PSU Watt monitor

Is there a psu watt monitoring software that will tell you how much watt your entire system is drawing for the psu?

Hardware wise there is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and had real good luck with it. Since the display doesn't light up just attach it to whatever device you want to monitor and then to a surge protector. It makes it tons more flexible.
That also does not tell you how much power you're drawing from the PSU; only roughly how much power the PSU is drawing from the wall. It's a useful tool, although not accurate enough to really rely on.

That also does not tell you how much power you're drawing from the PSU; only roughly how much power the PSU is drawing from the wall. It's a useful tool, although not accurate enough to really rely on.

You can always factor in typical efficiency of the 80%+ rating to get a good enough estimate. It's not price, but good enough.

A lot of hardware review sites publish efficiency at specified loads.

A lot of hardware review sites publish efficiency at specified loads.
But to work backwards from that with decent accuracy, you need an accurate value for power draw from the wall, and a Kill-A-Watt does not have very good accuracy.

Hardware wise there is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001

I bought one of these a few weeks ago and had real good luck with it. Since the display doesn't light up just attach it to whatever device you want to monitor and then to a surge protector. It makes it tons more flexible.

I too bit on one of these for $16.99 on a shell-shocker deal from Newegg. I haven't even opened it. Should I send it back? You guys don't seem to think much of it. What is better for say around $25.00? If you could make a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

I too bit on one of these for $16.99 on a shell-shocker deal from Newegg. I haven't even opened it. Should I send it back? You guys don't seem to think much of it. What is better for say around $25.00? If you could make a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
There's nothing better unless you want to spend considerably more money. You just need to know that you're not dealing with a precision measurement tool.

There's nothing better unless you want to spend considerably more money. You just need to know that you're not dealing with a precision measurement tool.

Zero82z: you mean it's no "fluke" the watt meter is so cheap?

(I tried, I tried, I really tried to avoid posting this pun but the flesh is weak)

I've used a Kill A Watt... It gives me results that would be expected based on my hardware.

What he's saying is that anything that will give more precise measurements than the Kill-a-watt is much more expensive (probably at least $100). The Kill-a-watt just gives you ballpark measurements, and for most users that is fine.

But to work backwards from that with decent accuracy, you need an accurate value for power draw from the wall, and a Kill-A-Watt does not have very good accuracy.

While true, I think it serves "our" purposes pretty well ;)

Back