PSU too old?

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my pc where when I boot up a game my monitor turns off and my other monitor freezes and the only way to fix my PC is to turn it off by the button, this only happened after installing my new GPU, does anyone know why this could be happening? (I don't know if it happens with other games as those are the only two I've been playing) also this only happens every 1 in 5 times

I did some searching up and I thought it might be PSU related? I have a really old psu (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/750w-seasonic-m1211-750w-hybrid-modular-80plus-bronze-120mm-silent-fan-sli-xfire-atx12v-eps12v-psu) it's 750w though and this problem only started to happen after I got my new 3070. DO you think this could be the problem? and if so do I need to get a new psu and if so do i need higher then 750? I was told 750 would of been fine
I have a 3070 FE

Thanks in advance

750w is plenty but it could be dying. but first i would download ddu(google), run it and then install the newest nv drivers. also go down to one monitor for testing.
ps: welcome to [H]!

PSUs don't automatically go bad just because they are "old", and really, 7 years isn't that old. The PSUs in both my primary and backup computers are almost twice as old and both work fine. You should inspect the capacitors inside the power supply for obvious signs of failure because there have been some PSUs in the past that used cheap/bad capacitors. Also more important than age is the question of what kind of life the PSU had. Has it been kept clean and cool, or caked with dust and pet hair inside a case with poor air circulation and allowed to roast for most of it's life?

One easy test is to use artificial GPU/CPU tests to stress your PSU and see exactly how it is able to handle a high power-consumption scenario. Use Furmark on your GPU. That will cause your GPU to pull more power than it ever would in any normal game. If it works fine with Furmark, but has issues in a game, it's unlikely to be a power issue. Just to cover all bases, you could try running a basic CPU stress test at the same time as you run Furmark. That would result in about a worst-case scenario in terms of power consumption, and if your computer runs fine during that, then your PSU is likely still doing great.

This "Oh my god, the PSU is more than a few years old, REPLACE!" hysteria is kind of ridiculous. Electronics that are well built and well cared for can last 50+ years.

Last edited:
PSUs don't automatically go bad just because they are "old", and really, 7 years isn't that old. The PSUs in both my primary and backup computers are almost twice as old and both work fine. You should inspect the capacitors inside the power supply for obvious signs of failure because there have been some PSUs in the past that used cheap/bad capacitors. Also more important than age is the question of what kind of life the PSU had. Has it been kept clean and cool, or caked with dust and pet hair inside a case with poor air circulation and allowed to roast for most of it's life?

One easy test is to use artificial GPU/CPU tests to stress your PSU and see exactly how it is able to handle a high power-consumption scenario. Use Furmark on your GPU. That will cause your GPU to pull more power than it ever would in any normal game. If it works fine with Furmark, but has issues in a game, it's unlikely to be a power issue. Just to cover all bases, you could try running a basic CPU stress test at the same time as you run Furmark. That would result in about a worst-case scenario in terms of power consumption, and if your computer runs fine during that, then your PSU is likely still doing great.

This "Oh my god, the PSU is more than a few years old, REPLACE!" hysteria is kind of ridiculous. Electronics that are well built and well cared for can last 50+ years.
yes, true.
OCCT can do both at the same time.
where are you getting "hysteria" from?!

Sorry for thread necro. My first thing to check would be that the 6+2 is completely plugged in. The problems you describe sound like a lose 2 pin.

Back