PSU keeps dying

Last week my computer wouldn't fire up. I started trouble shooting and swapping psu from an old system worked. It started up fine and I was able to reconfigure the BIOS. I decided to refrag the HD and run disk cleanup, and then shut it off and went out of town for the weekend. Tonight I get home and go to turn on the PC and it is dead again.

Something isn't right. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Big-Smooth

Yea your machine is older than dirt ;)

CMOS Battery? Make sure you don't have any oozing (Leaking) Capacitors. Epox mobos are known to do this, my 8RDA+ did it.

I didn't consider a dead cmos battery. How would that affect my pc not getting power? (I'm asking cause I don't understand, not that I think you are incorrect)

Smooth

Does the original psu work? Jump it, paperclip between green and black, style. It should fire right up.

Does the original psu work? Jump it, paperclip between green and black, style. It should fire right up.

I thought it did. I replaced it as a troubleshooting step and my spare PSU started right up. Now it is not working either. So, I really don't want to go a new PSU and have another dead PSU.

I'm running out of ideas...

First you need to find out if those PSU's are truly dead. Do the paperclip test and if they fire up, test them in that other system you were talking about.

sorry to hear that, you can be thankfull it didn't start a fire at least...

my work had a slew of workstations with bad PSU's (probibly with bad caps like the ones on your mobo). The users would describe it as a small fizz like a bug in a bug zapper then it billowed white smoke till the plug was pulled. I found it hard to belive untill i was formatting one for "recycling" and the same thing happned.

sorry to hear that, you can be thankfull it didn't start a fire at least...

my work had a slew of workstations with bad PSU's (probibly with bad caps like the ones on your mobo). The users would describe it as a small fizz like a bug in a bug zapper then it billowed white smoke till the plug was pulled. I found it hard to belive untill i was formatting one for "recycling" and the same thing happned.

Let me guess, Dell GX270s? I had the same problem at my work.

Now time to get that plastic out and order a new motherboard. Usually a bit cheaper than a new PSU. ;)

Back