• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU or motherboard issues?

Insatri

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2018
Messages
2
Good day everyone!


I'm having some serious issues with my computer, and I can't really pinpoint the root cause. It's an older build, though good enough to play games such as Destiny 2 or the recently launched Black Ops 4 at almost max details in 4K; this of course after buying the 1070 GTX card last year:

MB: MSI Z77A-G43
CPU: i7 3770K @4Ghz (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO cooler)
RAM: 2x 8GB Patriot 1600 Mhz (running at 1866 Mhz)
GPU: Asus 1070 GTX
PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750
Other: 1x 120 GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, DVDRW and a case fan

It all started a few weeks ago when I was trying to turn on the PC, and even though there was power since I was hearing the HDD and DVDRW specific sound, as well as seeing the fans spinning (or the LED lights in all their colourful glory) - nothing appeared on the display. I ignored the behaviour since it was occurring maybe once every 15-20 times I was using the computer. I started to monitor the problem after it accelerated quite fast, being now in the opposite pole where maybe it boots correctly after 50-60 tries.

To be more specific, the white lights from my PSU cables are visible and like I said, it "feels" everything is powered on (including the CPU, GPU and case fans). Also tried the on-board HDMI. I realised it might be from the motherboard after noticing my RGB keyboard, headset and wireless stick are not working, the USB ports having no juice. I tried all combinations with our without the RAM, removed and put back the MB, checked all the cables, tried to boot with less items (HDD, case fan, DVDRW) - no luck. I was almost ready to place an order today for a new 2700X PC when out of the blue I said well, let me try once more. And it worked properly! I then checked the voltages, and the 3.3 is really 3.3, the CPU one is around 1 and the 12V rail stays at 11.97. I made sure to enter the BIOS and revert any OC. Of course, it was a once-only occurrence since now it doesn't want to "start" anymore.

I'm literally out of ideas. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, though to be noted I don't have another PSU to try.

Much appreciated,
Antonio
 
Last edited:
Always start by the PSU it may be the +5VSB, (typical issue on older PSUs) also the 12V at 11.97 under no load on a high end high quality PSU as yours is not anything close to normal..
 
11.97 is well withing specs. 5% up or down is the standard so your good there. thats a really solid unit. if its really old it could always be the cause but with no way to test it your stuck. tbh i think your on the right track. i would lean more towards the mb slowly dying on you. if possible i would pack it up and head to the closest pc shop. you can usually get them to test gear for you for next to nothing.
 
Many thanks for the replies, as well as the related suggestions!

Luckily I had a friend who brought two PSUs together with his current PC and after several (yet, thorough) tests it's clear the MB was indeed faulty. To be honest, I've thought about buying a second hand Z77 motherboard - but I just took advantage of the situation and acquired the following:
  • MB: GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Pro
  • CPU: Intel i5-9600K (I've kept the CM cooler)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3000 Mhz
I've already sold my old RAM, will also put the i7 3770k for sale this weekend so I can dampen the investment. I must admit, all the pretty lights mesmerize me now, hah!

The new CPU stays at around 35 degrees in idle, reaching maximum 55-61 during full load (depends on the game). It's odd, but the RAM sits at 35-40 degrees - is this normal? Seems a bit high. Regardless, with the new "system" I'm hitting 35 - 45 fps in Black Ops 4 @4K and settings set to Ultra (60-80 fps @1400p with Ultra as well).
 
Back
Top