2 x 2GB mushkin 4GB DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) 996593-REDLINE
2x 150gb Raptors for RAID 0
2x 160gb WD's for backup / media no RAID
1x SATA DVDRW drive
1x GTS8800 (G92) 512mb
1x NeoPower Blue PSU 650w
1x external 500g HD eSATA for backup / movable drive

Yes, I do plan on using the WiFi

If I go for ASUS, the GTS8800 will cover up 2x PCIx1 slots.. which leaves the bottom PCI slot available

If I go for the Gigabyte, I'd have 2x PCIx1 slots available, but I'd put a WiFi card on one anyways... leaving a single PCIx1 slot available, just like on the ASUS.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR SUGGESTIONS / EXPERIENCES WITH EITHER OF THEM!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HALP!:confused:

edit: im going single card GTS8800... no near future plans for 2x video cards...
p.s. the slight price difference doesnt matter
p.s.s. anyone know what happened to GIGABYTE X38-DQ6?? they looked pretty damn good! cant find em anywhere tho

If you have a compusa around you at all go and see if they have the P5K deluxe still. I bought mine for $125 plus tax.

but i think i would go for the X38 instead if they are same price. buy a better wifi card.

I can tell you that I spec'd out a PC for my friend and he got the ASUS. So far the build has been rock solid and he has had zero issues with the board. However he has NOT overclocked it.

However, I just had to make the choice between P35 and X38 and I chose X38. I think if you were to buy a board right now, and price is not an issue, I'd go X38 (not necessarily the Gigabyte board.). Personally I chose the ASUS Maximus.

ASUS Maximus Formula:

No eSATA? Not even on a bracket?

edit: ClearCMOS button on I/O plate is nice!

edit2: also, wont a GTS800 (g92) cover up both of the PCI Express x1 slots below it? where would I put the add-on sound card that uses one of them?

think that the X38-DQ6 was a problem prone mobo & Gigabyte pulled it - unusual as Gigabyte have been on form for the last few Intel chipsets.

Might also want to look at the abit IX38 QuadGT too - has 2 eSATA & an external clear CMOS.

abit also do a cheap PCI-E x1 wifi card (airpace) if you go with either that or the Gigabyte & the no. of PCI slots is a concern.

ASUS Maximus Formula:

No eSATA? Not even on a bracket?

edit: ClearCMOS button on I/O plate is nice!

edit2: also, wont a GTS800 (g92) cover up both of the PCI Express x1 slots below it? where would I put the add-on sound card that uses one of them?

I have the Maximus Formula and an 8800 GTS 512, the little add-on sound card has it's own special PCI slot and is not covered by the 8800. You can plug both those things in and still have room for a wi-fi card, I have one plugged in atm also. :D

go with the x38
and there is no reason for "2x 160gb WD's for backup / media no RAID"
just get 1 big drive if your not raiding
and change your psu to the corsair hx series

I think a lot of us would agree

edit* you can plug in the soundcard no problem on the maximus... with a dual slot vid

go with the x38
and there is no reason for "2x 160gb WD's for backup / media no RAID"
just get 1 big drive if your not raiding
and change your psu to the corsair hx series

I think a lot of us would agree

edit* you can plug in the soundcard no problem on the maximus... with a dual slot vid

I already own the 2x160s (see sig)

i thought about the corsair, but ive heard great things about the NeoPower... and i already bought it.

wow!

IX38 QuadGT i hadnt even looked at it. looks pretty damn solid
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127033

my only concern now is i already ordered a scythe ninja rev. b plus CPU heatsink, and the NB heatsink on the mobo looks huge

edit: off a review
"The digital PWMs do get their own separate heatsink which is nice and large, thus giving you the option to change it if need be; however, because the heatsink is quite large, being roughly 30mm tall, the CPU area is quite enclosed. It certainly helps keep it cool under low airflow, but it could also potentially limit what CPU cooler you can use."

oh god. now im even more undecided

they each have their pros and cons.

If pro is the opposite of con and progress is moving forward what is congress? :p

sigh. got the Maximus Formula

stuck without eSATA... will have to settle for slow USB for the external drive le sigh!

No. My memory is not listed on that list either, and I'm running fine and dandy :).

You will not be disappointed! I have both boards up and running, and they are rock solid. Plus, it comes iwth a Full version of STALKER, 3DMark06, and Kapersky Anti Virus. None of which I expected (besides STALKER!)

I begin overclocking tonight/tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes :).

Back