PSU recommendation for OC GTX970

ryuen

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I recently got a new GTX970 and have been running into issues with even a modest 100Mhz OC:
Games or benches will hard reboot the PC near instantly (less than a minute), way before the card has time to heat up. And this is no BSOD restart, it is a complete and immediate power cut followed by a reboot a few seconds after.
It is working fine on stock speeds tho.

My current PSU is an Enermax Infiniti 650W which should in theory provide ample power, it provided enough for my old GTX570 & later 770 GPU's.

As this happens so fast and my PSU error beeps (such a nice feature to have) indicate the safeties are being tripped, I believe the PSU is getting overloaded and I may need to invest in a beefier one.

I am considering 3 850W PSU's that fit my budget:
Seasonic M12II-850 EVO
Enermax ERV850EWT-G Revolution 87+
XFX ProSeries 850W

I've always been happy with Enermax and have using them for over 10 years, never had Seasonic or XFX but reviews lead me to believe they are better than Enermax now?

Anyway, any suggestions welcome :D

Last edited:
Seasonic (XFX uses Seasonic PSUs) have been very competitively priced lately, and with Corsair using them as well, they have gained a lot of clout in the enthusiast community. That said, they also seem to have a higher rate of coil whine complaints.

A 920 at 3.8 ghz and a GTX 970 overclocked wouldn't draw more than 600 watts. 850 watts is massive overkill. I would go with a good 550-650 watt power supply.

Thanks for your reply, I ended up with a Seasonic M12II-850 EVO as the store I went to didn't have anything in stock that I liked in the lower wattage/price categories and this one was about the best bang for buck they had.

No more power cuts and the 970 is running a nice OC now so my issues are resolved :D

Back