PSU Wiring Question?

Techlord

Weaksauce
Hi everyone,

I'm currently sleeving my SeaSonic X-1250 Series PSU and am using MDPC-X sleeving, I want all or the wires even and strait. You are looking at a 12-pin CPU connector where all of the ground wires plug-in and there are 3 ground wires, can I remove and uncross the three ground wires so that all three ground wires come together untwisted in the connector?

If so can I also untwist the positive wires in same fashion as long as I plug them in the +12V inserts in the connector? I have the connector diagrams and it shows yellow squares as +12V and the black squares as ground, just want to be sure before I do anything!

Much appreciated, Systemlord.

dscf3939p.jpg

Why don't you just go to frozen CPU and buy the one you want instead of "making" it. In my experience, when you pull wires out of pins, the connectors are so cheap they tend not to work, especially if you do it more then once.

The pins are press fit into the connector, so pulling them in/out will make them loose over time and cause a defect. If you want to re-sleeve your cables, then carefully cut the braided cable out (or the insulation wrap, not sure which is original here), slip the tubing over, and seal it.

It won't be as nice as a custom job, you will likely have to either wrap all of the cables into one bundle or cut the shrink wrap material, but again, pulling the pins in/out is not good for their use.

With that out of the way.... I'm guessing that is the end which goes INTO the power supply and you aren't modifying an ancient AT power supply?

As far as "fixing" the twisted pair of cables, it usually indicates something specific (in the olden days it was the floppy/ide connector) I would ensure there isn't a reason and specific use for this connector before destroying it. As far as "fixing" goes, as long as you put the right wire back in the correct location, no issues, but the shape of the pin/connector has ZERO to do with the voltages of the line. Yellow is 12v, red is 5, black is ground, and there are a ton more colors.

Here is a chart, should help. Start with where the cables END not begin to decide which goes where, rather then slot shape of the connector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Power_supply

Here are some more. http://pinouts.ru/pin_Power.shtml

Last edited:
In my experience, when you pull wires out of pins, the connectors are so cheap they tend not to work, especially if you do it more then once.

I have quite the opposite experience. I have no problems taking the pins out of the housings multiple times without any loss of function.

The pins are press fit into the connector, so pulling them in/out will make them loose over time and cause a defect.

As long as you're not mutilating the retention tabs it should be fine.

can I remove and uncross the three ground wires so that all three ground wires come together untwisted in the connector?

Yes you can undo the wire arrangement. As long as the same color wire goes where one was removed you'll be fine.

I'm actually sleeving an X-1050 right now =P. Why not use the shrink-less method? It's more secure.

I have quite the opposite experience. I have no problems taking the pins out of the housings multiple times without any loss of function.

As long as you're not mutilating the retention tabs it should be fine.

Yes you can undo the wire arrangement. As long as the same color wire goes where one was removed you'll be fine.

I'm actually sleeving an X-1050 right now =P. Why not use the shrink-less method? It's more secure.

Actually I tried the shrink-less method when I was 25 percent complete using the regular method and I now prefer it shrink-less! These Seasonic connector are strong, a few were in so tight I had to rip the wire out. No biggy though I have plenty of MDPC-X crimping tool and all the replacement pins. I contacted a tech at Seasonic and was told as long as I put the ground wire in a ground slot I'll be fine, the way he said it went something like this, " The X-1250 doesn't know the difference between ground wire A versus ground wire B".

Obviously it must be on the same connector and not between two different connectors! I also took notice on two of my PCIe connectors had few wires of the same color (ground) in different pin inserts than the previous first two. The way I do it is sleeve one wire at a time, this way there's no way I could make a costly mistake. I just purchased a Samsung 830 Series SSD 256GB and an Intel Core i7 3770K, I'm not waiting for Haswell. At best it's 10 percent faster than Ivy Bridge, I'm going to get the Asus Maximus V Extreme.

These Seasonic connector are strong, a few were in so tight I had to rip the wire out. No biggy though I have plenty of MDPC-X crimping tool and all the replacement pins.

The best method I've used (tried paper clip, staples, MNPC Tech removal tool) is to use a standard precision flat-head screwdriver in 1mm or 1/32" size. Slide it into the housing on the outside of the pin in there with the flat head parallel to the pin wall. Then turn 90 degrees a few times (this pushes the retaining tab on the pin in), then repeat on the other side. It works fast, you don't need any makeshift tools or really expensive ones (a set of these can be had at your local hardware store for $5-$10). and the tabs are nowhere near damaged and easily reusable.

I would buy from frozen, but the cost to do wiring there is so expensive like 500 for an HX650

Back