• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU not responding to power switch

Joined
Jul 2, 2004
Messages
810
I don't think I can do anything for my PSU besides toss it out and get another but wanted to run this past ya'll before I do.

I have a SilenX iXtrema Pro 600w PSU. (Discussed in this thread a while back)

The problem is that it's not responding to my power switch on my PC. I turn it on, nothing happens. I replace the unit with a spare, hit the power switch and my PC turns on. When using the faulty PSU, the mobo does have green LEDs on it so I know the PSU is at least supplying the low voltage but it's just not responding to the "ok, time to turn on and power up the machine" signal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
AWS
 
Have you tried jumping the PSU without the motherboard by shorting green to black with a paperclip?
 
Yes, I have. I have jumpered the leads for the power direcly on the mobo and with the SilenX PSU nothing happens

When this first started, I was trying to turn off the PC by holding down the power button for 5 seconds - but it never turned off so I had to end up pulling the AC cord in the back of the unit. Now it won't turn on with this PSU. I've had issues before with this happening so I'd unplug the AC cord, wait 30 seconds and try again but I just always attributed them to being a bad switch because eventually the computer would turn on. Now I guess it's not the switch but the PSU. (?)

Thanks.
 
That remind me of my old Ultra X-Connect shutting down by itself and not being able to start before 10-15 mins. It might be a protection tripping off.

Best bet is to get another one.
 
Some PSUs latch off if over current, over voltage or over temp. If you disconnect the PSU from the MOBO and from wall power, plug it back in to wall power, and jumper green to black on the MOBO connector... and it does not start, you have a bad PSU.
 
I have the PSU sitting on top of my desk, not connected to anything and I jumpered the green and black wires (they are right next to each other) on the end of the 24-pin mobo connector. The fan spins up as though it is being turned on. So next I attached a HDD to one of the Molex connectors and I once again, applied power and jumpered the green/black connectors - the HDD does spin up and fan in the PSU spins.

Could this be a problem with the PSU once and a while or if it were the PSU would it not come and go?

Thanks.
 
One more quick question...

Since the PSU will power up if jumpered between the black and green wires, is the PSU supposed to turn off if I remove the jumper or should it stay on? Currently it shuts down if I remove the manual jumper.
 
Frank4d said:
Some PSUs latch off if over current, over voltage or over temp. If you disconnect the PSU from the MOBO and from wall power, plug it back in to wall power, and jumper green to black on the MOBO connector... and it does not start, you have a bad PSU.

assuming there is enough of a load on it so the power good signal can be sent

whenever doing the green to black trick that is important to remember
add a few fans and drives as a load, not all mobo's place enough load on the right rail
and when its a standalone with no mobo its even more important

I distinctly recall with embarassment showing a "tech" how to jumper an ATX12V only to not have it work, because there wasnt a load on it
 
Back
Top