Pull the trigger on a 560 ti?

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 560 ti

A few questions:

1. Good price point/bang for buck option?
2. Wait to see if the price drops after the 600s roll out?
3. Bottle neck on my CPU (in sig C2Q @ 3.15)? If yes what OC would I need to push?

I game at 1680x1050, may consider a new monitor either a 1080p tv or a 1900x1200 monitor.

1. Yes.
2. The waiting game is a game for losers.
3. Slightly -- I'd recommend actually selling your CPU (they still fetch a lot of $$ used, believe it or not) and picking up a 2500K with the proceeds.

However, if you want to hedge your bets, buy an EVGA 560 Ti, then if NVIDIA releases something at the same price point that is much faster, step up to that.

I'd say pull the trigger with the 560ti. OC the processor as much as you can. Upgrade when Ivy bridge sets in, and drops a little.

I play with a Phenom 925 @ 3.2... which is probably slower than your C2Q paired with a 560ti. I play BF3 with high/ultra settings. very playable framerates. I haven't payed in a while but i'm pretty sure it's 40+ always.

See if you can find a deal on the 448 core version. Those things overclock like crazy.

I assume it's a typo in the TC's sig, an Intel Q7800 cpu? Do you mean a Q6700?

Anyways, if you have a q6700 overclocked I think you would be just fine with a GTX 560ti at your 1680x1050.

Thanks for the input.

I play mostly Civ 5
Shogun 2
Skyrim
and recently
Kingdoms of Amalur

Sill looking for a game that wows me with gfx like Crysis did.

Yes its a Q6700, I had just noticed that as well.

I will check out that deal from Amazon as well.
But the spoon and mug combo is a good deal.

Since you like action RPG's, if you haven't played The Witcher 2 yet it is a must have game. Looks really good too.

I still have not finished The Witcher, it will be on my next to play list, then possibly The Witcher 2.

Is there any reason to get a 2GB card?
From what I understood textures and post fx even at 1920x1600 don't hit more than 1 GB.

Is there any reason to get a 2GB card?
From what I understood textures and post fx even at 1920x1600 don't hit more than 1 GB.
I guess you mean 1920x1200. and yes some games can easily go over 1gb of vram at 1920x1200. I would get the gtx560ti 448 over the gtx560ti 2gb though.

I guess you mean 1920x1200. and yes some games can easily go over 1gb of vram at 1920x1200. I would get the gtx560ti 448 over the gtx560ti 2gb though.

Yeah, that was my thought process. I'll just upgrade from my MSI 448 core to a higher-end Kepler card when I upgrade my monitors.

Upgrade when you need to. I was running a GTX 260 until a month ago and I decided it wasn't enough for Witcher 2. Managed to get a 560 ti 448 for $215 AR.

And get a 560 ti 448 over a 2gb 560 ti.

Upgrade when you need to. I was running a GTX 260 until a month ago and I decided it wasn't enough for Witcher 2. Managed to get a 560 ti 448 for $215 AR...
Only $215? What is this witchery?? :p

Would you mind telling me where you got it at that price? I'm on the lookout for a 448 myself...

Would you mind telling me where you got it at that price? I'm on the lookout for a 448 myself...

Yeah, I looked and looked and couldn't manage to find one under $250. This was only over the course of a week, though.

Why not get the GTX480 that's on sale today for $209.99, w/ code??

edit: that's at newegg.....

Tiger direct had the galaxy version for $235 AR a few weeks ago and american express kicked in another $20 off for using their card.

Eh, if you're in the market for a GTX560ti 448, why not just get the EVGA GTX480 thats at 250 on Newegg right now. Should spank the Ti in every category at a better price. If you wait it might drop to 220 again, thats when I got it before it went out of stock last week. so far VERY pleased with that purchase.

Edit: Apparently theres a code for it to be at 210. That is a steal. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1678741

Last edited:
Eh, if you're in the market for a GTX560ti 448, why not just get the EVGA GTX480 thats at 250 on Newegg right now. Should spank the Ti in every category at a better price. If you wait it might drop to 220 again, thats when I got it before it went out of stock last week. so far VERY pleased with that purchase.

Edit: Apparently theres a code for it to be at 210. That is a steal. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1678741

I just ordered 2 to upgrade my current Sli 768mb gtx 460 rig. It is probably going to produce more heat and use more power but it should perform better then GTX560ti 448. I agree the OP should grab one while they are still available.

Last edited:

Yea, 480 for $210 is a deal.

I would definitely have sprung for the 480 at this deal. Too bad I was being impatient :p

Normally, while I agree waiting doesn't necessarily mean better, we are just a month away from a line of Keplar products to be available (if rumors hold correctly), so if it were me, I could wait just one more month. Just my .02.

Looks like that free spoon could totally be modded into a spork. The cup is going to be size limited though and it wont be compatable with the new 20 ounce releases.

