purchasing from USA to canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

cennis

Limp Gawd
will I get charged duties or brokerage fees for purchasing a used CPU from the USA to Canada?

In theory, you should pay custom's fees based on the declared value. Many ask that the seller mark it as a gift of low value to avoid paying such fees. As a seller, I typically do not like to ship overseas (even to Canada) due to the extended ship time (people get antsy when something doesn't show up 2 days later when you send it to another country, it takes time!), the fights over customs fees/declarations, and most importantly, the lack of cheaper tracking (no Postal Tracking beyond the US, and UPS/FedEX are much more expensive for items leaving the country).

Thanks, does reducing the marked value have implications for buyer protection with paypal?
will they cover the full cost I paid? or just the declaration

Depends on the province but you will usually be charged hst plus whatever fee depending on the province. Honestly with usps and if the item was bought for and declared as worth under $100 I never get charged anything. DHL and UPS always charge me, also stay the hell away from the cheap UPS option, those bastards charge a $30 brokerage fee regardless of the item worth.

Theirs a specific USPS option.... GXG where customs is fat rate irrespective of cost of item.

Global Express Guaranteed at USPS is very expensive but is "flat-rate" customs that is included in the price of shipping.

Last I checked it was like 130 bucks though whether you send 1 lb or 20 lbs. (This would still be less than say customs cost on an ultra high end item)

It DOESN't get handed to canadian customs at the border. Its directly carried through by a Fed-Ex Agent by hand.

And it is GUARANTEED 1-3 days the guy gets it in their hand. From the day you drop it off at the post office....

I've personally shipped 3 laptops, Alienware, ROG and an Acer and didn't have any customs paid by either party.

All 3 times the dude got the item the Next day. Literally. (From Chicago to Toronto/Mississauga)

https://www.usps.com/ship/gxg.htm?

(says nothing about the flat rate customs being included in cost because usps's website in general is useless garbage but you can ask at the post office. its real)

I've noticed that not alot of people are aware of this. But its their and exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back