Purchase NOW or LATER (Opteron 170)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredTiger

Limp Gawd
What is the general concensus here regarding purchasing OPTERON 170 at the current price break?

Will the price continue to stay low or is this is a "Get it NOW" type of price break? Anyone know?

Thank you.

i REALLY doubt it will go back up, ive personally never known a piece of hardware to drop in price, and then go back up.

heheh *Mr. Burns' hand rubbing*

exxxxcellent! :)

Just what I wanted to hear!! :)

Thanks Kruel.

Chickan said:
When newer games and drivers come out, the dual core cpus will surely kick some butt. Also the opteron 170's have been overclocking rather well (saw a screen shot of 2970mhz). And they are only like $50 more than opt 165/x2 3800.

noooooo problem, oh.. and as for having a doubt in the OC department when it comes to the opterons, just take a look at the quote above.. ive seen the same screen shot that guy did.

SKy042 said:
That guy though is on water cooling.

Yes, but thats still a damn fine overclock. 2.8ghz should be possible on air if not more. THese chips are running cool.

Traditionally, the first runs of AMD Processors have been the best overclockers.

If I didnt just get my 144 (At 2.88Ghz Stbale on Air btw) I'd be getting a 170 right now... I still might :)

krueL said:
i REALLY doubt it will go back up, ive personally never known a piece of hardware to drop in price, and then go back up.
Then you either have never bought RAM, or you just haven't been buying hardware for a long time.

Generally, CPUs prices do not increase over time, so waiting is never a bad choice. However, it may be that future S939 opterons won't OC as well. Also Price-gouging could have a short-term effect that will lead to higher prices.

Impaqt said:
Traditionally, the first runs of AMD Processors have been the best overclockers.

you just HAD to say that, didn't you? I mean, I was all content on not buying a 165, but now.... *grrr* maybe I have to after all.

drizzt81 said:
you just HAD to say that, didn't you? I mean, I was all content on not buying a 165, but now.... *grrr* maybe I have to after all.
I bought a 165 just last night actually.

Man SKY!!! NOOooOoOo

I was all happy that I didn't have to shell out several bills this month. :eek:

Now you're telling me that future chips could SUCK or not be as cheap :(

ARGH!!! Oh CPU GODS, GRANT ME SOME MONEY!!!

What would you guys do...buy the motherboard first or the chip.

Whichever I buy, I can't buy the other until a month after. So basically, if I get the chip, the earliest i can get the board will be next month :( and vice versa.

Your thoughts folks?

Then again, next months chips could OC to 3.0Ghz..... And you buy one and yours does not OC for shit, or you could get one of the "bad" steppings, and OC higher than all the rest.

You never have anyway of knowing.. you just roll the bones....

hahah I see...roll the bones eh?

Ok, guys...I'm gonna try and run with this. Wish me luck, I'm going to order one online today. Man, I'm nervous about spending this much money all at once :p

Thanks for all your advice guys.

So...going for the CPU first, is a good idea :)

Impaqt said:
sometimes, but not always. the single core opterons are holding steady, if not improving a bit with the later batches

AAAACK!!

ECLIPSE and you guys!! I did it!

I bought an OPTERON 170!! :D

Wow, I'm freaking out here. Spent a good chunk of change...sheesh, now I gotta eat bread and cold cuts for a few weeks :) hehehe

Thanks to you all for your great advice and support.

Great forum!

I plan on asking many more questions, as I slowly purchase more components and start to build my gaming rig.

ECLIPSE, I will be relying on your OC guide heavily in the future, I hope that I can learn as much as possible from you and your expansive knowledge of OC'ing and assembling stable systems.

(cf)Eclipse said:
sometimes, but not always. the single core opterons are holding steady, if not improving a bit with the later batches

Well, It was certainly true for Venice and San Diego as well.

drizzt81 said:
Then you either have never bought RAM, or you just haven't been buying hardware for a long time.

Generally, CPUs prices do not increase over time, so waiting is never a bad choice. However, it may be that future S939 opterons won't OC as well. Also Price-gouging could have a short-term effect that will lead to higher prices.

Yea, i forgot about ram :/ that is the only thing ive ever known to see-saw. I thought of that before i went to bed.. didnt feel like getting up to edit, so i thought to myself "bleh, i'll just take some flaming."

Impaqt said:
Well, It was certainly true for Venice and San Diego as well.
yeah, it does seem that way, a bit. i think it's just a matter of binning, they didn't care in the beginning :p

BoredTiger said:
ECLIPSE, I will be relying on your OC guide heavily in the future, I hope that I can learn as much as possible from you and your expansive knowledge of OC'ing and assembling stable systems.
:cool:

good luck man, i'm actually kinda envious :p

well to any one thinking about getting a 170 Monarch RAISED its price on the retale from 377 to 399 fuckers OEM was still 352 last i looked today

i just got the OEM with 3 year warranty, cheaper than retail and i dont need the HSF. id get it now to get a good week/stepping

CCBWE 0530 is what im hoping for

Terr0r said:
i just got the OEM with 3 year warranty, cheaper than retail and i dont need the HSF. id get it now to get a good week/stepping

CCBWE 0530 is what im hoping for

i got that too since it came out about $25 cheaper than the retail

Elios said:
well to any one thinking about getting a 170 Monarch RAISED its price on the retale from 377 to 399 fuckers OEM was still 352 last i looked today

OMFG man.. WTF! fucking MWAVE has upped their price on the retail 170 to $395!.. knew it was too good to be true :rolleyes:

krueL said:
Yea, i forgot about ram :/ that is the only thing ive ever known to see-saw. I thought of that before i went to bed.. didnt feel like getting up to edit, so i thought to myself "bleh, i'll just take some flaming."
your welcome :)

Congrats on the new Opteron man. :) These guys are quite the trendy-beast...I just started reading up on them two days ago and the egg jacked the prices way up on the 165 and 170 within an afternoon I noticed.
Anyway, I'm totally feeling your pain here. I have an opportunity to sell my current rig off and start over again...Its like an addiction. I'm starting to get the shakes and the giddy excitement of jumping into the unknown. Keep us posted on what you think of it because I might just have to lose my mind and do the same thing.
Man, I need a cheaper hobby. I think smoking crack would be cheaper than this shit. :)

What motherboards are you guys looking at for OC'ing these?

