• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Purchased: 2407FWP

reveille_83

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
238
I ordered this monitor last week and specifcally asked for revision A02. Recieved revision A01. I checked the banding problem. It is clearly visable on "Gaming" & "Multimedia" mode. I seem to have a hard time seeing it in "Normal" mode. Is this an explanation of the "Fix". "Normal" mode = no banding?
 
reveille_83 said:
I ordered this monitor last week and specifcally asked for revision A02. Recieved revision A01. I checked the banding problem. It is clearly visable on "Gaming" & "Multimedia" mode. I seem to have a hard time seeing it in "Normal" mode. Is this an explanation of the "Fix". "Normal" mode = no banding?

Where do you live? Are you returning it?
 
Sorry,

I was trying to make this thread a question about the banding problem. After doing some research I have found out that revision A02 fixes the banding problem in All Modes.

I live in Vermont, and I have already been issued a return. I should see it at the end of the week. I am hoping they don't send me anything but revision A02!

I will have some pictures up when I get it!
 
A02 version that was delivered in Australia uses the same firmware as A01 and the banding is still not fix on on multimedia and gaming mode. Essential as of now I see no difference between A01 and A02.
 
The banding will be there in multimedia and gaming mode. The faroujda processing is still on in the other modes. Gaming mode is intended to be used when hooking up a console and multimedia is intended when being used with a dvd player or such. Use desktop mode and banding "should" be gone. I think I read on Dell that A01 implemented teh firmware fix and A02 had other updates.

Also you cannot specify what firmware revision you receive. If you think a salesperson can actually specify this in an order you are crazy. Eventually all of these monitors will be updated though.
 
[QUOTEAlso you cannot specify what firmware revision you receive. If you think a salesperson can actually specify this in an order you are crazy. Eventually all of these monitors will be updated though.[/QUOTE]

...especially Dell sales people halfway round the world. :mad:
 
I luckily have American contacts as I do lots of orders through my small business. Well, I might as well have A02 as I was promised. I will let you all know how it turns out and I will have pictures up asap! =D
 
Dell's insisting on kind "special" processing, which is originally on the normal/game/video and now on game/video, must mean something. Both modes feature highly dynamic image change. Maybe reducing color resolution (banding) could fix some inherited shortcomings of PVA panel and overdrive, likely variable latency, noise etc. Many video formats, such as DVD, is not true color anyway. I suggest we run tests, such as the lag test, on the three modes to see if there is some difference.

This banding issue must not be that simple as we think. Otherwise Dell will simply get all modes fixed at the first place. Dell is doing tradeoff on what is important to users in different application senarios. Static gradient image is not typical in video/game. If it is the case, you should use desktop mode. Run actual applications to see if banding bothers you or not. Don't you think?

As I read in some Chinese forum, A02's firmware is the same as A01's. A02 is currently delivered in China, one of the places where 2407 is made.
 
I guess my question to this problem is why is the banding still supposed to be intended with the Gaming or Multimedia modes? Also in link provided above I'm assuming that he is saying the desktop mode has the faroujda process completely turned off while in the other two modes you can choose whether or not this process is turned off?
 
zflajs, probably we should ask what is the benefit of this faroujda process. If you focus on banding issue alone, you will never find out why the hell Dell want banding in video and game. I dont' think Dell wants it intentionaly. Banding (equivalently reduced color resolution) is a by-product. I guess it is something related to overdrive. Users always want perfection. But nothing is perfect. From engineering and Dell's point of view, the benefits from the faroujda process must be bigger than the issue of banding in game and video, which is why although they are aware of banding issue they did not give up that process in both modes.

If you are so desperate about the banding issue, you could use desktop mode all the time. As a matter of fact, many monitors only have this desktop mode. It should not be a problem. On the other hand, if we continue complaining about it, probably Dell will completely drop the process, since there is no point to keep it if most users don't appreciate it at all. :D
 
shimh said:
zflajs, probably we should ask what is the benefit of this faroujda process. If you focus on banding issue alone, you will never find out why the hell Dell want banding in video and game. I dont' think Dell wants it intentionaly. Banding (equivalently reduced color resolution) is a by-product. I guess it is something related to overdrive. Users always want perfection. But nothing is perfect. From engineering and Dell's point of view, the benefits from the faroujda process must be bigger than the issue of banding in game and video, which is why although they are aware of banding issue they did not give up that process in both modes.

If you are so desperate about the banding issue, you could use desktop mode all the time. As a matter of fact, many monitors only have this desktop mode. It should not be a problem.

I was going to ask that as well but too many questions makes a bad post.. :(
 
Back
Top