• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PSU & Motherboard question

GGtW

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
164
Hello all,
It's been about 5-6 years since I've had to build a computer and I'm a bit rusty...havent kept up with all the changes.

Currently purchasing a ASUS M4A77D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131618

My question is it says it needs a 24 pin PSU. I don't see one of the 4 pin power connectors on it...does mean it's not there but I was looking at the 20+4 PSU's and don't necessarily understand the different between the 24 and 20+4. Will this PSU work with this motherboard?

This is the one I've picked out is...

SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Thanks!
 
That power supply will work fine. Any new PSU will have a 24 pin connector for the motherboard. 20+4 means the extra 4 pins are removable for older motherboards that do not need the extra 4 pins.
 
Superdemon -> Thanks! I don't remember 20+4 being a option few years back...would of been nice when I accidentally bought the wrong the wrong PSU on my first build.
 
that mobo has the 4 pin psu connection near the cpu socket

That 4-pin is completely separate from the main 20 + 4 pin ATX connector. That 4-pin socket is actually the ATX+12V socket (commonly known as the "Pentium 4 power supply socket").

As Superdemon stated, the "20 + 4" is a modular connector whose extra 4 pins can be either left attached for motherboards with 24-pin ATX sockets or detached for motherboards that have the older 20-pin ATX sockets.
 
That 4-pin is completely separate from the main 20 + 4 pin ATX connector. That 4-pin socket is actually the ATX+12V socket (commonly known as the "Pentium 4 power supply socket").

As Superdemon stated, the "20 + 4" is a modular connector whose extra 4 pins can be either left attached for motherboards with 24-pin ATX sockets or detached for motherboards that have the older 20-pin ATX sockets.

Duh.. Now re-read the OP as he stated that he didn't see the 4 pin connector, Not that he didn't see the 24 pin connector.
 
Back
Top