Purchase the Ipad with 3G or without?

Hey guys I would like to purchase the Ipad but I'm not sure if I should get it with the 3G or without. Do you think that it's worth it going with the Ipad 3G? Thanks

1. Are you mobile alot?
2. When you're mobile do you have wifi access?

Do I think it's worth the extra $130 + $14.95/month? No. No I don't.

Over two years, that works out to an additional $488.80 in costs over the WiFi iPad. Something to think about.

The extra money and the extra wait weren't worth it to me. Not when I can tether.

I went with the wifi model. 3G would have ended up costing too much in the long run.

3G is contract free, so you can turn it on when you need to.

I realized that at home, I have wifi. At work, I have wifi. At my parent's I have wifi. At my wife's parent's house I have wifi. Those are the primary places I'll be using mine.

The only time I don't have wifi for any length, is when I'm mobile in the car for the once a month 4 hour car trips back and forth between NJ and Massachusetts visiting my in-laws, and for that I turn my work phone into a verizon hotspot (hacked xv6700).

If I developed a lengthy commute to work daily requiring train travel or I had to start doing a lot of multi site work at places where I don't have wifi access, I might consider it. Until then I chose the wifi and saved myself the $130.

For all my daily stuff when I'm away, I always have my iphone.

Remember it's not something that will fit in (most) pockets so think about where you're going to use it and where you can wifi. The one exception might be if you NEED the gps unit.

Get the one with wifi and get an EVO 4G. :D

This is my exact plan. I have my iPad right now and use it on wifi probably 90% of the time, and tether from my pre whenever I need to.

When the evo 4g comes out I will get that and tether with my iPad using 4g. :)

Why waste the extra $130 plus 3G plan when you can just tether without having to pay for another data plan? I tether my iPad with MyWi when there's no wifi around and it works great.

If you absolutely have to get the ipad now, get it without 3G. If you want it with 3g I'd wait for the next generation. But if course if you don't have the patience or do have the extra money, go ahead and get the 3G now. In my honest opinion, I'd get the non-3G model. Think of what you could do with the $130 you saved! :)

I have the wifi and it works in every place i go. Its not as portable as people might think, that's what ,y cell phone is for.

Plus in the long run thats a lot of dimes.

I think in the next year or two more and more phones are going to be able to function as a 3/4g wifi hotspot. Once this happens, no need for it on the ipad.

I bought the wifi version since I figured that even though i travel a lot, most hotels provide wifi nowadays, at least in the countries I travel to.

I bought the wifi version since I figured that even though i travel a lot, most hotels provide wifi nowadays, at least in the countries I travel to.

Most of the hotels I've been to make me pay $15-20/day for sub-par internet access.

Although if you were overseas I'm not sure if you'd even have 3g access from the iPad.

I think in the next year or two more and more phones are going to be able to function as a 3/4g wifi hotspot. Once this happens, no need for it on the ipad.

Thanks guys. I have an Iphone 3GS with Internet Access. Will I be able to use my Iphone as a 3G Wifi Spot and connect to the internet on my Ipad?

I pre-ordered the 3G version. I'm not sure how much I'll need it,and for an extra $130 it is a bit much, but I think it will help for resale value.

It probably will help the resale value, but the extra value will be less than $130 so it will be a larger loss when the time comes. The only reason I thought about it was for the gps but no way would I pay that much to get gps, plus the cost of additional gps software, etc. Well that and my phone works really great for that already.

Yup and if you haven't jailbroken and your at the latest firmware... 3.1.3 your out of luck.

I would get the 3G...after two Ipads that had the "wifi" issue, I returned the second one for full refund..I would only get the 3G model now.

Why waste the extra $130 plus 3G plan when you can just tether without having to pay for another data plan? I tether my iPad with MyWi when there's no wifi around and it works great.

TSRH

Back