publishing Nutanix performance info violated the EULA

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Publishing Nutanix performance info violates the Nutanix EULA. So that just happened.

Meanwhile, back in this reality, people know How to Lie With Statistics (by D. Huff) and decision-makers know that benchmarks can't be trusted. However, a global (Thank you Internet!) trend tells a different story than a single benchmark study performed under questionable circumstances.

It's true that many companies have some sort of EULA language that discourages the sharing of performance data because a simple graph doesn't show anything remotely conclusive in the absence of context.

My trust in tech decision-makers leads me to believe that people who are looking for performance data will be able to distinguish whether it's a synthetic lab benchmark or a real world workload example.

Apparently the folks at Nutanix, who were (by their own admission) buying VCDX cert holders to bolster the credibility of their brand, think that it would be better for you (and them) if you didn't view the performance reports of actual Nutanix users.

Here's the first of three posts @ VMware worth reading (even though it too has it's share of "we are better because!"), especially the comments.

http://blogs.vmware.com/storage/2015/06/03/vsan-vs-nutanix-head-head-performance-testing-part-1/

dunno about others but i'm getting annoyed by nutanix and their too aggressive marketing

technology is good but nothing special

solution is definitely overpriced

kvm rebadged into 'project necropolis' is ridiculous

rude and uneducated sales at ignite really sucked

"i'm with company for one week"

so what the hell are you doing on major microsoft event?!?!

Yeah they're annoying me too. I don't think it is as great as they say, but I'm sure it is actually a perfectly suitable platform for hyperconverged. What really pisses me off is the twitter swarming and blog comment section hounding they do. I mean its like flies on shit just as soon as someone says anything not positive about them, they're bullies on a scale I've never before witnessed.

That said, we're actually going to use them for our VDI project, but we're kicking the tires of VSAN too... because Nutanix is just too gd expensive. If we get anywhere near the results with something else we're likely to switch.

you cannot throw a stick into vmworld hall without hitting one of hyper-converged vendors

there are so many others except nutanix

including obviously vmware and eve;rail

I met many of the people at Nutanix, I like them and think they built a good product, but what has been going on lately would definitely make me think twice about buying their product. As Thuleman mentioned about the VCDX's. I believe they have six of them...? That is cool. Want the best to build a product, I understand. But, and this is just my opinion, those VCDX definitely helped shape the company. Smart or not, I bet those certifications alone made a big impact especially when attending events and talking about their product. They owe a lot to VMware and should be truly grateful for what they have and their success.

But that was only the start. Now they offer elite NPX certifications... Really? And I believe they started publishing who has them online. Something like seven Nutanix employees. It shows if and how many VCDX certifications they have, and that they also have the NPX certification. I don't know they background on how the VCDX came about or how long VMware was in business before that was a certification, but I feel like they are showing off a bit.

Still not done. Now they released their own hypervisor... They blatantly post comments or blogs criticizing VSAN and RAID technology from 1987. Then when VMware fires back, they change their EULA. Come on guys.

I am all about competition as it helps build better products, but this is starting to turn into Apple vs Samsung. OK OK. Not quite since Nutanix built their own product, but I wouldn't be surprised if patent infringement is next.

I am worried that one of our own over here may be turning to the dark side. :p

At the end of the day, just buy Tintri storage and forget about hyper-converged.

Yeah they're annoying me too. I don't think it is as great as they say, but I'm sure it is actually a perfectly suitable platform for hyperconverged. What really pisses me off is the twitter swarming and blog comment section hounding they do. I mean its like flies on shit just as soon as someone says anything not positive about them, they're bullies on a scale I've never before witnessed.

That said, we're actually going to use them for our VDI project, but we're kicking the tires of VSAN too... because Nutanix is just too gd expensive. If we get anywhere near the results with something else we're likely to switch.

Tintri ;)

I met many of the people at Nutanix, I like them and think they built a good product, but what has been going on lately would definitely make me think twice about buying their product. As Thuleman mentioned about the VCDX's. I believe they have six of them...? That is cool. Want the best to build a product, I understand. But, and this is just my opinion, those VCDX definitely helped shape the company. Smart or not, I bet those certifications alone made a big impact especially when attending events and talking about their product. They owe a lot to VMware and should be truly grateful for what they have and their success.

