Pump recommendation...

That Linux Guy

Limp Gawd
Ok, I've never gotten into water cooling before. I'm completely fascinated by it, and really want try it, but I'm a bit lost on the techical side of the flow rate and pump head height and.... I'm confused.

So far, the parts I've decided on have been

Apogee GT or GTZ CPU block, Swiftech MCR-220 rad, neoprene tubing, but I know know how powerful of a pump/res I should get. I like the Liang D5, but I also saw this

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...cts_id=23046:8702387aacf10376e4be26a1c04e2926

What do you guys think?

I don't know much about water cooling, but I can explain pump head height and flow rate.

If your electrical guy, pump head height (also known as pressure) is voltage, flow rate is current; your loop has a resistance just like any circuit.

If not, then pump head height is pressure. For any system, it has some amount of resistance to flow, a small pipe with lots of bends has much more resistance than a big pipe. For a given resistance a pump will create a flow rate. More resistance, less flow. That resistance causes the pressure loss. When the pump is stalled, (pumping into a pipe with the other end clamped shut) you have maximum pressure and no flow. If there is nothing but the output of the pump straight into your bathtub you have maximum flow and no pressure. The curves you see on various pumps relate its pressure and flow characteristics.

From a heat transfer standpoint, you’ll want as much flow as possible. You can get high flow, low pressure pumps (think of a box fan for air, great for cooling off in the summer, but lousy for inflating your tires) or low flow, high pressure pumps (think air compressor, great for inflating your tires, but your never going to get cool using it as a fan). You want to find a pump that gives enough pressure to get the water through your loop while moving the most water possible. The higher the flow rate, the cooler the system will run.
Like everything else though, it’s a matter of how much money you want to spend. If you don’t give a damn about money and just want cold, I’d suggest a phase change cooler or hiring some kid to constantly refill a LN2 setup. Of course if your like most of us and your bank account Is mortal, you’ll have to balance is that extra 1 or 2C really worth an extra 20$?

I’m not a water cooling expert, nor have I ever done it. I just know about fluid dynamics. I would suggest you give a few more details about your setup, mostly are you only water cooling a single CPU and that’s it? I’ll leave it to the experts here to recommend a particular pump.

The D5 is recommended mostly due to its reliability and flexibility in setups. These dual pump/res combos are good for those people who are short on space, though I have no idea on their reliability as everyone I know uses a separate pump and res or t-line (or both).

Based on what you've selected though, I think a D5 would give you too much, and you could go instead with a MCP 350/355 (aka ddc 3.1/3.2) with Petra's Acetal top.

Wow, I forgot how busy hardforum is sometimes. Thank you all for your replies and input. I chose the parts as a start of a system. I want to set up something to start with just the CPU and eventually add blocks on the northbridge and GPU. I eventually wanted to up the rad to a triple unit for extra cooling. As for space, I'm using an Antec SOLO case, which isn't known for being roomy. Eventually expanding my loop was my reason for thinking of the D5, though I'm only looking for CPU cooling at first.

I'm only looking to cool my E8400, but someday Ill get a quad.

Nowadays, most computer-specific pumps can handle the job. There is enough enthusiasts out there that they have done the leg-work for us. Back in the old days, when you had to rummage through a commercial fishery store to find a good pump, you need to know all the flow characteristics.

Reputable enthusiast PC aftermarket stores should have some name-brand pumps that you can feel comfortable with.

Apogee GT or GTZ CPU block, Swiftech MCR-220 rad, neoprene tubing, but I know know how powerful of a pump/res I should get. I like the Liang D5,

A D5 would be a fine choice and would afford you some expansion if you decide to add a second block. As face as the pump/bay res combo, I've never used a submerged pump for water cooling because the pump adds a LOT of heat to your loop without the sort of flow/head to justify the added thermal energy. If mounting space is a problem I'd suggest a DDC with an XSPC top. It's a great little pump that you can really trick-out. :cool:

Thanks again guys for your help and advice. I'm actually eyeing the Swiftech H20-220 Compact kit as a start and later moving to a D5, Apogee GTZ and 1/2" tubing. A friend of mine has one and he said it was a great kit to start with.

Mr.Bloodshoe, I was thinking the same thing about the pump heating up the the loop a bit. I wasn't sure though. I've heard the D5 does put some heat out too, but I haven't heard it specifically about the Eheim 1046 and 1048 units. Are these better for low heat? BTW, I'm also going for low noise on my setup. Quiet and OC'd is the exact theme for my build.

I wouldn't worry about heat dump from a D5 or DDC pump. Your loop should be more than adequate to dissipate any extra added to the loop. The Eheim pumps shouldn't be any different. Heat dump from pumps in modern water cooling setups get more attention than they warrant, but the extra 10-18 watts of heat make little difference. It only starts to matter in multi-pump environments where you are running out of head room with regards to your radiator(s).

Get a variable speed pump, run it as slow as you can without causing temps to go up, there's a variable speed version of the D5

Mr.Bloodshoe, I was thinking the same thing about the pump heating up the the loop a bit. I wasn't sure though. I've heard the D5 does put some heat out too, but I haven't heard it specifically about the Eheim 1046 and 1048 units. Are these better for low heat? BTW, I'm also going for low noise on my setup. Quiet and OC'd is the exact theme for my build.

Eheim's have only one drawback in terms of water cooling, size. Otherwise they're comparable to something like a D5 when it comes to heat dump, and they have the added benifit of being built like tanks. If you want to go Eheim just because, take a look at this gem: XT ultra.

If noise is a big issue I'd consider a D5 or DDC with an (UN)Designs mount, attached with industrial Velco.

Back