Public Access Programming software

wizdum

[H]ard|Gawd
I do some "IT" work for a local town of fewer than 4000 people. Today they had me look at their "Public Access Programming" equipment as it had stopped broadcasting. This is the equipment that they use to broadcast town meetings and news over their local cable channel. The setup is pretty simple, but cobbled together badly. They have two inputs, one is a camera in the meeting room, the other is a secondary video output on an old PC that runs a powerpoint presentation. A simple mechanical video switcher lets them choose which input is broadcast. The output from the switcher feeds into a DVD burner, which lets them record and playback meetings. The DVD burner passes the video through to an RF modulator that then sends the signal to the cable company.

I'd like to clean this up a bit and move the DVD recording/playback and the video switching functions to software on the PC (and possibly get rid of powerpoint). The PC is currently running Windows 95, with no network access, so every time content needs to be updated someone has to go into the network closet and manually transcribe everything into the powerpoint presentation.

Does anyone know of a free/open source video broadcasting solution? They need something with the following features:

-The ability to switch between an external input (a composite video camera), and some sort of basic slideshow

-The ability to record the video and save it for archiving purposes (the ability to queue up archived video for playback would be a nice additional feature, but is optional)

-The interface needs to be fairly simple

-Remote access is necessary, but can probably be achieved by VNC/RDP once the OS is updated to one from this decade.

Back