PSU too weak?

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently my system is as my signature, except I've added two WD 2500KS in Raid 1. I just purchased two BFG 7800GTX 256mb and want to run them SLI with my 535Watt Enermax SLI PSU.

When I boot, I'm stuck at the "Detecting Raid" in my BIOS.

WHen I unplug one of the hard drives, my system will boot through.

Does this mean my PSU is weak?

The weird thing is even with one 7800GTX, I have to unplug one hard drive in order for the system to boot past the Raid detection.

No. Sounds more like one of your drive is dead. But double check the cables first. Use a different SATA and power connector if available.

jonnyGURU said:
No. Sounds more like one of your drive is dead. But double check the cables first. Use a different SATA and power connector if available.

Tried unplugging either one of the drives, and as long as one is unplugged, it works.

The two drives were working 5 minutes before I plugged the 7800GTX's in.

DaLurker said:
Tried unplugging either one of the drives, and as long as one is unplugged, it works.

The two drives were working 5 minutes before I plugged the 7800GTX's in.

Weird. I would think if your power supply was so much on the verge of being overloaded, simply one hard drive would not make the difference between detection by the RAID controller and working smoothly in Windows.

Are you using the RAID for these drives? If not, what if you leave all of the drives connected but disable RAID?

Yep, the drives are in a mirror configuration.

I'll try disabling the Raid. Actually I'm having a similar problem with only 1 7800GTX. If I remove a drive, it will be fine. If I don't, then Its stuck detecting Raid.

Are there any known issues with the DFI Expert board with SLI?

Does this happen so that when you disconnect the drive, it works, but it's the samne drive? It might be a misconfigured drive.

Bbq said:
Does this happen so that when you disconnect the drive, it works, but it's the samne drive? It might be a misconfigured drive.

I've tried both, and the Raid was working perfectly before I put the 7800 GTX's in.

What makes me think it's not the PSU is that the second video card isn't going to draw less power than a single hard drive.

jonnyGURU said:
What makes me think it's not the PSU is that the second video card isn't going to draw less power than a single hard drive.

Well, you guys were all right. Turns out the PSU could handle it, the problem was the SATA connector was knocked loose when installing the second card. After reseating the cables, everything worked dandy.

Thanks guys!

Back