PSU keeps dieng..

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, the other day a friend of my dad came to me for computer help, I didn't get to look too much into the computer spec's or anything, it was an older socket a chip all I know, SD ram too..

The problem was as they said, "the computer shut off and didn't turn back on,"

The case panels (left, right, and top) were open when I recived the computer and when I turned it on, all I saw the PSU make a spark from the little vent holes from the PSU.

I just took out a Antec 350 PSU which I had laying around and put that in there, it worked fine.

They just called me saying that the computer won't start again(same problem), and they will bring the computer back to me tomorrow.

I have no idea what's wrong with it, I guess I will have to look into it a little more but do you guys have any idea why this could be happening without much knowledge on the computer itself?

Thanks, and sorry abotu the lack of info on the computer specs.

Is he plugging the comp right into the wall? or is it on a power strip?

He could be getting surges and frying the PSU... maybe even the whole system...

If its secure on a good power strip... then I would say take the computer apart completly, get some canned air, dust everything off and rebuild it.... and see if it works then...

Think it might be a heat problem?

After it shuts-down, is it possible to turn it back on after 15 minutes or so?

Maybe get a new CPU fan?

FaultySanity said:
Think it might be a heat problem?

After it shuts-down, is it possible to turn it back on after 15 minutes or so?

Maybe get a new CPU fan?
That is a good posibility... if you get it working again... go right into the bios and look at the temps... monitor to see if its getting to hot...

Hrm, i'm going on the power strip surge right now..

The CPU heatsink is same same as the stock on some of the newer socket A CPU's and this is an older CPU so i'm almost sure the CPU temperature's are fine, I couldn't check as the bios had a password set on it, but I will look into it.

Not sure, I hate being the tech support guy :(

edi.. \/ \/

Oh yeah, when I had the computer at my house I only had it on for a few minutes so it could be that they're outlet/surge protector thing is the problem..

The computer is for a Sub-Way that the guy owns, and it runs the cash register so every minute that it is not connected is money for them.. I'm going to suggest I build them a totally new computer so they have something stable for the buisness.

slaya said:
The computer is for a Sub-Way that the guy owns, and it runs the cash register so every minute that it is not connected is money for them.. I'm going to suggest I build them a totally new computer so they have something stable for the buisness.

get him a dell from one of the server deals. Trust me, when the new one breaks you'll be the asshole.

Sounds like he's got some dirty power and needs to invest in a good line conditioner or UPS with AVR

Back