Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real world performance? Doesn't really matter. It has a significant bearing on e-penis size though...
tongue.gif

enlightenedby42 said:
Real world performance? Doesn't really matter. It has a significant bearing on e-penis size though...
tongue.gif

Ah lol Well, this G.Skill stuff I got can't even do 280mhz.....kinda pissed off about that :p How well does yours OC?

Kankykur7 said:
got mine today :cool: the stepping is CCBWE 0551UPMW. i got a AC freezer 64 pro with it,and when i flipped the retention part the fan got stuck in the retention clip so i have it on there kinda ghetto right now. ill fix it tommorow, the temps arent bad at all anyways. ill start O/Cing too. :D

You're probably going to be disappointed with that Freezer 64 pro. I had the non-pro hsf, and it just sucked major ass for oc'ing. The fan is too small and too slow to keep up with high oc on a 3000 venice, let alone a dual core.
Even ripping the stock fan off and strapping a high cfm 120mm fan on it did pretty much nothing to help cooling. The remains now sit on top of the dvd rack collecting dust. The only thing it does very well.

Ouch, I was looking into that one for a second also! Good thing I went with the Zalman. It might not be better than the Ninja or that Thermaltake thing, but it sure is pretty! :D

Nothing wrong with the 9500. Does it have the blue leds? (I like blue leds :D).
The ninja worked great for me, and still does on my 2nd box. I pushed its cooling ability to the max by strapping a 2nd 120mm fan to it (push/pull) and it dropped temps another 4-5C.

SpoogeMonkey said:
Nothing wrong with the 9500. Does it have the blue leds? (I like blue leds :D).
The ninja worked great for me, and still does on my 2nd box. I pushed its cooling ability to the max by strapping a 2nd 120mm fan to it (push/pull) and it dropped temps another 4-5C.

Thats awesome! And yeah, my Zalman does have blue LEDs :)

picture0626ex.jpg

ok so my 170 does 2.6 on stock volts and dual primed for 8 hours with temps in the mid to high 40's. suprisingly anything above that requires almost a voltage of 1.5+ so i think ill stick here for a while. i'm not dissapointed :cool:

Some of these temps you guys are getting are pretty high.

I don't think I've ever neared those kinds of temperatures, while gaming, oc'ing, etc. etc.

IF anything, during OC, the system would just shut down. Other than that...no temperature problems with the Thermaltake Armor case, Zalman 9500. oh yes, I'm also using Arctic Silver 5, as instructed on their website, using the "grain of rice" method.

Everything is running just fine for me :) 2.8 is sweeeeet

My temps aren't the best, but everything has but running smoothly w/o crashing so thats cool lol. The only thing that concerns me is my PWM IC temp....it hits like 59* after gaming.

Yeah, the temps are awfully high but I think they were both using subpar coolers at first. Also, you have an Armor and I have a Stacker which are both some of the better cooling cases available, so that definately helps.

Heck, mine barely tops 50 even at nearly 1.6v while dual priming. I stay around 40-42 regardless of load @ 2.7 and 1.5v.

Tiger has a better stepping that does higher speed at lower voltage, so he's officially dead to me.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Something must be wrong with something because dual priming takes my CPU to like 55-55* at 1.5 and with the fan at max ( using AS5 as well...applied like everyone else does )

Anyone know what stepping newegg is shipping of the Opteron 170s?

circuitbraker, from what I understand the Zalman performs much better if you position it so that the fan blows directly into an exhaust fan in the case, preforably 120mm. Not sure if you've done that already, but it could help.

enlightenedby42 said:
circuitbraker, from what I understand the Zalman performs much better if you position it so that the fan blows directly into an exhaust fan in the case, preforably 120mm. Not sure if you've done that already, but it could help.

It is lol, but i have a 80mm. My PWM IC temp is the only thing that bothers me b/c it gets pretty hot after gaming.

Enlightened :( I'm not dead :(

hehehe...as for the Zalman blowing out to an exhaust...I agree. Mine is blowing out a 120mm and it's as cool as a cucumber. :)

A lot of people are going the Opteron 170 route, and it's cool to see people actually learning from a shared experience here ;)

Mine does just fine with the SI-120 and an Panaflo ultra high speed. Sure, it sounds like a cross between a passenger jet and a leaf blower...but very effective!!

