Pulled the trigger...

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Since I don't have the space for a desktop and the my old Sager NP2096 was getting a bit long in the tooth, I decided to upgrade.So I ordered:
MYTHLOGIC Nyx 1711 Chassis (Clevo P170HM)
Intel Core i7-2720QM 2.20GHz
8GB (2 x 4GB) , PC3-10600, 1333MHz SODIMM (Crucial)
AMD Radeon 6970m 2048MB
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N

Only thing I didn't get that I wanted was a Matte screen as they are out of stock. It'll be my first upgrade...

Mythlogic...

I also checked with XoticPC and Malibal as it is a Clevo/Sager system. Basically all of them were the same price but Mythlogic's lead time seemed better and it should arrive shortly after I return from some travel.

One other thing, what is a good cooler for 17" laptops? The 15" ones I have tried have been hit or miss at best. (I really liked a Targus one but it broke after 4 months.)

Looks like a sexy machine you got there.

For laptop coolers, I'm looking to get a Thermaltake Massive 23. I'm currently running with a Targus Laptop Chill Mat. I like it, but it's more of a stand then a cooler. The fans run a bit loud on it, and I'm not a fan of the cloth stuff on it (seems like it traps a bit of heat). I bought it mainly because it was at Best Buy and I needed something that I didn't have to order, since I was working in Alaska at the time.

The Thermaltake seems like it had performance use and actual cooling in mind, rather than the Targus which is more for setting hot notebooks on your lap.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Basically I need to do both cooling and keeping the notebook from cooking my boys.

Does the battery even last long enough to cook your boys?

Does the battery even last long enough to cook your boys?

Been hearing 2-3 hour battery life, though will verify under gaming conditions. However, it will be plugged in most of the time though, so yeah, it could cook my boys.

If it can get 2-3 hours while gaming, that'd be pretty amazing. I'd assume these kinds of laptops get around 30 mins while gaming and 2-3 hours, while just surfing the web, viewing email, etc.

Any data on customer satisfaction on mythlogic? I found some data on resellerratings but it looked suspicious...lots of reviewers who only reviewed that company, nobody else, and all 5 star ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Mythlogic_Corporation

It's a smaller shop, but the folks over at notebook review forums were pretty high on them. They had some options and stock in those options that I wanted, also their leads times were slightly lower and fit my travel schedule. So I am taking a small chance by going with them, but like I said, people that have bought from them were pretty positive on them. I've been talking with one of their people off and on. I'll post back the good, the bad, and the ugly when I get my system. Which wont be for another week.

Well finally received this bad boy...WOW. Some delay in receiving due to part shortages.

First impressions:
Mythlogic packaging is top notch. I bet you could have dropped the box from 20' and it not been damaged.
Specs:
MYTHLOGIC Nyx 1711 Chassis (Clevo P170HM)
AUO B173HW01 V5 (Matte)
Intel Core i7-2720QM 2.20GHz
8GB (2 x 4GB) , PC3-10600, 1333MHz SODIMM (Crucial)
AMD Radeon 6970m 2048MB
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 - 802.11A/B/G/N

Software:
I ordered without an OS, so I had to install Win7 Ultimate.
All the drivers which came on a separate disc, installed no problem.
The went through the fun of Windows update and 20 restarts.
Then I downloaded Rift, and left to play soccer.

First impressions after firing up Rift: Very snappy! Having a graphics card that can actually handle Rift is quite a nice change. The matte screen is sweet with very good viewing angles.

The power supply is huge and heavy. The power cord is too short by about 1 foot.

I still need to do tweaking and stuff on it, I'm sure I'll update this thread once the newness has worn off and I have a few gaming sessions.

Back