• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU strong enough to reuse?

B!nd.

Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2012
Messages
757
Upgrading to 6700k and Titan XP. Will be OCing the CPU. I have a 4 year old HX750 from my previous build and it seems to be in top shape. Will that suffice?
 
yep, the efficiency probably dropped a little as it ages but you should have more than enough power for that setup. if you're concerned about voltage/line stability you may want to check reviews; the new power supplies are pretty impressive. I picked up an EVGA P2 750 a while back and it's solid when compared to my old Corsair TX 750
 
yep, the efficiency probably dropped a little as it ages but you should have more than enough power for that setup. if you're concerned about voltage/line stability you may want to check reviews; the new power supplies are pretty impressive. I picked up an EVGA P2 750 a while back and it's solid when compared to my old Corsair TX 750

Thanks. I'll look into. I may just wait it out if I consider SLI in the future.
 
Does Skylake suffer from the same sleep state power draw as Haswell?

Suffer? Not sure that explains it. Haswell brought a new sleep state that old psu are not compatible with. It is Intel, and that C7 state is here to stay.
 
Suffer? Not sure that explains it. Haswell brought a new sleep state that old psu are not compatible with. It is Intel, and that C7 state is here to stay.

I see. I didn't read the entire fully so I presumed that the power draw was a negative. Thanks for the information.
 
Upgrading to 6700k and Titan XP. Will be OCing the CPU. I have a 4 year old HX750 from my previous build and it seems to be in top shape. Will that suffice?

Keep the GPU at stock and you have enough power for SLI.


Which really only matters for GPUs with very low idle power states, and can also be easily remedied by disabling that sleep state.
 
Keep the GPU at stock and you have enough power for SLI.

What if I want to OC the one GPU? Doesn't each stock TXP draw 250w?


Which really only matters for GPUs with very low idle power states, and can also be easily remedied by disabling that sleep state.

I will disabling sleep state regardless. I never sleep my machines.
 
What if I want to OC the one GPU? Doesn't each stock TXP draw 250w?




I will disabling sleep state regardless. I never sleep my machines.

For a hypothetical SLI TXP, two stock GPUs will draw 500 watts. Your CPU will pull at most 150 watts overclocked, and 50 watts for the rest of the system. That puts you right at 700 watts, with a 50 watt margin in the absolute worse case scenario (won't be seen with 99.9% of games). The most power you can make a single GPU draw on air is ~300 watts, unless you get a really strong aftermarket cooling solution, at which point you might be able to pull 350 watts.
 
For a hypothetical SLI TXP, two stock GPUs will draw 500 watts. Your CPU will pull at most 150 watts overclocked, and 50 watts for the rest of the system. That puts you right at 700 watts, with a 50 watt margin in the absolute worse case scenario (won't be seen with 99.9% of games). The most power you can make a single GPU draw on air is ~300 watts, unless you get a really strong aftermarket cooling solution, at which point you might be able to pull 350 watts.

Thanks for those figures. Looks like I'll keep this PSU for now.
 
Back
Top