• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

psu or mobo?

What should be my first replacement purchase?

  • Board

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PSU

    Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Something else you idiot!!!

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    3

SticKx911

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Mar 14, 2004
Messages
3,136
My computer just started turning itself off randomly. No rhyme or reason, and no reboots. It just turns straight off like the power cord was yanked out. The PSU is an aged ~5 years, but pretty well built 850w silverstone. my board is a newer but cheaper asrock (I can look up details later). I'm leaning toward board, but I can't help but think the age of the PSU might be showing even though I've never really made it work hard.
 
PSU, you can quite easily borrow another's PSU to see if PSU is indeed the problem (it's also pretty easy to take out and put in). If changing PSU doesn't work, then you can consider changing mobo.
 
I don't really have a source to borrow from right now, so it's which to buy and try first. :)

with cable routing, the board is an easier swap. lol
 
Is your PSU modular? if it is then you can try buying the exact same model as the PSU you have now, unplug all your cables at the PSU, swap out the PSU and plug the cables back in, you won't need to take apart your computer.
 
Damn you and your awesome idea! Yea, fully modular. Think all silverstone wiring will work (say if I got a newer line or less watts) or should I shoot for the exact one?
 
Back
Top