But that was only the start. Now they offer elite NPX certifications... Really? And I believe they started publishing who has them online. Something like seven Nutanix employees. It shows if and how many VCDX certifications they have, and that they also have the NPX certification. I don't know they background on how the VCDX came about or how long VMware was in business before that was a certification, but I feel like they are showing off a bit.

Still not done. Now they released their own hypervisor... They blatantly post comments or blogs criticizing VSAN and RAID technology from 1987. Then when VMware fires back, they change their EULA. Come on guys.

I am all about competition as it helps build better products, but this is starting to turn into Apple vs Samsung. OK OK. Not quite since Nutanix built their own product, but I wouldn't be surprised if patent infringement is next.

I am worried that one of our own over here may be turning to the dark side. :p

At the end of the day, just buy Tintri storage and forget about hyper-converged.

WOO :D :D

Like lopoetve said, Tintri!

I don't work for Tintri, but I do have their storage and it is great. Unless there is some specific reason you need hyper-converge, Tintri will definitely give you the best performance for your money. We quoted Nutanix last year and the price was insane. The 4th year maintenance renewal on one of our NetApp's cost almost as much as the Tintri T820 we bought. If you have 10Gb networking, it is just incredible. The VM cloning is great which is one reason why I now want to get into VDI.

The problem with Tintri... well there isn't a problem there is a political one I'm not going to solve by using a discrete array of any kind. Even if you spin the shit out of it and call it virtaulization only. In the end it is going to be managed by our Storage side of the house and it just poses a problem, because they're incompetent. I don't care how easy it is, we're talking government employees... which are basically people who just can't get a job anywhere else. There are some contractors, but very few. Hyperconverged solves a political problem at the end of the day. Perhaps going hyperconverged is step one to us managing our own "virtualization arrays", but unlikely within our silos.

I think with Tintri that would be kind of a gray area. Technically you are managing the VMs, not the storage. But I understand what you are saying. That is the one perk of working at a small company. I manage all of it. Then again, that can also be seen as a downside. :) Although I have learned a lot by being able to deal with just about everything.

The problem with Tintri... well there isn't a problem there is a political one I'm not going to solve by using a discrete array of any kind. Even if you spin the shit out of it and call it virtaulization only. In the end it is going to be managed by our Storage side of the house and it just poses a problem, because they're incompetent. I don't care how easy it is, we're talking government employees... which are basically people who just can't get a job anywhere else. There are some contractors, but very few. Hyperconverged solves a political problem at the end of the day. Perhaps going hyperconverged is step one to us managing our own "virtualization arrays", but unlikely within our silos.

There is absolutely nothing they can do wrong to a Tintri device - mainly because there's nothing they can do ~right~ either. it just ~is~ - there's no configuration at ALL to do once you get it an IP address, and assuming they get that far, you're done - it's even MORE on the VM side than anything else.

Nutanix you still end up managing storage - just at the hypervisor layer to configure luns/raid/etc. they'll still screw it up. With Tintri, that's 100% out of their hands - all they get to do is set the management password, and paste in the IP/password for vCenter. Done. Game over.

And does the EULA prohibit sharing any benchmarks? I mean if I take Nutanlx Community edition is it still the case?

I don't get it... For example what if i'd lke to implement that solution in company network so logical idea would be to check if there is any test how that solution work. Other way there is no way co compare them...Other than capabilities.

I don't get it... For example what if i'd lke to implement that solution in company network so logical idea would be to check if there is any test how that solution work. Other way there is no way co compare them...Other than capabilities.
You're OK to benchmark and compare. It's not OK to share these results without prior admission from Nutanix. I partially agree with them (Partially not because they leverage this part of the EULA to hide not-so-good results) I've seen lots of SMB customers doing a file copy and yelling "this SAN is terribly slow, don't buy it" without any understanding of actual benchmarking process. :(

file copy is your worst benchmark actually

Using file copy to measure storage performance – Why it’s not a good idea and what you should do instead | Jose Barreto's Blog

:smuggrin:

You're OK to benchmark and compare. It's not OK to share these results without prior admission from Nutanix. I partially agree with them (Partially not because they leverage this part of the EULA to hide not-so-good results) I've seen lots of SMB customers doing a file copy and yelling "this SAN is terribly slow, don't buy it" without any understanding of actual benchmarking process. :(

Back