PSU Problem, PC DEAD...please help

paintballax4ever

Limp Gawd
I was playing Oblivion and all of a sudden my computer turns off. I later find out that my PSU is dead, so I put in another one from the computer downstairs. I try to boot it up, but no luck it doesn't boot up at all. I'm making this post to find out why it won't boot up. I think it may be because of the motherboard, but I don't know for sure. Would the computer still boot up if the cpu was dead? Because the computer doesn't boot up at all...like I'll press the power button and nothing will happen. I already requested a RMA for the powersupply and I'm waiting to see if I should ask for a RMA for the CPU or the motherboard.

Yes, I'm a newb.

Specifications:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Prescott 800MHz FSB Socket 478 Processor
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB 7200 RPM SATA
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB
Thermaltake 430W PSU (dead)
ANTEC 430W TruPower PSU (didn't work with this rig AFTER the first one died)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

How do you know the first one died if the rig is doing the same thing with the second one?

Sounds to me like it's possible that your rig experienced some other kind of failure.

Do the fans and stuff come on when you press the power button on your case? Have you made sure the rear power switch on the new Antec is in the ON position?

You keep saying "it doesn't boot up." "Booting up" is the process the PC does after it posts.

Do you mean the PC is not powering up or it's powering up and not posting or is it posting but not booting?

I know the PSU is dead, because I used it on my second rig and it worked for a bit then died again...after that it doesn't work at all.

When I say nothing happens, I literally mean nothing happens. No fans, no pc powering up, no nothing...

I'm about to call ASUS right now for a RMA, unless you can guys can convince me that it isn't my motherboard. I think when my PSU gave out it shorted my motherboard...but I'm just guessing. What do you guys think?

Okay I feel really dumb, but I tried the PSU from my downstair's computer again today and it worked...

I swear though...yesterday I tried it and I made sure I switched the power on and it didn't work. Oh well...stupid me...problem solved.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Blue Falcon > me
Common Sense > me

Back