Publish Plan

King_N

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2007
As everyone has noticed the site has gone through some major changes as of late.

The Following is my current publish plan,

1] Upgrade the overall site. *Complete*

a: Implement New Layout Design
b: Re-write existing functions with cleaner, faster, more up-to-date code.
c: Re-Write the navigation code.
d: Implement BBCode functions for News and Guides.
e: Remove old HTML project guides, replace with database driven guides section.
f: Remove project add-ons that point to dead sites.
g: Implement new all-in-one site search function.
h: Implement new pagination system.
i: Implement new login, edit account, and new member registration functions.
j: Implement new [H] direct link in nav bar, links direct to team stats (as requested).
k: Added Halloween theme(runs during the month of October)
l: Completely re-write normal gauntlet stats
m: Create Rewards tracker for forum admins(as per request)
n: Added ETA to each mark UD and F@H rewards section.
o: Added Thanksgiving Theme (Runs during the month of November)
p: Added Christmas Theme (Runs during the month of December)

2] Upgrade United Devices stats section (Completed, currently looking for bugs that slipped through internal testing)

a: Write all new stats fetch/process function.
b: Implement new Defcon warning system.
c: Implement new milestone hit routine.
d: Implement new member display functions alive/dead/all.
e: Implement new display sort by functions.
f: Impliment new 7/14/21/28 day averages(Attack/Threats section) [as requested].
g: Upgrade graphs sections.
h: Re-design stats layout to match the new site look.
i: Change milestone plan(as per request)
j: Update all site pages that refferance the milestones sections
k: Update badges to account for milestone changes
l: Last 8 changed to last 30(days, weeks, months).

3] Upgrade Folding@Home stats section.

a: Write all new stats fetch/process function.
b: Implement new Defcon warning system.
c: Implement new milestone hit routine.
d: Implement new member display functions alive/dead/all.
e: Implement new display sort by functions.
f: Impliment new 7/14/21/28 day averages(Attack/Threats section) [as requested].
g: Upgrade graphs sections.
h: Implement new badge system to match United Devices badge system.
i: Re-design stats layout to match the new site look.
j: Change milestone plan(as per request)
k: Update all site pages that refferance the milestones sections
l: Update badges to account for milestone changes

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the additions/changes, I chose to do this upgrade in sections to cut back on confusion, working on a site this size with so many areas and so many functions can get a bit confusing to say the least. The project stats sections alone are big enough and contain enough code to be considered sites of their own.

Note: there is no completion time-frame, basically these changes will be done when they're done, I do my best to test everything before I publish it, and I do not publish code until I feel it is as bug free as possible. Sometimes this process takes longer then I would like, however I would rather take more time then publish known broken/buggy code.

1 [H]ard Team, 2 Great Projects, 1 Common Goal..... The Cure.

Site Admin: [H]ard|Folding
Lurker Extraordinaire

Nice work.
Its looking good.

One thing I would like is can you expand the badges above the million mark so they follow the same pattern as the badges below that mark.

Luck ....... :D

No completion timeframe?? That's it, I want a refund! Oh wait... :)

Seriously though thanks for keeping us updated, the site looks great!

I actually like the look of the site much better than before. Kudos.

One gripe. When I scroll it is choppy as all get out. Is that one of the bugs you are trying to squash?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7

AtomicMoose said:
I actually like the look of the site much better than before. Kudos.

One gripe. When I scroll it is choppy as all get out. Is that one of the bugs you are trying to squash?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7
I noticed something just now... I'm folding on my GPU now and I get the same problem that you are having on some websites, including HardFolding. But without the GPU folding on, I don't get that stuttering "choppy" problems. Just a thought if you are GPU folding.

Jon855 said:
I noticed something just now... I'm folding on my GPU now and I get the same problem that you are having on some websites, including HardFolding. But without the GPU folding on, I don't get that stuttering "choppy" problems. Just a thought if you are GPU folding.
No, I'm not. But I am not surprised that is happening to you guys. I guess the beta client is not good at giving cycles back.
;)

Jon855 said:

Yeah I have that happen as well. Not a big deal but it's noticable.

The site was built using Internet Explorer 6.X and Firefox 1.5.0.7 to test everything, I have spent the entire day trying to re-create the choppiness with no success, seems to run smooth as silk here. I'm not saying that it's not happening, I just can't re-create it on this end, I even tried it with several games loaded taxing the video and memory usage.

The only thing I can come up with is firefox is a known memory hog, I'm not saying it's not a good program just saying it uses a ton of mem, is it possible something is running in the background that could be causing this?

Unfortunetly unless I can re-create the problem, I can't fix it.

