Pulled the Trigger on New Camera Body

Isn't a 3Ghz Quad Core better than a 2.4Ghz Quad Core?

okay you got me on that one

doe a 3Ghz Phenom run fast then a 2.8 Intel was more what i meant, back in the days on Intel pushing Ghz when AMD was faster at lower speeds, far more has come into play over the years then pure power / mega pixels

Why i took a 20D over an XTI

Low demand and low production run means it costs more. These are not volume items. Getting more for what you paid for works usually for regular consumer things.

You will know if you need to use medium format and know exactly what you are doing. It's lack of features is not really relevent. You are paying for higher resolution and quality not features that you would less likely use.

I don't agree. A $15M house is bigger and nicer w/ better view than a $1M house. If those people at Hasselblad don't understand something that simple, then they should at least acknowledge their brain is not working well.

And their lack of features is relevant to some customers like me. I am used to having those features in the Canon, if I were to upgrade, I expect no less. I agree I'm paying for high quality, but for that kind of money, I expect more features.

This is no difference than anything else. You buy a $300K house, you don't expect a swimming pool, or marble top kitchen, you buy a $1M house, you expect a swimming pool, and a marble top kitchen, those extra are called features. The more money you pay, the more features you expected. That's how the world works, there is no exception for hasselblad

I don't agree. A $15M house is bigger and nicer w/ better view than a $1M house. If those people at Hasselblad don't understand something that simple, then they should at least acknowledge their brain is not working well.

And their lack of features is relevant to some customers like me. I am used to having those features in the Canon, if I were to upgrade, I expect no less. I agree I'm paying for high quality, but for that kind of money, I expect more features.

This is no difference than anything else. You buy a $300K house, you don't expect a swimming pool, or marble top kitchen, you buy a $1M house, you expect a swimming pool, and a marble top kitchen, those extra are called features. The more money you pay, the more features you expected. That's how the world works, there is no exception for hasselblad

Simply put, they don't care about what you want because they're not trying to sell to you. They're selling to a small subset of people looking for a certain feature set. At this point it's more likely that Phase One and Mamiya will end up overtaking them than Canon.

It's like complaining that a $2 billion B-2 bomber doesn't have a bathroom and a kitchen, whereas a much cheaper 747 has those features and more cargo space =b

Are you really a potential customer? Is that based on the actual need for the camera or you just happen to have the money? In either case, I recommend you get a 1D as upgrade to your XTi if all you're taking is photos of your rabbits.

Of course if you have the money you can buy more. More expensive doesn't automatically mean better. That way of thinking can only go so far. For a house, you can get everything including pool for $300K. Or alternatively, you can get a small studio for $1M. All depends on what you want.

Heck, even better example, why aren't you complaining about a lack of a video mode on your XTi? Even a $100 p&s has that feature =b

But why not gives the customer the choice to pick those features and offer them those features, let those customers decide whether they want it or not.

YOu see, I seriously doubt everyone who owns a Canon flagship uses ALL of its functions, but cleary Canon done some marketing to have all those functions available, for the sole purpose of accomodating every type of customer. I expect no less from HAsselblad.

Canon cameras are simple. There are not a lot of functions to begin with. Use a Nikon D300 or D3 and you'll see a lot more. The Canon flagship cameras even have less functions than the Rebel line. Why is this? It's because the Rebel line makes the most money for Canon and regular consumers like those latest trendy or "make my life easy" features.

Different markets. Different game to stay competitive business wise. Different buyers. If you understand that, you'll understand the differences between 1 series and Rebel series and between 35mm and medium format.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=139&modelid=15710#ModelTechSpecsAct

You're the above is not enough function for you? Sure looks like they have all the functions of the XTi, and whatever I use, they sure have it in the Mark III.

I really like the size of 48x36mm, so I won't buy the above Mark III, I'm hoping Canon can produce a 48x36 in the near future w/ 39 MB pixel.

The only good thing about the hasselblad is the 48x36mm and its corresponding quality, but at 1.4 sec. per capture, even if that camera is free, I don't want it, I'll wait for Canon or anyone else that can speed up the capture

Photography is about using the right tools at the right time. There's no perfect camera for all situations. While I see what you're saying is nice and ideal, the real world isn't that. It's good to dream though.