Just messin Tiger. I'm real happy with my 2.7...still an FX-60 and then some.
biggrin.gif

This is the thread that will not die! lol

I wish I could get 3ghz stable....I don't want to melt the thing though! Like with our new warm weather outside, my PWM IC idle temp is 45*! My chipsets idle temp is the same :(

What to do... :(

See, one thing I kinda like about the SI-120 is it hangs over a big chunk of the motherboard so you have air moving over other components a bit more...you could always "southern enginner" a fan above the power management part of the board and see if that helps.

enlightenedby42 said:
See, one thing I kinda like about the SI-120 is it hangs over a big chunk of the motherboard so you have air moving over other components a bit more...you could always "southern enginner" a fan above the power management part of the board and see if that helps.

I tried, and the temps didn't even move...how wierd is that?

Circuit, if you (and I) had water......we could probably get our Opty's to 3 GHz.....

Though its not cheap. Is 200MHz more worth 200 bucks?

Not really, I can only game at 1680x1050 anyways so my CPU is kinda worthless anyways lol 2.8ghz is nice and stable :) I just need to knock my temps down <.<

Maybe i'll get a new case....maybe. I love the way mine looks though, all these new cases look like riced out civics.

Haha....good call IMO.

My case looks like a bunker or a bomb shield. Its solid enough.....

Good luck with your 550 Opty!

As for cases, I specifically chose my Thermaltake Armor, for the flexibility it offered. It's large, very airy and allows me to do other things in the future, such as accomodate a BTX board if I need to.

What I really need is a lesson in CABLING. I'm ashamed to say, my box insides look horrendous, compared to how neatly some of you organize your cabling.

:(

Yeah, my cabling job is horrible. Maybe we should both put pics up in the "rate my cables thread"....I always set out to be neat about it, and it always like like a wire factory exploded inside my case. I'm using a Stacker too, which is every bit as massive as the armor, so I have no good excuses...lol.

One of the problems is I have a Sony DVD burner, and a Plexwriter Premium, and they didn't like being on the same IDE channel, so I have two ide cables now...blegh. where to start...

Running in windows right now at 250 x 10. Going to duel prime it now. I pulled out the old chip, which is my GF's 3500+ (building her computer soon). It's also 0550, which would explain why I could run 2.5ghz (250 x 10, instead of 11), with the stock voltage and sink. I never pushed it further, but I could game and prime it for hours on end and never crashed it.

Nice.

Good luck Eurin, keep us posted on your results.

As for cabling...I've managed to move things out of the way of my "Air Flow" in the case. But it's still a mess compared to some of the guys in here.

More specifically, mine is an 0550UPMW. Twice now, it has failed duel prime on core 0 at around 90 mins.

I upped the voltage the next increment to 1.375 (cpu-z shows 1.40 under full load). Since this is the same chipset as the X2 (Toledo in cpu-z), is it easily safe in the 1.35 to 1.40 range, as the X2?

Hmm, well I am using the stock copper heat pipe HSF, and I hear it's good. I've got a sonata II case with the the intake pulling outside air directly on the cpu w/ a 92mm panflo..

Yeah, you're good til at least 1.5, and can usually go a bit beyond if you temps are good. You're sittin pretty at >1.4.

For a LAN party this weekend, I was steady with 2.5ghz at 1.4V. It also primed 8hrs before hand, before I had to stop it to load the computer into the car.

Previously, prime failed on Core 0 at 1.35 and 1.375 V 90 mins in on both voltages at 250 x 10. I'm retrying to find the cap at stock voltages out of curiousty, and I've been running around 5 hrs now at 2.45GHz just fine.

What do you set your duel prime tests to? I've been mixing it up, but with different torture tests on different cores.

I got the 0550UPMW and max stable at 2.6ghz @ 1.4v. I guess i have that can't reach 2.7 @ 1.4V

Eurin...

refer to the ECLIPSE guide for torture test on prime95.

Your numbers seem a bit low though...I would expect you to get at least 2.5-2.6 easy. Strange...

Alright, thanks.

I appear to be duel prime stable at 249 x 10 (which arounds to exactly 2500.0 Mhz). As soon as I use ClockGen and go to 250-251, prime will fail. Is the HTT that sensitive with a 4x multi?

I'm still at stock voltages. I could try further, but I will prob have to drop to 3x HTT multi. Is there any performance hit dropping the multi to get 260-270 HTT?

Edit: Primed for 8.5 hours overnight, I've got the clock I wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back