Pulled the trigger on Sager NP9262

auswipe

Gawd
Basically I wanted a portable server for a job that I just took doing load/stress testing and will most likely use this laptop in the field as both a loadgen and a data collection unit. I will also be developing code and crunching numbers as well. I wanted as much horsepower as I could lug around easily and finally decided on this setup:

17" Wide Viewing Angles WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680 x 1050)
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Processor Q6700 / 8MB L2 Cache, 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB
Single Nvidia GeForce 8800M GTX Graphics with 512MB DDR3 Video Memory
Genuine MS Windows® VISTA BUSINESS 32/64-Bit Edition
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 X 2048MB
RAID-5 Storage
200GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive
200GB 7200rpm SATA 300 Secondary Hard Disk Drive in RAID configuration
200GB 7200rpm SATA 300 3rd Hard Disk Drive in RAID configuration
2X BD-R/8X DVD±R/2.4X +DL Blu-ray Drive & Software
Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
Internal Bluetooth Module

The BlueRay wasn't mission critical but it was a "nice to have." I've also requested an extra power brick so I don't have to mess around with it at my work area and also an extra battery as the battery life on this machine isn't going to be diddly squat.

The RAID5 is nifty. I don't want to be at a remote location on the job site and lose a drive and be SOL.

And in truth, part of it is just over indulgence. Gotta enjoy it while I can!

Did you get it from Sagers website, or xoticpc? When is the estimated ship date, and was there any tax?

I am looking at getting the same system, but without so many upgrades and I am looking at my options. I just wish it had an HDMI output.

I am looking at Sager's website and not XoticPC.

The company is giving me some grief because their normal vendor doesn't deal with the Sager notebooks but it's the only notebook that I can find that has a quad proc and RAID5.

The idea of running various processes with affinity to a single core while crunching the numbers makes me salivate.

The cost (less S&H) came right around $3950 or so.

I dunno if I'll end up getting this beast or not. I'll just have to see how it plays out.

Coincidentally, I also recently ordered an NP9262. Fortunately for me, my "trigger" worked as it was supposed to and unlike the OP suffered no misfires! :p

I placed my order thru XOTIC-PC. I went with a Q6700, a single 8800M GTX, WUXGA (1920x1200), no DDR2 Memory, a single 320GB 5400RPM HD, no OS, and the standard (non-Bluetooth) optical drive. The only other add-on i selected was a second AC adapter. Subtotal including shipping from CA to OH (although XOTIC-PC is in Nebraska, the sytems are actually built/tested/shipped directly from SAGER in SoCal.) came to $2774.00 (no sales tax). After deducting the Cash Payment Discount ($83.22) and another $90.00 off for opting for Zero system memory, the grand total came to $2603.48.

I went with no OS because I have and MSDN subscription. I also decided that I'd rather order the memory as well as HD's #2 & 3 separately and save a bit more. Rather than pay $90 for 2GB from SAGER/XOTIC I ordered 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 G.SKILL (4-4-4-12) from the Egg for $84.99 w/Free shipping! (Item #: N82E16820231154). Note: I had to do this over the phone, as the web site won't allow you to configure a system with zero RAM (nor, for that matter, without at least a one HD if anyone's curious), but it was a completely hassle-free experience. I spoke with Justin W. (they have multiple Justin's!) and he manually edited the order precisely as I wanted it to be while I was on the phone. The whole process, including about 15 seconds of hold time, took less than 10 minutes.

In addition to the memory, the Egg order also included a Zalman NC2000 Cooler for $57.99 (Item #: N82E16834998686) and a dual eSATA ExpressCard 54 for $59.99 (Item #: N82E16839150001). Rounding out the build are (3) 500GB 5400RPM Samsung M6 SpinPoint HDs (from ZZF) at $299.99 a pop. Unfortunately these won't be available till the first week of June. (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008355)

So the grand total for the system (including a whopping 1.5TB of HD storage!) came to $3800 and change.

I placed my order on 14 May and received notification this afternoon that it would be shipping tomorrow!

