• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU Recommendation - Ice Czar comment please

Tempest25

n00b
Joined
Oct 11, 2004
Messages
43
I'm looking at setting up a new system and the OCZ PowerStream 520W I ordered is dead. They're currently OOS everywhere, so I need an alternate. From looking over past threads and staying in the under $150 range, I've narrowed it down to:

Antec NeoPower 480W
or
Enermax NoiseTaker 2.0 490W or CoolerGiant 2.0 480W

I had the Enermax 550W EG651P-VE FM(24P) listed, and thanks for your comments gee, but I just realized that appears to be an older model and would rather go with one of the above 2.

Setup:
MSI Neo2 Platinum
AMD64 3000+
Patriot PC3200 XBL
BFG 6800 GT OC

I will be OCing both chip and video card.

Thanks for your help!
 
We use the Enermax 651 at work for embedded systems, it's an extremely good supply.

We've short-circuited the thing repeatedly, run it full-load at 40C, browned it out, blocked its fans, and many other terrible things... The thing takes a beating and keeps on going. Highly recommended... The only way we managed to break one was by accidentally plugging it into 208V with the switch at 120V. :D

I have no experience with the Neo, but the modular cords are slick.
 
hmmm...

damn near a dead heat on a merry-go-round :p

The Neopower has a tighter spec for the load regulation at 3%
they have identical spec for AC Ripple
all three are good supplies

The Neopower recently operated through a brownout much as gee described his Enermax did
(latest Maximum PC, 125 watt load with a down to 60VAC brownout)
for overclocking Id try to gather some more empirical evidence,
but thats almost always flawed due to the uncontrolled variables assorted members have in their rigs
it would rare indeed to find someone with the same set and having put them head to head

personally Id probably get the Neopower, though if you have a UPS (which you should)
the difference in the Load Regulation spec wouldnt mean alot
 
Thank you very much for your comments. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yes, I do have an APC UPS that'll pretty much negate the need for the voltage regulation, though it's always nice to have. Not necessary when comparing these though. I also read that review in Maximum PC, though it seems quite flawed. They rate the OCZ supply quite poor when many people use them, including many sites using them in test rigs.

With your comments above, it would seem I should opt for the NeoPower. The modular cables are nice. Would you even put the NeoPower above OCZ in recommendations?
 
THREAD JACK ALERT

IceCzar, or others that are in the know, what do you think of the following:



Hexus.net has a review of the Tagan up. Very impressive I think.

In the states they are sold under the E-Power brand and labeled as the "Tagan" series of PSU's. If you go to the main Tagan website, and click 'AWARDS' (it is along the bottom navigation) you will see the reviews and awards that many review sites have...errr...awarded them. The 'Egg' has them. Right now all they have is a refurb unit though. Retails are out-of-stock.​

/THREAD JACK ALERT
 
Ice Czar said:
personally Id probably get the Neopower, though if you have a UPS (which you should) the difference in the Load Regulation spec wouldnt mean alot
Load regulation matters wether you have a UPS or not. Line (AC) regulation is what you should be worried about... I'm sure you probably just got out of bed or you're still hung over from new year's eve, so I won't be too hard on you ;)

And apart from on-line UPSes, I haven't seen any UPSes that do "proper" regulation of the AC line, eg... they regulate their output so it's exactly 120V. The voltage regulation feature on SmartUPSes uses the main transformer as an autotransformer to boost a sagging line up to 120V without switching to battery, and that's done by jumping taps with a relay, there's no fine adjustment.

Though any UPS worth its salt will switch over if AC drops below 100V, and any power supply worth its salt will hold up and regulate during that time period. Provided you don't have a Powmax supply plugged into a cheap Tripp-Lite, you're fine.
 
I've seen you comment in the past that Sparkle uses Zippy drives. I haven't found a Zippy drive to match this Sparkle drive, as it indicates only 1 rail and the 550W Zippy has 2. I'm specifically referring to the drive below. Comments on this?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270522

Would you recommend this over the Antec Neopower or Enermax Noisetaker 2.0? I don't care about it being flashy. I simply want the most reliable PSU that'll be able to handle OCing well.

Also, would you recommend the following Zippy over the Antec/Enermax mentioned above?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-708&depa=0
 
To Ice Czar, but welcome any recommendations:

I am new on the list and would like some recommendations on the PSU to get. What I have read, Czar and others have a good grasp of power supply qualities.

Setup:

AMD 64 3500+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
1G OCZ PC3200 Gold
XFX GeF 6800
160G Segate SATA
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000 (Love this case!)

I am currently running the "stock" 400W supply. I would like to overclock this puppy (not to its extreme range) with just the stock fan setups-- 2 120's 1 90. In the future, plan to add another drive, more memory, upgrade video. I would also like the ability to upgrade to future products (2-3yr time frame- mobo, processor).

What power supplies would you recommend? I would like to keep below $100, but willing to spend a little extra if required (another $20?) for future upgrades. Thanks for your help.

George
 
Tiny said:
THREAD JACK ALERT

IceCzar, or others that are in the know, what do you think of the following:



Hexus.net has a review of the Tagan up. Very impressive I think.

In the states they are sold under the E-Power brand and labeled as the "Tagan" series of PSU's. If you go to the main Tagan website, and click 'AWARDS' (it is along the bottom navigation) you will see the reviews and awards that many review sites have...errr...awarded them. The 'Egg' has them. Right now all they have is a refurb unit though. Retails are out-of-stock.​

/THREAD JACK ALERT


Nevermind....it is in the stickies at the top of the PS forum.

SORRY :D
 
Back
Top