Pump questions - is GPH important anymore?

Seyba

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
134
I am building a computer and I'm trying to use my old pump in my new water loop. Unfortunately, its a huge eheim 1250 (just over 300 GPH) that can't fit inside this case. As a result, I need to get a new pump before I can finish this computer.

My loop is a Dtek fuzion CPU block, a GPU block for a 9800gx2, a 120mm radiator, a T-junction, and of course, the pump.

I see the DD-CPX is very compact and very quiet but the GPS is less than half of the eheim. I am worried that this will not be enough "push" for the components in my loop.

Would the CPX be good enough or do I need to step it up? What do you recommend? Thank you.
 
the mcp355 you linked to is a smaller pump, one mcp655 would run all those blocks you were talking about and still be reasonably quiet. I cant say that i have personal experiance yet, but i have done ALOT of research and as soon as my tax rebate check comes ill be ordering one.
 
alot of people are using the mcp655 since it has such a long life span compared to the other pumps on the market
 
so what exactly have you researched and found out? I'd like to see, since you have done so much work
 
Yes, as Headpunter said, the MCP655 is by far the most reliable high flow 12v pump available... It's on par with the Eheim pumps IMO.

The 355, DDC, DDC2, DDC+ etc, are all notorious for failing... or for bursting into smoke and flame, heh.
 
Hee hee I've been using a Thermaltake 400 L/Hour pump for 2 years now and it's still silent and working like a charm :)
 
How is it on noise, compared to my eheim?

At the level 5 setting, pumping water in a closed loop it averages 27dba from 1 foot.

At the level 3 setting, it averages about 24dba from 1 foot, but the noise it makes is much lower in pitch... So it's almost totally inaudible in a closed case.
 
Swiftech says that the 355 is louder than the 350 and the 655, actually. I have the 655 w/ no adjustably, it just runs on full all the time, and it is very quiet/low vibration. With only a couple decent fans running, I think I would not hear the pump for the fans. Of course, I run 9 120mm fans, so I wouldn't know. :D
 
Swiftech says that the 355 is louder than the 350 and the 655, actually. I have the 655 w/ no adjustably, it just runs on full all the time, and it is very quiet/low vibration. With only a couple decent fans running, I think I would not hear the pump for the fans. Of course, I run 9 120mm fans, so I wouldn't know. :D

:eek: 9 fans?

Christ... My 4 yate loons at 5v cringe at your setting.

The pump is overshadowed by a single DSL yate loon (except for any low resonance hum that's amplified by your case...)
 
Is there a way to test the MCP655 overnight, to make sure there are no leaks in my loop? I want to test to make sure there are no leaks and I don't want to supply power to my computer in case there are leaks.

I can't figure out how to give power to the pump, alone.
 
set up your loop outside your case, connect psu lead to your pump (nothing else should be connected to your psu at this point), then short your psus 24pin connector with a wire, solder, a paper clip, whatever.. just dont electrocute yourself olol. connect the green one with any of the black ones. you might want to put down a towel or something in case it leaks overnight.
 
Back
Top