I decided to go with XOTIC because by doing so i got the slightly upgraded warranty as standard and for the cash payment discount option. Additionally, XOTIC allowed me to place the order with ZERO memory. I'd recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat!

Sounds awesome. I am still waiting to hear back from the corporate vendors about the laptop I want. I saw that XOTIC-PC also offers a variant with quad core Xeon and 8 gig of RAM (but the price is through the roof) and I have to wonder what the battery life would be? Under 45 minutes? Just enough time to get it powered up and to hunt down an electrical outlet. :)

Congrats. I hope to be bragging about my cool portable server soon as well!

Coincidentally, I also recently ordered an NP9262. Fortunately for me, my "trigger" worked as it was supposed to and unlike the OP suffered no misfires! :p

I placed my order thru XOTIC-PC. I went with a Q6700, a single 8800M GTX, WUXGA (1920x1200), no DDR2 Memory, a single 320GB 5400RPM HD, no OS, and the standard (non-Bluetooth) optical drive. The only other add-on i selected was a second AC adapter. Subtotal including shipping from CA to OH (although XOTIC-PC is in Nebraska, the sytems are actually built/tested/shipped directly from SAGER in SoCal.) came to $2774.00 (no sales tax). After deducting the Cash Payment Discount ($83.22) and another $90.00 off for opting for Zero system memory, the grand total came to $2603.48.

I went with no OS because I have and MSDN subscription. I also decided that I'd rather order the memory as well as HD's #2 & 3 separately and save a bit more. Rather than pay $90 for 2GB from SAGER/XOTIC I ordered 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 G.SKILL (4-4-4-12) from the Egg for $84.99 w/Free shipping! (Item #: N82E16820231154). Note: I had to do this over the phone, as the web site won't allow you to configure a system with zero RAM (nor, for that matter, without at least a one HD if anyone's curious), but it was a completely hassle-free experience. I spoke with Justin W. (they have multiple Justin's!) and he manually edited the order precisely as I wanted it to be while I was on the phone. The whole process, including about 15 seconds of hold time, took less than 10 minutes.

In addition to the memory, the Egg order also included a Zalman NC2000 Cooler for $57.99 (Item #: N82E16834998686) and a dual eSATA ExpressCard 54 for $59.99 (Item #: N82E16839150001). Rounding out the build are (3) 500GB 5400RPM Samsung M6 SpinPoint HDs (from ZZF) at $299.99 a pop. Unfortunately these won't be available till the first week of June. (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10008355)

So the grand total for the system (including a whopping 1.5TB of HD storage!) came to $3800 and change.

I placed my order on 14 May and received notification this afternoon that it would be shipping tomorrow!

I decided to go with XOTIC because by doing so i got the slightly upgraded warranty as standard and for the cash payment discount option. Additionally, XOTIC allowed me to place the order with ZERO memory. I'd recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat!

Will that thing overheat?

That's soooo many HDD in such a tiny space.

I'm on a gateway 6860 right now and even after a little while, I can feel the warmth.

:D

http://www.pcmicroworks.com/
I have bought from XoticPC before and was extremely happy. I recently bought from these people and am extremely happy. I asked Xotic what they'd do to keep my business (built the same rig and the price was only $64 difference). They offered to give me free shipping and told me to call them back if the other people gave me more. I talked to PCMicroworks, and they took $400 right off the top and have been really great. They also offer trade-in and wholesale price for upgrade of parts and even for the whole laptop, which Xotic doesn't offer. I know it's whichever one you feel most comfortable with, just thought I'd put my two cents in.

I think one of the main things your missing on that link is the 1GB 9800M GTX GPU.

Yea, I noticed after I posted. I saw a preview of their new laptop which costs like 8grand. It had a dual Montevina and 9800M SLi set up (and 4 gigs of ram, up to 4 terabytes of HD space, etc).

I just got the message from mgmt today that my request has been approved. Yay! Can't wait for my portable server to arrive!

Back