PSU questions for AMD o/c

venm11

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
2,236
I was considering using my old antec TP430 for my new AMD board for the time being. Will I absolutely need a 24-pin adapter, or can I actually stick the 4-pin alongside the 20?

(I'm planning to run a dfi am2 board, 4000+ dual-core, gf 7900gt (with the 6-pin adapter), 1 hard drive, some fans...)

Secondly.... what characteristics should I look for in a new PSU? From what I can tell, that AMD likes to have heavy amperage on the 5v rail.... and the antec TP2-550 is the most I've seen (40amps). There's also a TP3 out but no specs as of yet.
 
(Bump)

What do you think, folks? Is an Antec 430 enough for AM2 X2 OC, plus 7900GT?
 
How old is your power supply ?

There is a risk that a older powersupply has a weak 12v line so it's best to upgrade if it is over 3-4 years.
 
check out my sig, my powersupply is weak for sure - and i have a dual core opty arriving soonish - just sold an x2 4400 because it was crap overclocking...

I would say get a new psu, but then again I still havent upgraded mine ;)
 
Back
Top