Lurker Extraordinaire

Sorry I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been. It has nothing to do with your site.

What I (we) were saying was that there is choppiness when running the GPU client. If I shut the client off your site works fine.

AtomicMoose said:
It very well could be my system at work. I tested again when I got home and it seems better. Thanks for looking into it.
:)
must be UD messing it up...:p

Thanks King_N for getting my HardFarming pics back up!

Plan skew,

1K] Added Halloween theme(runs during the month of October)
1L] Completely re-write normal gauntlet stats
1M] Create Rewards tracker for forum admins(as per request)

2I] Change milestone plan(as per request)
2J] Update all site pages that refferance the milestones sections
2K] Update badges to account for milestone changes

3J] Change milestone plan(as per request)
3K] Update all site pages that refferance the milestones sections
3L] Update badges to account for milestone changes

New milestone badge changes(Not in effect yet)

new_mile.gif

Lurker Extraordinaire

3J] Change milestone plan(as per request

who requested/what was requested chang?

I don't like the purple [H]s. They are silly. They really really don't fit with the site colors. To me they just stand out a lot. With the new done numbers no one will hit them for a long time, so it's all good I guess.

Actually none of the actual colors have changed from the current system. I simply added new milestone achievements, and created new milestone graphics using the current graphics and colors as a guiding template.

The changes start at the 1,000,000 mark.

Lurker Extraordinaire

MN Scout said:
With the new done numbers no one will hit them for a long time, so it's all good I guess.

I hate to say this but the top 2 in the UD stats are into the Purple [H]'s

Thanks for adding the new milestone King but ......
Could you please follow the same 15 steps colour pattern of the lower numbers if possible.
Thay way when someones goes over 1,000,000,000 we can just add an other15 badges in a new two tone colour.

The idea behind the design was that when you started the badges changed fairly quickly to help keep beginners interested.
And as you got higher there was no sudden big jumps in the scale.
Hence 15 steps per power of 10.

PS. Sorry you dont like purple but is was either put it at the start or the end.
And at the end worked better.

Luck ............. :D

Ok, badges have been re-done again, using the format requested.

new_mile_1.gif

Lurker Extraordinaire

1st: King I like that new mock up. Very nice.

I always like the little [H]s for their visual interest to posts. I never really just look at the [H]s to figure out what the number is. I look at the number after the "p:". Purple is less interesting than red, so that is what drove my comment. Though with my production numbers I'll never have to worry about getting to the purple myself.

How's the outlook on UD options migrated over to the F@H badges, any ETA? I think that is 3h. Are you going directly in this order. 1a,b,c....2a,b,c ect in the implementation?

Actually no, the letters are just there to show all the different changes will be taking effect.

As far as ETA goes, it's really tough to say, basically I have so much on the plate and things are getting added as I come up with them, or as I receive request that will fit into the current scheme of things. Each and every thing on the list has to be coded, then tested, then tested some more, and tested even more, and tested again before I feel it is as bug free as possible.

Did I mention it must be tested???

Right now a big issue is the re-write of the stats processing code, all these new features are being added and that is causing some issues, not to mention UD has been having a few issues of their own as far as their stats, which has hampered the development.

That is basically why I never give an ETA, it's just too tough to judge.

Lurker Extraordinaire

Excellent work, King ! I like the new scheme, it opens up the top end nicely & uniformly.

Yes, testing is definately important important important. I'm a junior this year in getting a CS major, so I've coded a bunch of things for class and personally, and I know the importance of testing. So take as much time as you need. We all want to see it done right.

Thanks King.
Your the boss.
Looking good.

Now thats a thought. Bright Pink for +1,000,000,000.......... :p

Luck ............ :D

Now that I think about it is that pink is the color of those Breast Cancer awareness ribbons. And we are trying to cure that, so I guess pinks good.

Mmmm......Pink.....Breast :D

Sorry for that, back on topic. Thanks for all the [H]ard work King :cool:

Hardfolding.com Is really looking great King!!

Thank you for all the work you have done and continue to do to the site.

MN Scout said:
Yes, testing is definately important important important. I'm a junior this year in getting a CS major, so I've coded a bunch of things for class and personally, and I know the importance of testing. So take as much time as you need. We all want to see it done right.

Slightly off topic but as a professional tester I have one request for when you enter the professional world. Don't blame testing for finding defects in your code. ;)

Another slight skew,

1N] Added ETA to each mark UD and F@H rewards section.
1O] Added Thanksgiving Theme (Runs during the month of November)

Lurker Extraordinaire

Site update done today, release bug finding/squashing phase begins.

Lurker Extraordinaire

Back