• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

@#@!!#$@ PSU is beeping at me

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
Joined
Jul 8, 2001
Messages
27,174
<rant>
Its actually more like a nerve grinding whine
and I know exactly what the problem is, one of the moduals has given up the ghost on my
Zippy MR3-6450P and its the alarm, its still powering 10 drives with no sign of stopping on just 2 moduals
but damn its annoying

Ive been planning on picking up a spare, but now I guess I have to
they list out at $145, but luckily Ive found one on ebay for a fraction of that
only there are 5 days left and no buy now option,
now I get to wait and hope I dont get outbid
:rolleyes:
</end rant>
 
Counting on Ebay to come thru on a PSU issue?

You sir, are either exceptionally brave, or desperate ;)
 
Ice Czar said:
<rant>
Its actually more like a nerve grinding whine
and I know exactly what the problem is, one of the moduals has given up the ghost on my
Zippy MR3-6450P and its the alarm, its still powering 10 drives with no sign of stopping on just 2 moduals
but damn its annoying

Ive been planning on picking up a spare, but now I guess I have to
they list out at $145, but luckily Ive found one on ebay for a fraction of that
only there are 5 days left and no buy now option,
now I get to wait and hope I dont get outbid
:rolleyes:
</end rant>

If I was mean, Ice Czar .. I'd place a bid on it..



BTW.. I don't see any zippy's on ebay that DON'T have buy it now..at least no 6450s...

The one you've bid on is a *250*
Yeah, it's a replacement, but it's a "smaller" replacement, no?

Or is it 250+250+250 = 450 (wouldn't it be 225 x 3 for 450, or 500 total?)
 
both actually :p

one the one hand I got this supply off ebay 2 plus years ago in a case deal
N+1 supplies are rather expensive list, it worked out to basically free

think of it this way, any other supply and right now I wouldnt have access to my NAS
thats the great advantage of shared bus redundants

unfortunately, considering the load on it my options are
1. I live with the alarm, till I replace the modual
2. pull the PCP&C out of my workstation (not an option)
3. hardwire two PSUs together and hang em outside the rackmount

if I have to pony up the full $145 list for a replacement modual
I just might pony up an additional $50 and get another PCP&C Turbo Cool

But If I can get the replacement modual, then Id likely figure out how to repair the bad modual I currently have as well given time, eventually giving me a hot spare

this isnt the first time the alarm has gone off, but it is the first time a simple reboot or reseating hasnt cured it, popping the top on these moduals is easier saud than done since the heatsink has a thermal interface with the top of the enclosure, and while the back is open, its so densely packed you cant see very far into the modual

I will be tearing it apart in the next couple of days for any obvious clues
and its worth repairing and or getting a spare modual for, its just the current need to solve the problem and the annoyance factor :p
 
Laforge said:
..
The one you've bid on is a *250*
Yeah, it's a replacement, but it's a "smaller" replacement, no?

the MIN-6250P-R is the replacement modual for a MR3-6460P
(and a few other N+1 zippy models R3U, R2T series)

the MR3-6460 is basically 3x250 supplies on a shared bus
that is just one of them
right now as an analogy Im running a RAID5 array with one bad drive
If I loose another modual Im screwed

they all share the draw, so with one gone there is more work for the two left
but they are able to deal with the draw with just 2 supplies
the basic premise of an N+1
the N stands for the load you need to power
you can have an N+1 dual modual PSU, if each modual alone can deal with the load
since this is a "mini" redundant its spread over 3 moduals, any two can deal with the load

and it is 250 + 250 + 250 = 460

each modual is
+3.3V 15A
+5V 25A
+12V 16A

but the overall supply is 460W + 250W
or a dual + 1 balanced load sharing design
so it is a 460 watt supply, but it has 250 watts of extra capacity in need
otherwise the 460 watts (or more accurately whatever the real load is) is spread equally over the three supplies
 
Ice Czar said:
the MIN-6250P-R is the replacement modual for a MR3-6460P
(and a few other N+1 zippy models R3U, R2T series)

the MR3-6460 is basically 3x250 supplies on a shared bus
that is just one of them
right now as an analogy Im running a RAID5 array with one bad drive
If I loose another modual Im screwed

they all share the draw, so with one gone there is more work for the two left
but they are able to deal with the draw with just 2 supplies
the basic premise of an N+1
the N stands for the load you need to power
you can have an N+1 dual modual PSU, if each modual alone can deal with the load
since this is a "mini" redundant its spread over 3 moduals, any two can deal with the load

and it is 250 + 250 + 250 = 460

each modual is
+3.3V 15A
+5V 25A
+12V 16A

but the overall supply is 460W + 250W
or a dual + 1 balanced load sharing design
so it is a 460 watt supply, but it has 250 watts of extra capacity in need
otherwise the 460 watts (or more accurately whatever the real load is) is spread equally over the three supplies


I've been looking at the zippy psu's.. but the thing I can't seem to get my head around is this.

Your rig says the following :
5V Amps : Max : 50.00
12V amps Max : 32.00
total output power not to exceed 460watts

Whilst my lowly enermax eg-651
sits at 36a on 3.3v,. 36a on 5v, 36a on 12v with 550 watts (650 peak, 550 actual)
No, it's not redundant, but, what I can't figure out is, why these "Special" psu's from zippy have such low (comparitively) amps on the 12v..

Sure, 50 amps for 5v is nice, but isn't 32a on 12v for a multi processing system a little light?

Or maybe I just don't know bupkiss about psu's, but don't hdd's pull a lot over 12V?
 
very observant, well except for the part when I said I bought it used over 2 years ago :p

it is indeed an older +5V geared PSU at least how Im using it
its currently powering a KR7A single 1800+ CPU on a mobo with no +12V auxillary mobo connector
32A of +12V power is thus all for drives ;)
Its not one of my EPS12V supplies, and has a 20 pin connector
(though they do come with a 24 pin EPS12V, they also figure you know how to add up your rails)

its modern big brother would be the
M1Z3-6760P3V
which weights in as a 2+1 760 Watt
with 40A on the combined +3.3V\+5V
49A on the +12V


they are horribly expensive simply because they are N+1
thus really for the enterprise, where downtime for a power problem isnt an option
if I had a replacement modual in stock. Id have been annoyed for all of 30 seconds
and wouldnt even need to shutdown to replace it
 
Well several years ago, I got annoyed at the alarm from one of my redundant powersupplies was making and I silenced it. If macguyer could always find a way to fix something, I could take one of his skills of a paperclip to make this quit beeping.


I had a estasis redundant powersupply, it might be the same on a zippy. Take a paperclip, and find the buzzer, unfold the clip like you would as you are trying to manually eject a cd. Use the clip to prod the buzzer and work your way around the inside of the buzzer with the clip and you should silence it.

Doing this will not damage your powersupply, it will only shut up the annoying buzzer or beeping sound.
 
well in this case the housing isnt anything but a simple backplane and fan structure
and I gather the buzzers are somewhere near the front of each modual and pretty inaccessible
when one is down the other two moduals LEDs flash, and I assume both thier buzzers go off

but as mentioned before their enclosures are actually attached to the heatsinks
(gives new meaning to hotswapping :p your supposed to wear gloves)
so I appreciate your suggestion, but in this case I think I'll just have to deal with it ;)

HA which I just did
when I bought my K8W I pulled that supply and used the case for my workstation w\ the PCP&C
well got a second 4U case and swapped them back
point is when I pulled the supply out the first time, I was unable to get the Buzzer reset switch out with it and had to cut it off (the damn connector was frozen)
well I found that end this morning and spliced it back on :D :D
now Its quiet but degraded still
 
Back
Top