Publishers Have Final Say On DRM and Used Games for PS4

HardOCP News

[H] News
Used game sales and DRM is being left up to third-party publishers? Wait, what about all that stuff Sony said yesterday? :(

We create the platform. We’ve certainly stated with our first party games, we’re not going to be doing that. But we welcome publishers and their business models to our platforms. There’s going to be free-to-play; there’s going to be every potential business model on there and again that’s up to their relationship with the consumer and what they think is going to put them in the best stead. So we’re not going to dictate that. We’re going to give them a platform to publish on.

Used game sales and DRM is being left up to third-party publishers? Wait, what about all that stuff Sony said yesterday? :(

What did Sony say that contradicts it?

It's no different, from what I can tell, than the current generation (ex. Skate and BF3). The good news is that EA recently said that they were doing away with that business model.

What did Sony say that contradicts it?

It's no different, from what I can tell, than the current generation (ex. Skate and BF3). The good news is that EA recently said that they were doing away with that business model.

They said no DRM, no restrictions on used game sales. Unless I missed the (*excluding 90% of the developers that make games for our platform) part.

It sounds like they are allowing exactly what is currently allowed. No forced DRM, it's up to the publishers as it has been. Sort of like EA's dick-bag--face DRM moves.

They said no DRM, no restrictions on used game sales.

Actually they said that PS4 wouldn't "impose any new restrictions" (exact words). Publishers are still able to do all the same shit they were on 360 or PS3.

Sony isn't going to mandate that your game can't have an online requirement or must have a single player mode.

BULLSHIT STEVE. You know who has the final say? YOU. ME. Everyone that PLAYS games has the final say. Put down the $60 and stop spending that much for mediocre games you can't control. Otherwise they will control you.

We'll probably have to wait until after the new consoles are available to get any really consistent information about this kind of thing. It's no big deal if you're not a preorder or day one buyer. I probably won't buy until after I can figure out of there are features and apps that I want, but I guess if you're getting one right away and this kinda thing matters to you, you get to cross your fingers and see what happens.

We'll probably have to wait until after the new consoles are available to get any really consistent information about this kind of thing. It's no big deal if you're not a preorder or day one buyer. I probably won't buy until after I can figure out of there are features and apps that I want, but I guess if you're getting one right away and this kinda thing matters to you, you get to cross your fingers and see what happens.

What's inconsistent? They're simply rolling status quo forward.

What's inconsistent? They're simply rolling status quo forward.

I'm not sure, but I think that once the PS4 (and XBox One too) go on sale, we'll have a much better idea of how everything works so all the speculation and attempting to dissect what each company means won't matter because we'll get to see it all in action and then decide what we want to or don't want to buy.

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this instead:

Tretton also said that a PlayStation Plus membership will be a mandatory purchase if you want to play multiplayer for PS4.

I think it was expected by a lot of people. Hell... I called it shortly after PS+ launched. :p
Yeah, we all knew it was coming. Sony racked up so much goodwill sticking it to MS that I don't think too many people care at this point.

Eh, because it's not actually any different from Xbox 360 and Xboner, and unlike Xbox Live, PSN+ is actually really good value for money. I'd go so far as to say you come out behind if you don't have it. It's worth more than they charge for it.

So it's not going to stir up too much controversy when weighed against all the other crap.

To be honest if this was the same PSN from 4 years ago I would be pissed, but they have drastically changed it over the last few years and the old saying that Live is simply better than PSN is not so clear cut anymore. Sony couldn't get cross game chat working at the hardware level iirc otherwise I actually like PSN better now. Before it was trash I admit.

Basically they brought it up to the level where Live "was" prior to ads in your face and put a subscription on it. PSN+ has always been a much better value than Live especially with their free games. Who the hell cares about Halo 3?

I'm a little disappointed but it by no means is a deal breaker and I am certainly not outraged.

Maybe I am missing something with this new gen but how is Sony sticky anything to MS? Right now I see price, which wont mean much in a years time. MS said the same thing about used games, its up to publishers, seems like that "knock out" punch was marketing spin. To me I have not been following this closely it appears the trendy thing to do is to talk up Sony, lets not forget Sony messed up big and compromised everyone's information including credit card information, that sting still exists for me.