I was thinking about getting a 165 with an older Neo2 K8N from MSI so I could keep my GF6800 Ultra (bfg oc) in an AGP slot.

^ I second that. From what I've read the DFI NF4 boards seem to be the least troublesome. I don't know, all the problems people are having with motherboards for these beasts is kind of making me nervous about letting go of my rock solid 865 board. So yeah, what's working for people?

GREAT follow up question...

I am being told by some people that the board I selected may not be up to par :(

I was looking to purchase the ASUS A8N-Sli Premium (dig the heatpipe and other features).

A friend of mine is pushing the FATALITY board on me (Abit).

Your thoughts people?

Enlighten! hahaha LOSE YOUR MIND, GO AHEAD...JOIN ME IN MY DELIRIUM :)

Oh yea, one more thing!

I too bought the OEM from MONARCH with a 3 year warranty.

Was that the smart way to go? I did this only based on price. Am I losing something by not purchasing the retail version?

I am noticing a lot of you are saying that there is no Heat Sink Fan. Is that the case?

That's not bad right? I mean, I should get a different cooling solution for this chip anyways to OC, yes? :)

So many questions...sorry guys.

BoredTiger said:
Oh yea, one more thing!

I too bought the OEM from MONARCH with a 3 year warranty.

Was that the smart way to go? I did this only based on price. Am I losing something by not purchasing the retail version?

I am noticing a lot of you are saying that there is no Heat Sink Fan. Is that the case?

That's not bad right? I mean, I should get a different cooling solution for this chip anyways to OC, yes? :)

So many questions...sorry guys.

Nah your not really losing anything, all retail usually does is warrentee from AMD, and a heatsink, and sometimes a cool sticker, other than that your not losing out at all

Chilly

BoredTiger said:
Enlighten! hahaha LOSE YOUR MIND, GO AHEAD...JOIN ME IN MY DELIRIUM :)

Dude! Do you show up at AA meetings with cases of beer and whiskey too?
:D
Its inevitable now. I have the fever. Damnit. I'm already starting to scheme what I'm gonna pawn off on people and how I'm going to placate my girlfriend...

HAHAHA...actually, I just splash on some Jack Daniels on and sit in the circle and drool~ "We love you Jack!"

Thanks guys, this is the best forum!

Say a person wanted to upgrade to dual core when the time is right (see sig) Do you think AMD will start binning these to not OC so well say 4-6 months from now like they did with the single core 939 opterons? If I went dual core I'd need something that OC's better than where I'm at now.

wow, nice rig you got there Peace.

From what I gather there are a couple of active threads discussing your question.

If I were more knowledgeable, I'd love to offer some words of wisdom...alas...I am not. ;p

peacetilence said:
Do you think AMD will start binning these to not OC so well say 4-6 months from now like they did with the single core 939 opterons?
huh, come again? all the batch's we're seeing are still made before the opteron craze hit. any fluctuation is pure coincidence ;)

YEEEE HAWW!!

My OPTERON arrived! :)

The packaging was a bit precarious.

It was wrapped in the invoice and placed in a fedex box with two air pockets.

The thing of it was, the airpockets were put in, AFTER the chip was sitting at the bottom of the box.

Oh well, I'm sure it was alright, since the chip itself was in it's little plastic "case"

Now I need to consider HEAT SINKs and a proper MOTHERBOARD! :)

Thanks [H] forum members!

BoredTiger said:
YEEEE HAWW!!

My OPTERON arrived! :)
Congrats man! I'm still trying to decide whether or not I'm gonna pull the trigger, so be sure to keep us posted on the components you get and naturally your overclocking stories. :)
I'm really wanting an Opty now. I'm one of those people that likes to double or triple my comp speed for a worthwhile upgrade, and I'm just not sure its going to be THAT much of a difference.
What am I saying? That almost sounded reasonable...C'mon guys! I'm faultering here! Keep prodding me to blow insane amounts of money on stuff I don't need! lol

(cf)Eclipse said:
dfi nf4 ultra-d wins my vote for overclocking :D

This is what I have, and my 3000 Venice is about to get kicked to teh curb. I don't get paid until Wednesday. PLEASE OC GODS KEEP THE GOOD CHIPS CHEAP UNTIL THEN!!!

watercooling + Opteron170 = I CAN'T F!(*&^!#ING WAIT!!

Ok...

I think I'm going to go with ECLIPSE's recommendation of the DFI board.

As for other components...everyone else in here seems to already have the things I need.

I quite literally only have a CPU and a tower case.

I need to get:

PSU
Motherboard (DFI ultra)
RAM (corsair? hopefully at LEAST 2gb)
74gb WD Raptor drive
two high capacity drives (Diamondmax?) for RAID 1?
7800 GTX (bfg? xfx? evga?)
and a new sound card (X-fi Fatality)

That's what I'm going for.

Anyone disagree or think I'm looking/considering bad components?

Thanks folks!!!

BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back