, if they are from the same generation. It just depends on the adoption rates by mobo manufacturers.

If it were just a matter of buying another MoBo and an xtra vid card, I'd be all in.

As it is, I would have to build a whole new system. I just don't see that happening for at least a year +.

Probably not, unless I had moneybags sitting around. I remember the Quantum 3D Obsidian 24MB Voodoo2 cards costing around $700 back in 1997 :eek:

if i can afford it, then definetly, but i dont think ill have enough money for it when i do a full upgrade next year.

Too expensive. And I say that as a former owner of SLI STB 12MB V2s.

It's not just the cost of the video cards, it also requires upgrading the motherboard to a PCI-E model (at a premium), probably a new PSU, and what will probably be expensive PCI-E cards compared to the price of the AGP models.

The V2 SLI was reasonable because it didn't really require anything extra except a 2nd free PCI slot.

chances are if you have to go with xeon's youll need to get ecc ram too. i like my low latency corsair lol unless they make a duel pci-e mb that uses non ecc ram i know for sure i wont be getting it

I dont care how long ill have to save, i will have one, with 2 xeons and at least 2 gb of ram, most likely ill buy one video card and one proc and 1 gig of memory first, then ill add another proc and video card and the other gig of ram when i have the $$, ill also need a new case and new powersupply to accompany the PCIx power requirements ;)

i wish i could, but i can't justify it. for that much cash you can buy some nice dual LCD monitors and they are even good for your eyes. :)

Ultra Wide said:
i wish i could, but i can't justify it. for that much cash you can buy some nice dual LCD monitors and they are even good for your eyes. :)

Hmmm nice dual LCD's in my mind run couple thousand but then again. I consider nice LCD's capable of at least 1600x1200 meaning at least 20"

hopefully they will release some normal A64, P4, and even opteron boards with dual PCIe, and not just dual xeon boards which need ECC ram.

Bring it on but only if its ATI. I dont want to put 2 power supplies in my PC for the NVIDIA waffle maker part. Man that would take up 4 slots if you went Ultra Nvidia. Think of the noise, it would drown our your vacuum cleaner :D

Its way too expensive for me. But then again I am a broke student.
Yes it sounds interesting and all, but Im not big of a fan of Nvidia. But hey, if the make a quality product with quality drivers, oh well!

laz said:
Its way too expensive for me. But then again I am a broke student.
Yes it sounds interesting and all, but Im not big of a fan of Nvidia. But hey, if the make a quality product with quality drivers, oh well!

Remember. Monitor > video card.

20" LCD will be so much better, if you do more than games.

I have everything I need except for a card (XT or Ultra) and ram...for a new pc...
so my SLI system would be around the GeForce 8 series of cards.

Will absolutly have an SLI gaming platform, but nto right away. I personally will wait for everything to mature. Maybe by then, Intel dual-core solutions will be available, and will make the transition to 64bit cpu (wither amd or intel). My then, the drivers and technology for pci-x / pci-e will have a more apparent improvement over the current AGP 8X.

Not practical. The x800xt tears up almost every game at 1600 (and I play at 1280x10) and there are not a whole lot of games on the horizon that appear more demanding than Far Cry.

I would think that a lot of Nvidia people would now be holding off for a PCI-E mobo and a PCI-E 6800 if just for the SLI connector.

It will probably retain its value more than the AGP, a lot of people will get one and then want the other one sometime in the future, or try to sell it off to somone who wants the second one.

I'm in for the full dual 6800 package, but will probably wait for the nForce 4 solution. I don't see the dual Xeons being necessary on a gaming box.

Since none of the goodies for this actually exist yet, it also kills off any near-term purchases or upgrades on my existing systems. Time to start selling off extra gear...

I'll be grabbing two ultras as soon as I can afford them! Sadly, it may be awhile :rolleyes:

Zamboni said:
I'm in for the full dual 6800 package, but will probably wait for the nForce 4 solution. I don't see the dual Xeons being necessary on a gaming box.

Since none of the goodies for this actually exist yet, it also kills off any near-term purchases or upgrades on my existing systems. Time to start selling off extra gear...

I want two of everything! 2 xeons, 2 video cards, 2 10k rpm raptors in raid 0, 2 power supplies, and 2 gig of memory. Started saving, hopefully have it by Xmas

Zamboni said:

im in the same boat, lol

I had one of those!(Thats what i payed @ EBX :(
heatsinker said:
Probably not, unless I had moneybags sitting around. I remember the Quantum 3D Obsidian 24MB Voodoo2 cards costing around $700 back in 1997 :eek:

Visable-assassin said:
since when is more speed not practical?
If you feel that way you shouldnt OC a thing...

Since it comes at the price of so much size (and likely heat). We SFF people are stuck with single-slot solutions. Not that I currently mind, this x800pro is a real work-horse. The only other card I may get anytime soon is the 6800gt or ultra to replace my 5900.

Back