So both the PS4 and Xbox One will require a membership fee and used games will be up to the publishers. Since the final price of the consoles haven't been announced, then $400 or less isn't likely either for these consoles.

Just do yourselves a favor and go buy a $500 gaming PC. You don't have to pay to play games online, and you can play free games like League of Legends all you want. Sony and Microsoft have chosen suicide over a business model.

BTW, not surprised.

So both the PS4 and Xbox One will require a membership fee and used games will be up to the publishers. Since the final price of the consoles haven't been announced, then $400 or less isn't likely either for these consoles.

Just do yourselves a favor and go buy a $500 gaming PC. You don't have to pay to play games online, and you can play free games like League of Legends all you want. Sony and Microsoft have chosen suicide over a business model.

BTW, not surprised.
How many used games can you buy/sell on the PC?

Oh right... :rolleyes:

BTW, not surprised.

The final prices were announced..how did you miss it?

XB1 - $499
PS4 - $399

As for the PC comment.. My gaming rig is worth well over $500 and yes PC is my preferred platform. However fact of the matter is there are some games that are simply more fun in my living room on my 55" Tv sitting in my recliner. Fortunately Nintendo, MS and Sony made my decision on my next console super easy.

1) WiiU - Gimmicky controller bullshit, no.
2) XB1 - DRM laden, anti-consumer just fucking no device.
3) PS4 - Next generation without all the gimmicky anti-consumer bullshit...will buy at some point but not for quite a while.

Someone implied you can't play PC games on their TV while sitting in a recliner again.

Maybe I am missing something with this new gen but how is Sony sticky anything to MS? Right now I see price, which wont mean much in a years time. MS said the same thing about used games, its up to publishers, seems like that "knock out" punch was marketing spin. To me I have not been following this closely it appears the trendy thing to do is to talk up Sony, lets not forget Sony messed up big and compromised everyone's information including credit card information, that sting still exists for me.

“We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.”

It remains to be seen how it all actually works, but I interpret this as you're allowed to trade a game in as long as the retailer is paying some sort of license to do so or part of some MS retail program. Ebay, cragslist and smaller independent shops are likely SOL.

Sony, on the other hand, is staying with their current system.

Also, online requirement to play SP games.

It's five dollars a month, damn sight cheaper than Xbox gold.

How is $60 a year a "damn sight cheaper than Xbox gold?"

BULLSHIT STEVE. You know who has the final say? YOU. ME. Everyone that PLAYS games has the final say. Put down the $60 and stop spending that much for mediocre games you can't control. Otherwise they will control you.

LOL! Calm down sir! ;) You are 100% right.

Sony said "When a gamer buys a PS4 disc, they have the rights to use that disc. They can sell it to another person, lend it to a friend, or keep it forever." but that doesn't apply to third-party game publishers, they can do whatever the hell they want (and usually do *cough* EA *cough*). :(

How many used games can you buy/sell on the PC?

Oh right... :rolleyes:

How about 50 free games you could play right now? PC doesn't deal with used games, cause rarely do we worry about paying $60 for games.

The final prices were announced..how did you miss it?

XB1 - $499
PS4 - $399
No idea, but yea the prices are out.
As for the PC comment.. My gaming rig is worth well over $500 and yes PC is my preferred platform. However fact of the matter is there are some games that are simply more fun in my living room on my 55" Tv sitting in my recliner.

No PC on your TV? I can help you with that.

Get these.

hdmi-2-1.jpg

+
Bluetooth-USB-Adapter-22233076202.jpg

+
sixaxis-controller-2.jpg

I swear it's just like gaming on a console, with the optional mouse+keyboard. Also, you don't need to pay a monthly fee to play games either.
Fortunately Nintendo, MS and Sony made my decision on my next console super easy.

1) WiiU - Gimmicky controller bullshit, no.
2) XB1 - DRM laden, anti-consumer just fucking no device.
3) PS4 - Next generation without all the gimmicky anti-consumer bullshit...will buy at some point but not for quite a while.

There's only 1 reason ever to buy a next gen console, and that's to mod it and install Ubuntu on it.

BTW, not surprised.

