PSU Recommendation for my build

cowcow339

n00b
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
4
Hi all.

I bought this computer from newegg.
HP Pavilion Elite h8-1039 (QU123AA#ABA) Desktop PC
Phenom II X6 1065T(2.9GHz)
8GB DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Here is the page from HP:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5154644


The PSU is 460W.
Most of the comments say that it's too low.
1) What is your recommendation? Should I replace the PSU?
2) On a side note, does anyone know if this will void warranty?

Thanks so much, I know that I'm pretty much a hardware newbie.
Have a great Thanksgiving all,
CowCow
 
Not too sure about the quality of HP's power supplies, but OEM power supplies are in general decent units. 460 watts is definitely enough for your system.
 
That's a solid AcBel unit and, as stated, comfortably enough for your system.. no reason to change it.
 
I know everyone is saying that you don't need to upgrade it. And i'm not usually one to argue with the crowd. But if you wanted to be safe, and give you room to overclock and add in fans and stuff i would think you could get a 700w for not to expensive somewhere.

For now it would run the system, but make sure you upgrade it before you put in a nicer GPU or anything.
 
I know everyone is saying that you don't need to upgrade it. And i'm not usually one to argue with the crowd. But if you wanted to be safe, and give you room to overclock and add in fans and stuff i would think you could get a 700w for not to expensive somewhere.
It's an HP computer. He won't be doing any overclocking.
 
Even if he could do some overclocking, 460 watts would still be fine for a 6850 rig. During gaming you wont be drawing more than 300 watts if that much so 700 would be a little much.
 
That's not a bad little system for a pre-built. That PSU is more than enough as said above. You could even upgrade to a 6970 if it will fit in that box.
 
Thank you for all your responses everyone.
I won't be upgrading it then, and you're right, I won't be overclocking haha.

Happy Holidays!
-CowCow
 
Back
Top