PSU Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MyThLoSt, Aug 8, 2018.

1. MyThLoSt

MyThLoSt Limp Gawd

I was putting together my new build and i could get everything to run and boot to bios except when i plugged my hd in it actually shorted the psu to where you had to turn the power off and wait a little bit then power up. The lights would blink for 1 sec then everything dead. With no hard drive it boots into bios. I tried 2 different hard drives both did the exact same thing. I tried all the different 6 pin ports on the psu and the same. Seasonic support told me to try a fan with the molex and the fans leds wouldn't turn on or the fans spin, but i plugged them into my old pc and all worked. Anyone has something like this happen where like the 6 pin section of the psu doesn't work. It's a seasonic 650 focus+ gold. Seasonic support told me to return it and i have another coming.

2. jmilcher

jmilcher 2[H]4U

I would rma the psu and be done with the situation.

How did you shirt it out with a hard drive? That's not easy to do with sata or molex.

3. MyThLoSt

MyThLoSt Limp Gawd

Idk if it technical shorts but it wont boot or anything it just flashes the mobo lights for 1 sec and you have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to start again, and only does it with a hd plugged into it. with a fan it will boot into bios but the fan wont spin or anything like it has no power to it.

4. ~CS~

~CS~ Limp Gawd

Sounds like the PSU was defective, it's rare with a reputable manufacturer like seasonic, but it does happen. Hopefully your HD survived the ordeal.

5. MyThLoSt

MyThLoSt Limp Gawd

Just to update got the new psu and worked fine but both hds dead, had to buy a new one, but atleast its all working now.