That's a bit disingenuous. That A6-6400K with integrated GPU isn't going to give people a comparable gaming experience to the $100 cheaper PS4, let alone surpass it, unless they are into retro, casual, or indie.

Get these.
snip.

As nice as that sounds... it's not a perfect solution. However, with things like Steam Big Picture, it's getting better (so you can navigate your library, send messages, Launch games etc all with a wireless controller.. without the need for a mouse or keyboard).

My biggest issue with using my PC in my living room is distance. My gaming rig isn't near my living room TV... so if I want to use it I have to either bring all of my hardware into the living room and try to find extra outlets (which is a huge PITA) or build a rig specifically for the living room (which isn't ideal, since I already have a dedicated gaming rig).

I had hope that Widi or whatever it was called would take off but it didn't seem to gain much traction. I'm hoping that either the steambox or the nvidia shield will help with that.

Apparently Copyright law, Fair Use, and the Constitution don't enter into the equation. :rolleyes::mad:

This will end badly..... again. :cool::eek:

Is the Steambox still coming?

It may save us all...if it has sports games i.e. Madden.

I hope so.

I have a lot of friends that would probably like to get their feet wet with PC gaming, but without the common headaches associated with them (tethered to a desk, driver updates, cost, etc)

Actually they said that PS4 wouldn't "impose any new restrictions" (exact words). Publishers are still able to do all the same shit they were on 360 or PS3.

Sony isn't going to mandate that your game can't have an online requirement or must have a single player mode.

This is why I have chosen the PS4. They are not going to force anything on us unlike Microsoft.

How about 50 free games you could play right now? PC doesn't deal with used games, cause rarely do we worry about paying $60 for games.

No idea, but yea the prices are out.

Get these.

hdmi-2-1.jpg

+
Bluetooth-USB-Adapter-22233076202.jpg

+
sixaxis-controller-2.jpg

I swear it's just like gaming on a console, with the optional mouse+keyboard. Also, you don't need to pay a monthly fee to play games either.

There's only 1 reason ever to buy a next gen console, and that's to mod it and install Ubuntu on it.

Except no it's not.

1) My computer sits at my desk with a tri monitor setup for both productivity and gaming.
2) Games I want to play with a KB/mouse I play on my PC.
3) Games I don't want to play on a KB/mouse there is literally zero reason to play on my PC.
4) Hauling my entire tower downstairs into the room where my TV is for a game would not only be a pain, but just dumb.
5) Controllers don't navigate windows all that well.
6) Games that are on both console and PC usually have retarded DRM restrictions on their PC counterpart I don't care to deal with.

I could go on for a while, but the short of it is..why deal with a bunch of stupid bullshit when I can just have a console too? I don't have this inherit need to insist stupidly that PC is the only viable platform. I suppose if your room is still setup like a college dorm with all your shit on the floor, then it doesn't matter. For those of us who have moved out of that particular demographic and have our stuff hanging on the wall with wires and all hidden. It is a little more of a nuisance. As to the impending argument of "Why not just build another PC?" Because other than the obvious arguments above, I don't need yet more crap cluttering up my cabinet. The console = Blu-ray device, Streaming media and gaming. To put a PC in that setup that is going to be marginally better at best (specs for price) for all of that would just be dumb.

Who cares about this; xbone hardware looks like junk. PS4 hardware is better, but because xbone is junk all games will be designed for that and yet another generation of shitty pc ports is in store for us. When will this cycle end?

The only publisher who used nasty DRM for the PS3, was Capcom who added online DRM for the PSN games Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Final Fight (so people wouldn't be able to share them with the 5 machine activations thingies which now Sony cut down to 2). In other words, it was extremely uncommon, and I expect it to be very uncommon for the PS4 too.

The only publisher who used nasty DRM for the PS3, was Capcom who added online DRM for the PSN games Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and Final Fight (so people wouldn't be able to share them with the 5 machine activations thingies which now Sony cut down to 2). In other words, it was extremely uncommon, and I expect it to be very uncommon for the PS4 too.

Yea but now that Microsoft is going full-on with this shit, all the publishers will be hopping on board... and if their offering is going to be fucked with DRM on one console, why not on both!?

Back