Psuedo Hard Drive Failure...

randyc

Best Person
(Probably irrelevant)I recently added a 160gb harddrive to my fileserver, which already had a 40gb and 30gb hardrive (both maxtors) in it.

I rebooted a few days later and realized the 30gb harddrive was not showing (holds all my legally obtained music) in Windows as a drive or in the Disk Management console, but only in Device Manager and the BIOS.

I decided to give this a little try in another computer, so I put it in and its not working here either. Exact same symptoms, though its good to see that when I loggged in on this computer (the new host for the 30gigger) it said new hardware found and all that.

My Goal: recover the stuff I may be losing if I can't fix this.
Any help is extremely appreciated.

-randyc

On a more helpful note... When you put the HDD in a working computer did you set it as the slave and just try to copy over the contents?

What does Maxtor's HDD diagnostic utility tell you?

try going into the MMC/disk management console and assigning a new drive letter to it...

i swap out drives all day @ work and often times windows dosnt recognise the new ones in my comp until i do that.... the new letter saves it all....

(im a IT guy for thomas group / Viyu network solutions)

www.thomasgroup.com (i built it!)

www.viyunet.com (i also built this one LOL)

....web design isnt my main focus BTW ... other than those two pages which i still maintain

im a network admin and general hardware guy etc

randyc said:
I decided to give this a little try in another computer, so I put it in and its not working here either. Exact same symptoms, though its good to see that when I loggged in on this computer (the new host for the 30gigger) it said new hardware found and all that.
-randyc

and you still couldn't see it in the explorer?

Elledan said:
What does Maxtor's HDD diagnostic utility tell you?
MaxBlast?

Is there somewhere I can download it?

[H]IronMonkey said:
try going into the MMC/disk management console and assigning a new drive letter to it...

i swap out drives all day @ work and often times windows dosnt recognise the new ones in my comp until i do that.... the new letter saves it all....

(im a IT guy for thomas group / Viyu network solutions)

www.thomasgroup.com (i built it!)

www.viyunet.com (i also built this one LOL)

....web design isnt my main focus BTW ... other than those two pages which i still maintain

im a network admin and general hardware guy etc
It doesn't even show up in the Disk Manager

Major_A said:
On a more helpful note... When you put the HDD in a working computer did you set it as the slave and just try to copy over the contents?
Both computers work, they just dont show this harddrive.
Originally my file server was downloading all these files into the harddrive until I decide to one day restart the machine, upon the reboot all these symptons showed up

TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
and you still couldn't see it in the explorer?
Nein

-randyc

Back