5D and 1D don't have built in flashes. Also where's the auto scene modes? :p

Everybody has their own set of needs. Looks like you want high speed. I'd like a lot of capabilities also and I know it's not possible with 1 camera. That's why I have 5 DSLRs :eek: I'd like to add the forensic version of the Fuji S5. It's easy to do like I do instead of 1 digital hasselblad and you'll have more fun I guarantee. ;)

The build in flash on the XTi is useless anyway. It takes 10 sec. to recharge. That's why I bought the 440 EX

Ah so you've discovered it's not meant for serious use. Likewise, there's some equipment not meant for casual use. There are two ends of the spectrum and they differ in ability, function, physical characteristics, price, etc.

35mm is for convenience and optimized for worst case scenario shooting. Medium format is for better quality and best case scenario shooting. You shouldn't expect one to have features from the other especially if it's not used like a built in flash in 5D or 1 series.

If you use flashes, you'll realize fast shutter speed and high ISO are not necessary. Also, if you are using flashes, you won't be firing at 8fps or even 3fps. That makes the over 1 second rate of the Hasselblad more than adequate if the flash is recharging every 2 seconds. If you use f8 and above, you will not be realizing 1/8000th of a second shutter speeds in regular use.

If you aren't using flashes and are in dimly lit environment with no tripod, that's worst case scenario. A 35mm DSLR has capabilities better suited.

Use the right tools at the right time. I won't be using the Hasselblad for sports in a dimly lit gym.

If you use flashes, you'll realize fast shutter speed and high ISO are not necessary. Also, if you are using flashes, you won't be firing at 8fps or even 3fps. That makes the over 1 second rate of the Hasselblad more than adequate if the flash is recharging every 2 seconds. .

Actually, I did use the flash for a few shots in a sec or two quite freqently, I don't think it's 3fps, but it's more like 2 fps.

So at the end of the day, it looks more hopeful to expect Canon to have medium format w/ more features than to expect dinosaur like HAsselblad to do something nice to customers

I don't understand. Are you talking about the 440 or the built in one?

the build in. I can take a few photos, then the damn thing begin to recharges w/ the mesg. "BUSY", then each subsequent photo I took, I have to wait for about 10 sec., it's a joke

YOu see, I seriously doubt everyone who owns a Canon flagship uses ALL of its functions, but cleary Canon done some marketing to have all those functions available, for the sole purpose of accomodating every type of customer. I expect no less from HAsselblad.

yup, when i had my 20D i know i didn't use every feature, as i dint need them all, but now and then i would use one i thought i would have no need for, heck i don't use P mode, or A-dep, i use M %99.999999999 of the time but nice to know i have those other options, will be the same with my new 40D.

Canon cameras are simple. There are not a lot of functions to begin with. Use a Nikon D300 or D3 and you'll see a lot more. The Canon flagship cameras even have less functions than the Rebel line. Why is this? It's because the Rebel line makes the most money for Canon and regular consumers like those latest trendy or "make my life easy" features.

Different markets. Different game to stay competitive business wise. Different buyers. If you understand that, you'll understand the differences between 1 series and Rebel series and between 35mm and medium format.

you got to be kidding, Canon, simple... how many have you used in the D series or higher? ever look into the custom functions section? this is why the D series is so much better then any X* series is because of the added functions, not the purdy LCD and more mega pixels the X** series is usually ahead on.

an X series cant compare with a 40D, heck a 30D and even a 20D i recall has features still the X Series doesn't have yet and it is what 5 years old...

you got to be kidding, Canon, simple... how many have you used in the D series or higher? ever look into the custom functions section? this is why the D series is so much better then any X* series is because of the added functions, not the purdy LCD and more mega pixels the X** series is usually ahead on.

Just so we're on the same page, we're not talking custom functions but basic ones in the context of the argument of why the "greater" doesn't have such and such of the "lesser". e.g. Why doesn't the 1D and 5D has a built in flash when the Rebel and 40D do. It's parallel to asking why the Hasselblad doesn't do 1/8000th of a second or ISO1600 when the 1Ds MKIII does. fugu made another parallel example of why doesn't the XTi have video record mode when some lesser P&S does.

ahh, okay i understand better then in that case (and i didnt know th 5D didnt have a flash, assumed it did)

for me, if you want video, you buy a video camera, you want good high quality images, you buy a camera....

most P&S are jack of all trades, master's of none.. i like to have masters of a trade for each trade i pursue.

Why i have a PC for gaming online and a console for other games
Why i have a cell phone for calling with no extra crap
Why i have a 40D for Photography
Why i have Sen hd595's for Audio

i use the right tools for the job it all comes down too.

Back