• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU recommendation needed for i7 build.

Moog

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 22, 2002
Messages
1,048
So I'm building a new machine for myself so my better half and I can have separate home offices.

My build is going to be as follows:
Core i7 920
Radeon 4870 1GB + 4890 (I know, I know, but I'm getting the 4890 at a good price. I'm going to pick up another 4890 in a few months and perhaps run all 3)
3 sticks of DDR3 1600
DVD-RW
DVD-ROM
3 7.2k RPM SATA drives
1 10k RPM SATA drive
2 or 3 120mm case fans

I'll probably OC the proc and video cards a bit, but nothing drastic.

I've heard good things about the Silencer 910 or the Silverstone OP1000, but will either of those be enough? I don't want to break the bank on a PSU, but don't want to get a bargain basement item.

Cheers.
 
Both PSUs you mentioned would be much more than enough. If you're okay with spending that much money then I'd recommend the Silencer, but you could make do with a quality 750W PSU as well like the Silencer 750W or Corsair TX750.
 
Corsair HX850 is a really good modular psu thats in your price range.
 
+1 with the Corsair suggestion.

850 would fit the bill. Corsair's PSU "calculator" says the 750 would even suffice for: overclocked i7, 2 x 4890, and 4 hdds
You probably want the 850 though.

Haha, Newegg's PSU calculator recommends a higher a higher PSU wattage at ~1050W.

In my opinion, high quality watts is much more important than pure wattage though.
 
I went with the Silverstone 1000NV for the 100% modular cable system to give the case a clean look and not have to hide all of those cables that I'm not going to use. Also because it's 80Plus and SLI rated. The i7 is 130 watts right off the bat so do go lower than 750watts depending on how much you want your system to grow over time. Plus I didn't have to sleeve a bunch of unused cables as well and sleeving gets spendy as well... Good Luck with your decision, I tossed so many around before I bought..
 
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I've decided to go with the HX850 since I'm partial to corsair products (currently using an HX620) and modular cabling.

Cheers.
 
Back
Top