PSU Issues

StangerD5

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a new 350w power supply.. the thing works in all but one of my computers. All other power supplies I have work in the computer that the new PSU doesn't.

Is there some kind of compatibility thing I am missing here?

The psu / computer in question is an AMD 1.1ghz with epox 8kta3+ motherboard with a "Mad Dog" 350w psu.
Like I said eralier, the supply works in all other computers.

TIA!

edit: I should mention that if you hit the power button, the fans on the cpu and power supply turn for a sec or two, then shut off. It takes a while for it to even want to do that again - and if I play with it enough, it'll eventually turn on and start working... this is wierd.

Check the capacitors on the mobo, sounds to me like they are either broken, or another part of the mobo is. If the PSU works on other machines then you can rule that out as the cause, and rule the mobo as prime suspect.

Hmmm I was worried about possible motherboard failure - but I started to think otherwise when I tested OTHER power supplies and they all work with this one.

In your opinion / knowledge, can a bad motherboard work with some power supplies and not others?

Oops, didn't notice that.

It shouldn't be doing that, make sure all the connections to the mobo are fine. You never know, the connection from the switch might be dodgy... or it might be some sort of freaky thing where it doesn't like the PSU. I'm not sure, unless the PSU supplies a lower or higher voltage than the mobo expects, or not quite enough current. But by all rights it should work.

The thing works with every PSU I have except for this one. lol.
Im going to go ahead and read the link you gave me and see if I can figure anything out. This is too strange.

Back