PSU: Now or Then?

When should I get the power supply?

• Get the Corsair with the Mobo change (3 weeks)

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Get the Corsair with the video change (early spring)

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Stay with the NeoPower until it dies

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

fuzzy34

Am I Really Still [H]ere?
Here's my dilemma....

Current System:

Biostar Tforce 6100-939
AMD A64 3800+
2x512MB PC4000 Crucial Ballistix Tracer
2x512MB PC3200 Corsair XMS Pro
BFG 7800gt
80GB WD
160GB WD
Antec NeoPower 480W

I plan to upgrade in the next 3 weeks the following components:

Biostar Tforce 6100-939 -> ASUS P5K-VM
AMD A64 3800+ -> Intel E6750
(Memory) -> 2x1GB DDR2-800 Crucial

I will upgrade the video card next spring.

Finally, my question is should I upgrade my power supply from the NeoPower to a Corsair 520 with the first round of upgrades, or wait until I get the video card to get it? I have had no problems with the NeoPower as of right now, but know of the capacitor problem. Do I need that extra power or possibly better reliability of the Corsair?

First up, none of the above.

Wait until you get the video upgrade, then buy. You should be able to get more for the money then (it's just the nature of the tech scene) and I don't know that the Corsair (while it is a very good unit) will be enough for whatever you decide on come spring. If the NeoPower gives up the ghost on you (wouldn't surprise me, I've had nothing but bad luck with Antec branded PSUs and would never recommend one) replace it will a 600+ watt unit like the 620HX or this Silverstone. Price difference isn't all that much, and it's always a good thing to have a little extra headroom with regard to PSUs.

First up, none of the above.

Wait until you get the video upgrade, then buy. You should be able to get more for the money then (it's just the nature of the tech scene) and I don't know that the Corsair (while it is a very good unit) will be enough for whatever you decide on come spring. If the NeoPower gives up the ghost on you (wouldn't surprise me, I've had nothing but bad luck with Antec branded PSUs and would never recommend one) replace it will a 600+ watt unit like the 620HX or this Silverstone. Price difference isn't all that much, and it's always a good thing to have a little extra headroom with regard to PSUs.

I don't think I'll need something as powerful as a 600W+ PSU. I'm running a SFF in a SilverStone SG-01, so globs of power (and lots of wires are not wanted too) are not needed. I was considering that 520 for its being modular and having a good rep around the forums. My video upgrade next spring will likely be (assuming it comes out by then) is a 9 series nvidia.

I'm in a similar situation, I have an a64 3800+ on an AM2 board with a newly aquired eVGA 640mb 8800 GTS so I am also considering PSU solutions. I have an FSP AX450-PN psu right now and have been recommended to purchase the Corsair 520. From what I was told the 520 will be more than enough.

I'm in a similar situation, I have an a64 3800+ on an AM2 board with a newly aquired eVGA 640mb 8800 GTS so I am also considering PSU solutions. I have an FSP AX450-PN psu right now and have been recommended to purchase the Corsair 520. From what I was told the 520 will be more than enough.

Should be, yes. It's a single rail design and a high quality unit, so it can actually provide rated wattage... always a plus. Look around when buying it, though, as Newegg tends to overcharge.

Is the 3800+ an X2? If not you should seriously consider a CPU upgrade as well -- more and more games are getting really CPU intensive, and the extra core is a big help.

Back