Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i still run an opty 170 in my lanparty sli-dr, so many UT2k4 hours on this rig

Holy crap...my setup before my current Q6600 (@3.2GHz on the day I bought it) was an Opty 175 @2.4GHz. I still have all the parts, but after winning the ASUS Z87 PRO on here...I don't know what I would use it for once I finally step off my wallet and buy the additional $700 in parts I would need to upgrade. The 6600 would probably be better at almost everything I would want to do with it (over the Opty 175), and use less power in the process.. Meh. I can never get rid of old PC parts...I STILL have my AMD K6-3-450 that would run @600MHz :(

All that stuff does is take up space :( I never use it for anything and can't bring myself to even "throw it out". :(

I still have my 0550vpmw topless 170... I should slap it back in a DFI board and have some fun with it. It used to run at 2.8ghz pretty easily. :)

Last edited:
If these were my forums I'd ban you for acting like a dumbass.

Wow way to be a dick to another member man..What if he happened to have to reboot said system and it brought back some memories and he decided to see if anyone was still running one? I know his post didn't really say that per say, but he did say he still had his and is still using it..You know, using the cpu that was the main discussion of this thread?

That being said, since this thread was brought back to life in an Android like fashion, I always wondered why AMD never took the excellent design and slapped (2) dual core dies together to get a quad core out before (or in the same time frame as) Intel? Sure, it would have been the same design as Intel's first quads (non native), but it would still have kicked Intel's ass since the dual cores were happily doing it..

Who knows if they had done that and used the extra time for further R&D on the first Phenom, where would they be now? Think about it..If PI wasn't late, hot, poorly clocking, and did not suffer from the TLB bug where AMD might be now? The whole butterfly effect and all...

AMD's chips wouldn't have worked as easily in that setup. It's the curse of an on-die memory controller. They would have needed a new socket, though maybe they could have used two single channel memory busses. The G34 socket works for that sort of thing though. A 16 core G34 chip has 2 NUMA nodes. It doesn't have quad channel ram, it has two dual channel setups built into a single chip. Since Intel was still using a northbridge + FSB setup they could just add a second CPU to the FSB, just like they did for dual CPU systems.

With all this talk about Opteron 1xx chips I feel like the odd man out. I built an Opteron machine back in 2005, but I bought a pair of 246s. A few years later (2009 I think) I upgraded to a couple 285s I picked up on eBay. I ran that rig until early 2012, then built a socket 2011 rig. I've still got plenty of Opterons around though. I have a couple of quad socket F machines in my basement, plus a pair if dual socket 940 boxes I'm not really doing anything with at the moment- my old 2x285 machine plus a 2x275 box a friend gave me when he retired it.

I'm sorry I "necro'd" the thread as you called it. I felt nostalgic when I saw in my subscriptions. I guess the guy who called me a dumbass never bought parts and built his own system, and still be proud of it years later.

Just delete the thread already

sam_fisher said:
I'm sorry I "necro'd" the thread as you called it. I felt nostalgic when I saw in my subscriptions. I guess the guy who called me a dumbass never bought parts and built his own system, and still be proud of it years later.

Don't worry about that rodent, I know a lot of sites have rules against necro'ing but I never really saw the big deal. At least your post was still relevant to the topic.

AMD's chips wouldn't have worked as easily in that setup. It's the curse of an on-die memory controller. They would have needed a new socket, though maybe they could have used two single channel memory busses. The G34 socket works for that sort of thing though. A 16 core G34 chip has 2 NUMA nodes. It doesn't have quad channel ram, it has two dual channel setups built into a single chip. Since Intel was still using a northbridge + FSB setup they could just add a second CPU to the FSB, just like they did for dual CPU systems.

With all this talk about Opteron 1xx chips I feel like the odd man out. I built an Opteron machine back in 2005, but I bought a pair of 246s. A few years later (2009 I think) I upgraded to a couple 285s I picked up on eBay. I ran that rig until early 2012, then built a socket 2011 rig. I've still got plenty of Opterons around though. I have a couple of quad socket F machines in my basement, plus a pair if dual socket 940 boxes I'm not really doing anything with at the moment- my old 2x285 machine plus a 2x275 box a friend gave me when he retired it.

Yea I knew the on die memory controller would have posed an issue still using Socket 939, but they went to a new socket with the launch of the PI anyway (AM2)..The idea actually came to me based on the exact same example you offered, the G34 setups..

i was lucky enough to get hold of a dual SocketF alienware machine sporting a brace of Opteron 2212's, athlon dual-core Arch at 2GHz.

then even luckier to be able to buy a brace of Opteron 2358 SE's, phenom quad-core Arch at 2.4GHz for just £18 each!

happy days.

Don't worry about that rodent, I know a lot of sites have rules against necro'ing but I never really saw the big deal. At least your post was still relevant to the topic.

The big deal is people will necro threads to up their post count, and on [H] forums and many others that is a big deal since there is a minimum post count to get into the For Sale/Trade section to be recognized as a someone who actually is here to use the community as intended and not scam and/or spam other sellers. Postcount also is used as one of many metrics people use to gauge other member's and their trustworthiness (although post count should not be relied on completely). In that regard, a corporate shill could get on the forums and build a postcount to gain trustworthiness and thus sway people's opinions. The final reason is people simply don't want to look at a list of threads that are old and irrelevant. If you can't figure any of this out on your own, you have no right to be calling another member a "rodent". Stay classy NaroonGTX. Keep up with the personal insults and your already short 4 month tenure here won't last much longer.;)

I was as nice as possible giving a reminder. I included the emoticons also to ensure they understood I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. The mods will decide if its necro'ing or not. That isn't my call. I was simply trying to give a friendly reminder to a fellow member so they don't get an infraction. I'm sure if you guys continue to discuss the topic and provide meaningful additions to the information at hand, the mods will have no problem with it.

I've said my piece, no more needs to be said.

Maybe you should let the mods do they're job and stop worrying about what other people say or do. I think your handle here fits you well.

There's no emoticon needed to convey what I just said.

Maybe you should let the mods do they're job and stop worrying about what other people say or do. I think your handle here fits you well.

There's no emoticon needed to convey what I just said.
I was nice to you and now you are attacking me? LMAO. Good thing I came up with a handle that perfectly demonstrates that I don't get offended easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back