PSU Problem, help!

srealm

n00b
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
5
Ok, so I think I have a power supply problem, my psu only provides 11.7x to 11.8x on the 12v rail, and all the other rails are a little low too. Even the core that is suppose to have 1.575 is variable down to 1.49. Do you think this would cause stability problems? Do you think I am drawing too much power? Here are my components:
p4 2.4c@3.36
Thermaltake bigwater kit
1gb ocz pc4800
PNY g800gt @ 400, 1100
2 wd 80gb in raid 0
1 seagate 250gb
1 liteon cdrw
1 liteon dvdrw
1 120mm fan
2 cathodes
floppy drive

All of this running off of a Thermaltake 480watt power supply. Does anybody now if I can turn the voltage rail up in this power supply if I'm drawing a little to much power? I already ordered the sunbeam modular 550 unit, but until then I would like some advise.
 
A few pieces of advice...ditch the cold cathodes the inverters are cheap and "dirty" up your power pretty badly and check the voltages with a multimeter.

What model is the Thermaltake? I doubt it has adjustable pots as I don't seem to remember a TT 480w that did...although i could be wrong. Even if it does adjusting pots without a DMM reading would be unadvisable.
 
Yes it is 18amp on the 12v, I bet that is my problem. I'm probably running right at the threshold now. About the cathodes, is there another option for case lighting? I guess maybe a bunch of UV led's, right?
 
srealm said:
About the cathodes, is there another option for case lighting? I guess maybe a bunch of UV led's, right?

That would be better......though I am sure the guys in case mods could help you out better than I.
 
Back
Top