I just dropped the cash on a 560ti 2GB myself. I couldn't play the waiting game any longer. I've seen no confirmation of a Kepler replacement for the midrange, only confirmation of the high end 680 series.

Won't matter anyways. Got plenty from my tax return, and I have been depressed from not being able to play BF3 decently with current setup. When the Kepler replacement for the 560ti comes out, I will re-evaluate an upgrade at that time. A 560ti 2GB will suffice for me for now.

I just dropped the cash on a 560ti 2GB myself. I couldn't play the waiting game any longer. I've seen no confirmation of a Kepler replacement for the midrange, only confirmation of the high end 680 series.

Won't matter anyways. Got plenty from my tax return, and I have been depressed from not being able to play BF3 decently with current setup. When the Kepler replacement for the 560ti comes out, I will re-evaluate an upgrade at that time. A 560ti 2GB will suffice for me for now.

The soon to be released GK 104 based Kepler NVIDIA card will not be the high end NVIDIA card. NVIDIA seems to confuse their market naming schemes but from everything that I have researched the soon to be released GK 104 card will not be the high end card and looks like it is worth waiting for. It should be here very soon.

Also not sure when HD7850 is going to start selling but it also looks like a very good choice over GTX 560ti 2GB.

Patience pays off.

The soon to be released GK 104 based Kepler NVIDIA card will not be the high end NVIDIA card. NVIDIA seems to confuse their market naming schemes but from everything that I have researched the soon to be released GK 104 card will not be the high end card and looks like it is worth waiting for. It should be here very soon.

Also not sure when HD7850 is going to start selling but it also looks like a very good choice over GTX 560ti 2GB.

Patience pays off.
Meh.... we will see. There has been no official confirmation from Nvidia either way...I do know that is coming soon. I couldn't wait any longer and I wasn't willing to speculate. I told myself I was upgrading the second I had my tax return. My previous setup with my AMD Phenom and ATI HD4850 was not cutting it and the motherboard was on its last legs anyways.

I bit the bullet and am happy. I'm making plenty of money now, so if the 680 comes out and is in fact the midrange card, I will give this one to my GF to replace her 560 1GB. For now, everything I have seen is that a 560ti 2GB should play BF3 at high settings at 40+ fps consistent, and that's what I need.

CIV 5 is CPU intensive. That CPU won't do. I went from Q6600 3.2 Ghz to i5-2500k and the difference was like night and day. Cost me about $400 to upgrade the CPU, motherboard and DRAM. Do that then overclock that puppy to 5Ghz and wait for Kepler to come out.

I'd definitely pull the trigger on one. I've had mine since last fall and it performs very well at 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. The only games I have trouble running are BF3 with MSAA enabled, or Metro 2033 with DX11 DoF. Everything else is able to be maxed out at native resolution, even with my Q9550 at stock.

I highly recommend getting a 560ti 448 core if you can find one under $200. I grabbed mine for $100 for my media pc and I don't regret it.

I'd definitely opt for a little more if you plan on upgrading to 1080p or 1200p. Something like the 560ti 448, 570, or 480.

I am waiting until this new tech flushes out since I only have a 550W PSU and these cards from both vendors seem to run on half power as nV last generation. Basically I shop in the middle range like $200-$300 and there is nothing new and compelling currently. With two new architectures released within the next 3 weeks of each other I don't have a problem waiting. AMDs just released cards are priced too high because nV hasnt shown it's hand. Dumb IMO to buy when no competition exists and they are charging premium prices. I wait until a fight is going on and pick up the pieces cheap.

If you have to have a card now nvidia offers best price to performance ratios with thier old generation. The 560ti overclocked editions are only $199 and can hang with a stock GTX570 and beat 7850.
The 560 ti 448s are only $229 and are basically as fast as 570GTX
The 570 GTX beats the 7850 by a good margin and is $250.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_7850_HD_7870/26.html

Yeah... I was waiting to see what the 680 GTX brought to the table. However, I think for the money I'll be better getting another 560ti 448 for Sli than stepping up to a single 680.

Yeah... I was waiting to see what the 680 GTX brought to the table. However, I think for the money I'll be better getting another 560ti 448 for Sli than stepping up to a single 680.

Do you really need that much gaming power? Single GTX 560 ti 448 offers alot of real world gaming ability at 1920x1080 resolution.

I'm hoping the release of GTX680 offers alot of card for the money and forces AMD to lower prices.

AMD HD7950 looks like alot of performance when you consider the over clock ability and high vram. I think single HD7950 would be a better option than 2 GTX 560 ti 448s. Looking forward to a MSI TwinFrozer Lightning or Power Edition HD7950.

Unless NVIDIA GTX680 is priced right and offers a significant performance increase I will not be buying one at launch.

My MSI TFIII Power Edition GTX560 ti 448 is smoking fast. Right now Amazon has it on sale for $250 after MIR. IMO this is a hot deal for this card. It runs fast, cool and performance scales well on benchmarks and games. Better card than GTX 480 IMO.

Last edited:
Back