PSU problem with old P2 ATX mobo

JAK

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
68
Hi. I built an old P2 in a box just for the fun of it. When I started it up for the first time, the PSU turned on but there was no output to the monitor. I turned the computer off, double checked the connections, and tried to turn it back on. The PSU fan would not turn, and nothing happened. I tried another PSU, but that one wouldn't start either. The mobo has a standard 20 pin connector. I was wondering what the problem is and if there is a way I can fix it. I'm not sure if I have to have to shunt the extra 4 pin connector or another connector. Thanks for your help.
 
well it sounds like an ATX compatible board? (as opposed to an old AT)
some specifics would be helpful, which board? which supplies?

it could easily be a signaling issue
AT supplies had to be manually turned on, ATX employs softpower on APCI
in addition ATX supplies added +3.3V rail whereas AT supplies didnt have that rail
its been so long Im not positive the connectors were keyed differently but I think they were

the 4 pin connector your talking about is likely an auxillary +12V and that board would have no need of it (nor the CPU which is powered via the voltage regulation modual off the +5V rail)
 
Hi. It's an ATX mobo and PSU. I'm not sure of the manufacturer of the mobo, I can't find it anywhere on the board. I'm using a slot P2 500MHz preocessor with 256mb of PC100 ram. The odd thing is that the PSU started the first time I tried it, and I know it's not a PSU problem since I tried swapping it with another one.
 
there never was a p2 500... those were only p3's

are you sure the board supports the chip? are you sure the board isnt an OEM (like, dell) board? some OEM boards of that era have some funky PSU pinouts and if you plug them into a standard atx board... well, itll let the magic smoke out.
 
Hi. I know it's not OEM. I didn't think there were 500MHz P2s, the person I got it from must've given me the wrong info. I'm pretty sure the board supports it, though.
 
Back
Top