Pump undervolt?

you probabl.y can, although I have not tried it.
At some point the pump will stop turning compl.etely and I would be lothe to try it without a flow meter of some sort.

If your pump is screwed to your case it is probably causing the case to resonate.
Try mounting it with double sided tape. A nice thick one, or 2 layers might help more.
The tape will act like a vibration damper.
Automotive double sided tape is black and stronger than the std. white stuff.

This works well with fans too.
:)

Or a small chuck of thick carpet pad works great too......just rip a hunk off from a corner of a closet :p

I have one o'these guys...
Res_Pump_Fan_Controller.JPG

I'm running MBM5 to check the pump's RPM and temps etc. It's set to shutdown if the pump isn't on or if temps get too high.

Unless someone knows better, I may just give it a try. It's highly likely that the pump'll sound wierd at lower RPM like so many fans do.

aburgard said:
...I'm running MBM5 to check the pump's RPM and temps etc. It's set to shutdown if the pump isn't on or if temps get too high.

Unless someone knows better, I may just give it a try. It's highly likely that the pump'll sound wierd at lower RPM like so many fans do.

Hmm... Wont be easy to rubber mount that! :)

If it auto shuts down I would definatly give it a try.
Let us know how it goes.
:)

you probably wont be able to run the ddc from that rheobus. i know, i tried to do this with several rheobus devices.

i ended up having to buy a 25w 15ohm rheostat from digikey (its HUGE), and even then, the pump would not start up unless it was getting 10.5-11v. once its started, you can dial it down to around 7v, which does make it very quiet. however, i found it extremely annoying to have to turn down the pump every time i turned on my computer.

so i sold it and bought a csp-mag.

I've got the Laing DD4 pinned for 7V on one of my boxes. Made it a good bit quieter. Never tried running it off a controller, though.

You didn't specify what pump you were going to use, and this matters if you are wanting to use that Sunbeam to control the speed of it.

The Sunbeam is rated at 20W per channel, so that's the power limit of the pump you'd want to use, or risk overheating and failure. I wouldn't recommend you use the D5 as that has a rated power of 24W at 12V, source.

I ran into the same problem as above because I wanted to do the same thing as you :) . The D5 has it's own speed control, that does something than alter the incoming power. I don't know if it's a good idea to vary the incoming power for something like the D5, but it's not the way they designed it. There is a way to use the Sunbeam and a D5 pump. I can't advise this as I haven't actually tried it yet, but see what you think:

I'm going to carefully remove the D5's internal 10K linear pot and solder on some wires in it's place. These wires will then go directly to one of the Sunbeams pots, which are 10K linear pots luckily enough. The leads of the pot in the Sunbeam will of course be unsoldered from the board. You could of course just buy a 10K pot and mount it elsewhere, but you have got to ask yourself how often are you going to alter the flow of your setup?

8.3 W
0.69 amps

however, the ratings are substantially higher when the pump is first started.

Nah, actually I believe that MNPCTech has done that before. Pulls off a cleaner front panel look :)

Back